conversation thread for Hermannichris's Breeding, Nesting & Hatching Video

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Trying to keep the sticky's clean. Comment on the video here.

Easton Roth

Fort Wayne Indiana
Hey I know that this thread was made awhile ago but I’m just wondering something, my two tortoise are eastern Hermann tortoises and my male is 6 inches and female 9. The first one I got was the male and had him for about two months before the female arrived and when I got the female they always would breed but now all of a sudden it has stopped and the male hasn’t had that same energy. What is going on with them?

classiccarman2

5 Year Member
We have an old Hermann's Tortoise that I have owned for 61 years which we always thought was male ( long tail and concave underneath) We bought a baby 1 year old Hermann's which the breeder said was female. She is 9 years old now and was caught humping the old one in the hot weather??. Have we got the sexes wrong or do Tortoises get confused? ?20210711_154627.jpg20210711_154652.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
We have an old Hermann's Tortoise that I have owned for 61 years which we always thought was male ( long tail and concave underneath) We bought a baby 1 year old Hermann's which the breeder said was female. She is 9 years old now and was caught humping the old one in the hot weather??. Have we got the sexes wrong or do Tortoises get confused? ?View attachment 328914View attachment 328915
You have quite the development on your hands & it may very well be that you can no longer keep the torts together if you have been. Regardless of what sex they are, I would say your older tort may no longer be welcome in the younger tort's "space."

I would post photos of your torts' plastrons & tails if you want confirmation of their sex. Except for breeding purposes, torts don't do well in pairs.

And if this is a bot, shame on you.