Converting my porch to an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj1965

5 Year Member
IMG_20111218_153002.jpg I bought my russian tortoise yesterday and have been keeping him in a 50 gallon rubbermaid container. I want to make him something much bigger so I thought I would stack several layers of cinder blocks to block my "porch". See the picture attached. Also attached is my current set-up.IMG_20111218_143000.jpg

I would put tarp on the floor, then topsoil as a substrate and throw some grass seeds in. This time of year, the temperature ranges from low 50's to low 70's, but the record low was 23 degrees farenheit.

Would it work out to put out a 100 watt lamp assuming the tortoise would naturally gravitate toward it in the daytime as I read they need to be in 95-100 degree temperatures for several hours in the day, then switch the bulb to a 50 watt bulb at night to raise the temp to around 70 degrees?

Can anyone think of anything that I should consider, or any reason why I should avoid this altogether? I appreciate the good service everyone provides with all the good advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20111218_142934.jpg
    IMG_20111218_142934.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Keep in mind that Russian tortoises are quite the escape artists. They're quite the climbers. I'll link to some pics in a bit.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-amazing-adventures-of-Mork-from-Ork#axzz1gvEILWjj

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgi0IZROAlk[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dp2ajjMO1Q[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ54Zl5V3nA[/video]

They can climb anywhere they can gain a purchase. So any corner they can wedge themselves in or any fencing. I don't have Russians so I can't really address the temperature question.

rj1965

5 Year Member
I guess if I were to stacks three cinder blocks high on top of the brick floor, I would think that I would be okay? Do you see the temperature to be an issue?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that would ne awesome! You appear to only have the one open side of the porch...I would seriously consider simply installing a fence there to keep him in and predators out....however, if it were me I would monitor if the sun comes into that space now as well as during the summer.....this would be rather important to me.

I think you could come up with a great set up in that space....good luck :D

rj1965

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I think that would ne awesome! You appear to only have the one open side of the porch...I would seriously consider simply installing a fence there to keep him in and predators out....however, if it were me I would monitor if the sun comes into that space now as well as during the summer.....this would be rather important to me.

I think you could come up with a great set up in that space....good luck :D

Good idea about the fence. Maybe one layer of cinder blocks to keep the dirt in, then a chain link fence. Unfortunately, the sun does not shine in the porch area. That is why I was wondering if simply shining a light with uvb/uva and heat would do the trick...

Edit:Just watched the escape artists. Maybe I should stay away from the chain link fence. :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
you can use 1 layer of cinder block and 1 layer of ornamental stone to cap it off. Just make sure you have a 1" overhang to the inside. they can not transition an overhang.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Zamric said:
you can use 1 layer of cinder block and 1 layer of ornamental stone to cap it off. Just make sure you have a 1" overhang to the inside. they can not transition an overhang.

I would go more than 1", I could've swore I've seen pics on here (or somewhere) where a Russian somehow overcame an overhang like that.

rj1965

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Zamric said:

I would go more than 1", I could've swore I've seen pics on here (or somewhere) where a Russian somehow overcame an overhang like that.

It occurred to me that in order to keep out stray or wild animals, it would require a very high wall. Do cats, dogs, and racoons normally terrorize turtles?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Most of the times I've heard of dogs and cats injuring tortoises was from curiosity or 'playing' with them. I'd be the most concerned about racoons. And if they're a problem then you'll need to make the entire thing secure and not just a fence. To use the patio, you'd have to go all the way up to the roof to keep out racoons. They'll climb right over it.
It might be easier to just make something instead of making your patio secure. Something like this where you have fencing but with something solid on the bottom. Only I would cap the corners to prevent climbing even though there is a top.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Dale-s-new-outside-enclosure#axzz1gw2OUmTv

or if you went with something less secure, just make sure you put the tortoise away in a safe spot for the night, when raccoons are most active.

rj1965

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Most of the times I've heard of dogs and cats injuring tortoises was from curiosity or 'playing' with them. I'd be the most concerned about racoons. And if they're a problem then you'll need to make the entire thing secure and not just a fence. To use the patio, you'd have to go all the way up to the roof to keep out racoons. They'll climb right over it.
It might be easier to just make something instead of making your patio secure. Something like this where you have fencing but with something solid on the bottom. Only I would cap the corners to prevent climbing even though there is a top.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Dale-s-new-outside-enclosure#axzz1gw2OUmTv

or if you went with something less secure, just make sure you put the tortoise away in a safe spot for the night, when raccoons are most active.

I would love to have an enclosure like that but my home owner's association would not allow it. If I were to put my tortoise in my rubbermaid container every night, do you think the change in environment would totally stress him out? Thanks!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
jaizei said:
Zamric said:

...Then do a second layer of the ornamental stone. It has a preset overhang so these stones can build landscaping walls, you can go as high as you like and make a bigger overhang. The 1" overhang allows for a stable build.

I can tell you as a rock climber myself, multiple overhangs are a b!#@h to manuver around!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
just be careful with your association. If they walk the property or the fire dept does inspections they may make you take it down. Just a thought.
Other than that whatever you do, make it predator proof with locks. There are many options. You will have peace of mind and people do steal tortoises. It looks like your open to a green belt and I'm sure you have workers and landscapers around.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you are worried about what you can manage during the day that is secure, you can have a set up during the day and bring the tort in at night to a secure spot (Rubbermaid). As long as you get into a routine, the tort will do fine.

rj1965

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
If you are worried about what you can manage during the day that is secure, you can have a set up during the day and bring the tort in at night to a secure spot (Rubbermaid). As long as you get into a routine, the tort will do fine.

If the average temperatures are in the 70's here in FL and my porch does not get direct sunlight, instead of keeping him outdoors, should I just keep him inside in a bookcase? I could always place a light outside, but that would mean he would be limited to a few square feet of warmth, so I would think that would defeat the purpose of having a larger enclosure. Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.