Cooking in her house

Cirby my 7 year old sulcata has always liked sitting in her house in 100-112degrees instead of hanging outside under shade when it's in the 90s outside. It worries me. What do you think?

This is the second week That she has had no energy, she has to be bribed with dandelions to eat and is not pooping. She finally popped out an impacted stool at the vet last week but not since. I have been soaking her daily for 30-40 minutes.

I'm so worried about her.
Any ideas?

She was put on antibiotic shots. I'm not convinced they are necessary.
Her lower shell got inflamed and broke down a little too. I think she's on them for that. I was given silva dine to put on the irritated areas. Not sure she needs the antibiotics so I'm going to talk to the vet on Tuesday.
I can't think of a poison issue except she munched down a cuddle bone fast 4 weeks ago and hadn't had one in months.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
She maybe impacted from the cuttlebone. Was the vet one who specialized in reptiles? And you're right, if there is no infection there's no true reason for antibiotics.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Where snouts are you located? At some point in the past, I posted a list of tortoise recommended vets. I don't by nature trust too many vets, so I'm providing the help for my vet to be on that list. She had only had dogs in the past. Now, because of me, she is owned by a Russian tortoise, a Sulcata tortoise, a corn snake and a bearded dragon. LOL

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
She may be dehydrated quickly also from being in the hot house. Maybe close it off and put her in the shade? But then stick around to make sure she stays in the shade.

I did exactly that today she ran around my big yard and she ate pretty good then back to her enclosure with door shut an she spent most of the day snug in her favorite pot under the veranda and stayed awake. now she's fighting her soak. I opened the door back up for the night. The hard part is I work full time so I can't watch her.

I went to a vet at a Vet ER last Sunday who has 220lb sulcatas her self so I felt good about her. She thought it could be eggs or impaction. She told me to see her reg vet who specializes in exotic animals and a few employees there have tortoises. Took her Monday, had x rays, pooped a big hard stool after 3 soaks,stayed the night there but nothing since?
She never had labs drawn. Do you think I should?

From the research i have done it seems like I'm doing things right.

I'm in Sacramento.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Does the house let her burrow down, or is the floor solid?
If the floor is solid you might want to consider renovating the house and allowing the tort to dig a bit of a burrow. There is an amazing difference in temperature when you go down about a foot into the soil.

I dug a hide for here in the yard so she can did. She went in for a minute or two moved the dirt around and left. It keeps moist because the sprinkles hit it. If I could figure out how to load photos I would show you her enclosure. I seam to have everything she needs. I met today with my contractor x and he is going to build her a bigger night box like Tom's. Still no poop and didn't eat the cacti that she loves either. I am so concerned. To the vet tomorrow. I am soaking her now and she is fighting like crazy to get out. Is there anything I can do to calm her down. The water is warm.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Why going to the vet? If you are suggesting she should have x-Rays taken of her hind end to help rule out if this is the problem I agree. Bummer about the cactus.

Yes I want x rays. She did one before she pooped out the first impaction but not after to rule out some other thing that could be causing the problem and now here we go again.
I feel that she should have labs drawn too.