Continued nose bubbles

Fuugottie

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
So my baby leopard tortoise still has a bubbly nose! It’s not happening all the time maybe a few times a week usually in the mornings! Other then that his nose is dry almost all the time it doesn’t run or anything! He eats great! Is very active and poops normally! His temps are above 80 overall and basking is 100! I don’t know what to do anymore! Is it stress? Is it the substrate? Is my room to dusty or something? My breeder told me not to take him to the vet as it will stress him out and there likely to give him an injection which will most likely kill a baby tort as I’ve been told! Help plz

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So my baby leopard tortoise still has a bubbly nose! It’s not happening all the time maybe a few times a week usually in the mornings! Other then that his nose is dry almost all the time it doesn’t run or anything! He eats great! Is very active and poops normally! His temps are above 80 overall and basking is 100! I don’t know what to do anymore! Is it stress? Is it the substrate? Is my room to dusty or something? My breeder told me not to take him to the vet as it will stress him out and there likely to give him an injection which will most likely kill a baby tort as I’ve been told! Help plz
Hi. Welcome to the forum. It would help to have photos of your enclosure so we can see your setup, especially your lights. What substrate are you using? Are you soaking daily? How long has he had the bubbly nose? What are you feeding it? Let our experts respond on whether you need a vet.

Fuugottie

Ontario
Hi. Welcome to the forum. It would help to have photos of your enclosure so we can see your setup, especially your lights. What substrate are you using? Are you soaking daily? How long has he had the bubbly nose? What are you feeding it? Let our experts respond on whether you need a vet.
I’m using fir bark chips! I did have coco coir but switched cause I thought it maybe have been to dusty which could of caused the bubbles! I soak him twice a day once before and once after! I feed him 2 variety’s of kale different types of lettuce, clovers, grass and dandelions! I always give him a mix of stuff! The bubbly nose started a few weeks after I got him! He was shipped over night on a plane in a reptile box! I also have 3 lights one that is a basking light the other is a uvb uva and a night time heat emitter! I also have a laser heat gun that I check the temps with everyday to make sure nothing drops! I bring him outside almost every night after work for a few hours so he can graze and get some real sun light I only bring him out when it’s above 25C feel like 30C

Attachments

• 6C0373EF-C0FC-4A7D-AED9-E55AD9B95A41.jpeg
    6C0373EF-C0FC-4A7D-AED9-E55AD9B95A41.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • DE9021B2-F335-4D26-8814-885A9DB89C7A.jpeg
    DE9021B2-F335-4D26-8814-885A9DB89C7A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 1A47B14E-A896-4B5D-97DA-316A893AB25D.jpeg
    1A47B14E-A896-4B5D-97DA-316A893AB25D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 5748A33D-7D38-44B2-8554-5A9C96F634A5.jpeg
    5748A33D-7D38-44B2-8554-5A9C96F634A5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • A141ABCC-2E36-423C-AEFB-7A4795D8662A.jpeg
    A141ABCC-2E36-423C-AEFB-7A4795D8662A.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DDF8E9D2-F659-42E0-B127-959D8B933D80.jpeg
    DDF8E9D2-F659-42E0-B127-959D8B933D80.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 797FC743-228B-4784-A9D0-41ACD5A68918.jpeg
    797FC743-228B-4784-A9D0-41ACD5A68918.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 685EACA5-AA33-4CF8-9914-927FFB51D7DC.jpeg
    685EACA5-AA33-4CF8-9914-927FFB51D7DC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29

Fuugottie

Ontario
Here is a picture of him he’s 7 months old

Attachments

• 304A0050-275D-4509-B817-D055A1755312.jpeg
    304A0050-275D-4509-B817-D055A1755312.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 56A93C6A-A4F5-4AEB-AAA7-48769C077712.jpeg
    56A93C6A-A4F5-4AEB-AAA7-48769C077712.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Fuugottie

Ontario
Does he have the bubbles after or while he's eating?
90% of the times it’s usually first thing in the morning when I wake him up! He also scratches his face and pulls his head inside his shell followed by some yawning, after he’s awake he’s fine tho he stops doing that and his nose is dry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom i would really like your opinion
I see a few things:

1. The open top is letting all your heat and humidity out. Its much too dry.
2. Orchid bark is the ideal substrate, but you must keep it damp. Any substrate will be dusty when too dry.
3. Get rid of the moss. Its does nothing and its an impaction hazard. They always eat it.
4. Those clamps always fail. Hang the bulbs from over head so you can adjust their height.
5. You are using the type of UV bulb that we constantly tell everyone not to use. No cfl types. They can burn their eyes, and they are ineffective UV sources anyway. These can also cause the nose bubbles you are seeing. The bulbs can hurt their eyes and sometimes it causes some bubbles. You should stop using it ASAP. Get an HO tube if you need indoor UV.
6. If you have a tortoise bordering in getting sick, keep the overnight temp no lower than 85 (30C) anywhere in the enclosure. Day time ambient temp should climb to 32-34C. Basking temp should still be 36-37C. Keep these temps up for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
7. Kale is okay once a week or twice a month as part of a mix, but its not a good staple. Use endive or escarole for a staple. Mix in cilantro, dandelion greens, collards and much more for variety when you can't get weeds and leaves.

I think your issues is either night temps that are cooler than you think, dusty dry substrate, or the cfl UV bulb. All of these should be addressed and corrected in any case.

Fuugottie

Ontario
I see a few things:

2. Orchid bark is the ideal substrate, but you must keep it damp. Any substrate will be dusty when too dry.
3. Get rid of the moss. Its does nothing and its an impaction hazard. They always eat it.
4. Those clamps always fail. Hang the bulbs from over head so you can adjust their height.
5. You are using the type of UV bulb that we constantly tell everyone not to use. No cfl types. They can burn their eyes, and they are ineffective UV sources anyway. These can also cause the nose bubbles you are seeing. The bulbs can hurt their eyes and sometimes it causes some bubbles. You should stop using it ASAP. Get an HO tube if you need indoor UV.
6. If you have a tortoise bordering in getting sick, keep the overnight temp no lower than 85 (30C) anywhere in the enclosure. Day time ambient temp should climb to 32-34C. Basking temp should still be 36-37C. Keep these temps up for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
7. Kale is okay once a week or twice a month as part of a mix, but its not a good staple. Use endive or escarole for a staple. Mix in cilantro, dandelion greens, collards and much more for variety when you can't get weeds and leaves.

I think your issues is either night temps that are cooler than you think, dusty dry substrate, or the cfl UV bulb. All of these should be addressed and corrected in any case.
Thank you very much! How do I allow the heat to get in without an opening in the top?

Fuugottie

Ontario
I see a few things:

Do you have any guides or information I can see to build a proper tank?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Fuugottie

Ontario
Where did u get this from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did u get this from?
The name of the company is Animal Plastics. Excellent quality, excellent customer service, very reasonable pricing, but... there's always a but... 6-8 month wait times for larger enclosures.

Our own @Markw84 makes his own version. They are fantastic and I now have two of them myself. Word has gotten around and now there is a big demand for his enclosures too, but his wait time is still usually only a few weeks at most. Send him a forum message if you are interested.

Fuugottie

Ontario
The name of the company is Animal Plastics. Excellent quality, excellent customer service, very reasonable pricing, but... there's always a but... 6-8 month wait times for larger enclosures.

Our own @Markw84 makes his own version. They are fantastic and I now have two of them myself. Word has gotten around and now there is a big demand for his enclosures too, but his wait time is still usually only a few weeks at most. Send him a forum message if you are interested.
How do u get the lights inside of them? Would I need to purchase all new lighting systems?

Fuugottie

Ontario

Do u know if the company ships to Canada?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Do u know if the company ships to Canada?
We have several companies in Canada who make similar enclosures. With the exchange rate, duty and ultra high Canadian shipping charges, you’re better to buy in Canada. Here’s a few of the options.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do u get the lights inside of them? Would I need to purchase all new lighting systems?
Some types of fixtures can be screwed directly into the ceiling. Other types can be hung inside from little coffee cup hooks screwed into the ceiling.

Fuugottie

Ontario
I’ve made some changes to the enclosure! I got rid of the moss and covered the open top with tin foil and cut out holes for the lights to sit in! I also got the bar UV light u recommend and I ditched the half log and got a small dish bin and cut a hole in it for more humidity! I’m still in the process of cleaning and working out some stuff like temperature! Sheldon is outside rn! Lmk what u think @Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12