Continuous Climbing & Sliding

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I know margies love to climb and mine is an especially avid climber and tiny destructive bulldozer, but some days he repeatedly climbs a small log and slides off the side then immediately turns around and slides down the other side. I’ve watched him repeat this at least 10+ times before intervening with food as a bribe to go somewhere else in his enclosure. Is this a normal behaviour? Is it harmful? Or does he just enjoy this

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Those log hides are the much loved climbing media of many a captive tortoise. They can be somewhat dangerous for their propensity to deposit said tortoise onto its back, and as you note the tort will do it over and over again. Its not a great hide anyway since it wont trap humidity, something with straight walls will prevent it happening.

p.s. Things are looking too dry for your tort, the substrate looks really dry. Also there is some slight pyramiddal growth happening.

If you havent seen already, this care sheet covers the issues.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Those log hides are the much loved climbing media of many a captive tortoise. They can be somewhat dangerous for their propensity to deposit said tortoise onto its back, and as you note the tort will do it over and over again. Its not a great hide anyway since it wont trap humidity, something with straight walls will prevent it happening.

p.s. Things are looking too dry for your tort, the substrate looks really dry. Also there is some slight pyramiddal growth happening.

If you havent seen already, this care sheet covers the issues.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

I spray the substrate down a few times a day, I actually noticed this after taking the photos and sprayed it immediately. The rest of his substrate is mixed and holds humidity much better.
He only uses this log as a hide during the day and “plays” on it. He has a larger humid hide he sleeps in at night.
I was just concerned this was abnormal behaviour as I’ve never seen him do it as often as today. Back & forth nonstop. Must be a good upper body workout I suppose

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I've seen my little Margie do the same thing! But maybe only 2 climb/slides at a time at this point.
I busted him trying to climb his half log one day. He just sat there and looked at me and I snapped this picture of him lol.
I might end up taking his half log out and giving him a better humid hide.20210227_111605.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
The behavior is normal. In the wild they'd walk a long ways each day. Your tortoise just has to do it back and forth in its small indoor enclosure. You need a MUCH large enclosure for this tortoise now. Minimum 4x8 feet, and larger than that would be better.

I just commissioned a 6x4 as thats all the space I have indoors right now, until we eventually move. Tortoise space is one of requirements when looking for a new home now. We have unlimited space outside and will be making a larger enclosure for the summer months