cool big black snake on porch

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
View attachment 236370

Yes! It is always good for my morale to see good Fred again. We have had 2 real warm days and a very mild night in between, and here is his first sortie of the year, i presume.
I went back out a few minutes later and he was gone; probably on the hunt for snacks.

Wow.... now “that’s a snake” - thanks for keeping your thread updated!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
He was just shy because he wasn't looking his best. Now he is all shed and gorgeous ready for photos.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
So far this year i have only seen one of my crawl-space snakes, and i saw her several times each on 2 separate days.

Angie4.19.jpg

Angie on April 30, 2019.

Angie5.23.19.jpg

Angie 3 days ago. She has some red-brown color on part of her body.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
That looks seriously long. Do you know an approximate length of this one ? It almost looks like 2 different snakes.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Big Fred seems to have died, presumably of old age, a couple years ago. I sure miss him.
I saw Phil (i think) yesterday and on rare occasions before. I saw another black snake climbing in, new one i think, last year. Actually filmed that one on a trail cam i had set up for a while.
Angie once. Other than that, no.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's official. We're in love.
2 days later, he's baaack. I took a vid:

and then later came back out and he was sprawled lengthwise:
http://loohan.com/blacksnake5.20.16.jpg
I eyeball him to be 7' long.
Well... from growing up around black snakes I'd say he is a she. I actually once stepped on one when I was a child. I was gathering black berries. She just turned her head around and looked at me.She didn't get mad or bite.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... from growing up around black snakes I'd say he is a she. I actually once stepped on one when I was a child. I was gathering black berries. She just turned her head around and looked at me.She didn't get mad or bite.?
I think people just kill them because they can be such a big snake. But I've not seen a single one be aggressive towards people and I've had many encounters if we are talking about the same type. A large female is great to have around except maybe the snake will lay eggs and you'll have a bunch of little ones. I've seen that too. I like black snakes.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Yes they seem pretty docile.
I saw a big one a few weeks ago, climbing up a wild cherry tree by my buildings. I've seen a few real big ones around.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes they seem pretty docile.
I saw a big one a few weeks ago, climbing up a wild cherry tree by my buildings. I've seen a few real big ones around.
I'll have to Google to say which species we have but I'm pretty sure it's the same. They'll eat mice, rats and poisonous snakes but I've never seen them be aggressive towards me. Maybe they'll eat bird eggs but you can always give them a chicken egg now and then.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Around here they are also called chicken snakes. For a reason.
They are black rat snakes here in Ohio they can be 8'. But really it's weird because the pictures don't look like the ones I've seen in person. I guess it depends on the lighting. I didn't know they had white on them or grey. They always just looked black. I just think they're interesting because they are almost naturally tame. I'm not saying they won't bite, but if anyone should have been bitten by now, it would be me. They're a good snake to have around.