Conundrum

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Ok ya'll that was fun, except, I think only 1 person got what I meant. So I'll try again. Sulcata=destruction, given numerous bad Sulcata traits do you give the tortoise you have loved all these years to a human that you love, or do you will this tortoise that you have loved and he did go thru the sheetrock in the garage to an enemy?
I plan to outlive everyone currently on TFO. Well, with the exception of Yvonne. lol
OH MY GOSH!!! Being old sucks, why would you want to prolong it? You must be relatively young lol

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Ok ya'll that was fun, except, I think only 1 person got what I meant. So I'll try again. Sulcata=destruction, given numerous bad Sulcata traits do you give the tortoise you have loved all these years to a human that you love, or do you will this tortoise that you have loved and he did go thru the sheetrock in the garage to an enemy?

OH MY GOSH!!! Being old sucks, why would you want to prolong it? You must be relatively young lol
Guess I say a person I love my sulcatas bring me so much joy I would want that same joy for a loved one guess I just don’t see the negative haha maybe I’m a little crazy

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

I got what you were saying!?
Thank God all my family members are on my good side at the moment. Moment being the keyword!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OK...some very expert members responded with what will happen to Dozer. It humbles me that there actually such compassionate tortoise keepers on TFO
But this just shows what a bad person I have a tendency to be. I was thinking over my subject and I would take Mary Knobbins, who is hell on 4 legs, and will her to the person I want to get back at the most. Not thinking about the poor tort except that Mary has already proven to be a survivor. I figure I have between 5 and 10 years left and that would have her at a pretty good weight and I predict that she is more horrible with that weight on then now.
Guess I say a person I love my sulcatas bring me so much joy I would want that same joy for a loved one guess I just don’t see the negative haha maybe I’m a little crazy
Oh thank God! I thought I was the crazy person...lol

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Years ago my niece begged me to get 2 cute little RT's from the pet store on a whim. Thousands of dollars and many enclosures later guess who has no interest now that she's a teenager, lesson learned never trust an 8 year old no matter how cute and sincere they seem!

Two babies

5 Year Member
I worry about this subject all the time. I don't have any family or anyone I know to leave my sulcatas to. I am 67 years old and my torts are only 6 yrs old. I took them in as emergency rescues right after they hatched, both were near death. I have practiced organic gardening for 30 years around my home. so I had good food from day one one. They eat 95% out of my yard. Pellets and organic hay a couple days a week. I have added weeds/grasses that were recommended by the food list available on this site, seeds obtained from Arizona. I am retired, so they have hands on care daily and are too tame for their own good. I think they might be males but not sure yet. I have not separated them but know I will have to. They have a lot of space and free range most of the year. I built waterproof bunkers for them outside which stay 20 degrees cooler in our hot summers here in central California, and they have made lots of hides under bushes around the yard. I still bring them into their own bedroom in my house in the winter where they have large stock tanks with 6" organic soil, two CME heat sources, UVB, moisture, and ambient heat. They get fresh-picked food daily and warm soaks a couple times a week. I need to find someone or a facility to take them when I pass on or become unable. I want their care to remain what they are used to. I maintain a warm, clean environment at all times. Even their soak tubs are temperature controlled during their entire soak. They were raised with my dogs and may not know to be afraid of new dogs. They seek out my dogs and like to lay next to them in the sun. My dogs are highly trained performance dogs, yet I NEVER, EVER leave them alone with the tortoises. I have two securely fenced yards. They spend time together ONLY when I am right there. It is just not worth the risk. I have seen what a dog can do to a tortoise, and it is gruesome. Anyway, I had the virus last April and still have health issues associated with that so a future home for my babies is heavy on my mind. My dogs are set. If any well-known members have advice, I will appreciate it. Thanks, Laura

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I worry about this subject all the time. I don't have any family or anyone I know to leave my sulcatas to. I am 67 years old and my torts are only 6 yrs old. I took them in as emergency rescues right after they hatched, both were near death. I have practiced organic gardening for 30 years around my home. so I had good food from day one one. They eat 95% out of my yard. Pellets and organic hay a couple days a week. I have added weeds/grasses that were recommended by the food list available on this site, seeds obtained from Arizona. I am retired, so they have hands on care daily and are too tame for their own good. I think they might be males but not sure yet. I have not separated them but know I will have to. They have a lot of space and free range most of the year. I built waterproof bunkers for them outside which stay 20 degrees cooler in our hot summers here in central California, and they have made lots of hides under bushes around the yard. I still bring them into their own bedroom in my house in the winter where they have large stock tanks with 6" organic soil, two CME heat sources, UVB, moisture, and ambient heat. They get fresh-picked food daily and warm soaks a couple times a week. I need to find someone or a facility to take them when I pass on or become unable. I want their care to remain what they are used to. I maintain a warm, clean environment at all times. Even their soak tubs are temperature controlled during their entire soak. They were raised with my dogs and may not know to be afraid of new dogs. They seek out my dogs and like to lay next to them in the sun. My dogs are highly trained performance dogs, yet I NEVER, EVER leave them alone with the tortoises. I have two securely fenced yards. They spend time together ONLY when I am right there. It is just not worth the risk. I have seen what a dog can do to a tortoise, and it is gruesome. Anyway, I had the virus last April and still have health issues associated with that so a future home for my babies is heavy on my mind. My dogs are set. If any well-known members have advice, I will appreciate it. Thanks, Laura
Sounds like you have done a wonderful job with your sullies. Don't know if you own or rent your home. But maybe when you see the writing on the wall. You can get new occupants for your home with the understanding the sullies are included and must be taken care of.

Two babies

5 Year Member
Thank you for responding, and I appreciate your idea. I own my home, but I don't think I can trust someone buying my house to assume responsibility for these potentially large and destructive creatures. The things I have witnessed my neighbors do to their dogs, cats, rabbits, and other small pets would make you ill, and I live in what is considered the "good part of town". Not so anymore. The person who had the laying female had attempted to kill the clutch multiple times before and after hatching. He later admitted this (after we tracked him down). The two I ended up with escaped and were found, one in a horse pasture barely alive and a week later the other floating in a swimming pool at the same neighboring property.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
OK...some very expert members responded with what will happen to Dozer. It humbles me that there actually such compassionate tortoise keepers on TFO
But this just shows what a bad person I have a tendency to be. I was thinking over my subject and I would take Mary Knobbins, who is hell on 4 legs, and will her to the person I want to get back at the most. Not thinking about the poor tort except that Mary has already proven to be a survivor. I figure I have between 5 and 10 years left and that would have her at a pretty good weight and I predict that she is more horrible with that weight on then now.

Oh thank God! I thought I was the crazy person...lol

LISTEN!!!!!!!!......
I already got the “glitter” for Christmas..
Sssooooo..... I’m out! ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for responding, and I appreciate your idea. I own my home, but I don't think I can trust someone buying my house to assume responsibility for these potentially large and destructive creatures. The things I have witnessed my neighbors do to their dogs, cats, rabbits, and other small pets would make you ill, and I live in what is considered the "good part of town". Not so anymore. The person who had the laying female had attempted to kill the clutch multiple times before and after hatching. He later admitted this (after we tracked him down). The two I ended up with escaped and were found, one in a horse pasture barely alive and a week later the other floating in a swimming pool at the same neighboring property.
Wow they are lucky to have you. Have a great New Year!