Containing the heat and humidity (UK)

Greenfingers

Location (City and/or State)
Halifax, West Yorkshire. UK.
For a while now I’ve been looking at ways to enclose my open top table, in order to maintain some humidity and night time heat. I use a CHE overnight as my lounge gets cold at night (less than 18deg) and I don’t want to have the central heating on 24/7. I damp down the substrate twice weekly. Today I’ve modified a tomato greenhouse to put us on whilst i look at a large grow tent to upgrade in a few months and I thought I’d share some photos this with the forum for feedback. Please be nice :)
I know it’s not best pleasing to the eye though fortunately it’s only the kids and my eyes that see it, though I’m sure it will keep the drafts out

274C23E3-1C0C-474C-94FF-88FB6A05C982.jpeg50999178-4404-4FCF-AE7E-0C91BF99C788.jpeg12874472-6167-4BFD-AF09-B9073EE9C355.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Looks great.

Take all the decor out, tip water in from a jug and mix it with your hands until all of it is damp (not wet) right to the bottom and into the corners. Now it’s covered, it should stay damp and raise humidity without drying out too quickly. You should only need to redo it every few weeks, possibly months :)

Melymann

Michigan
Looks great! I did the same thing and the humidity has been perfect. I’m jealous it’s dryer than dust in my house!

Greenfingers

Halifax, West Yorkshire. UK.
I can’t believe how much humidity is retained by this simple £15 fix, absolute bargain. Enclosed we’re at humidity of 63% (warm end), 78% (cooler end), 38% (under basking light), I’d just dampened the substrate prior to building the cover, when I open up the door, it plummets by almost 30% and no doubt would drop even lower given more time.
On checking the temps, I’ve found a problem. Temps range from 23 degC (coolest end) up to 34.4degC (warm area) but a ridiculous 43degC+ directly under basking light, no wonder she hasn’t been sat on her stone today ?, I was hoping for 36-37degC. I’ve raised the basking bulb today to reduce the temp directly underneath, I’ll look at reducing the wattage of the bulb tomorrow and check the temps/humidity again. I’m conscious that by raising the basking bulb, this may inadvertently raise the temps wider across the entire table and affect the humidity levels I had. I hadn’t wanted to increase the table size just yet.

On a positive note, I’m certain the CHE thermostat spent very little time on last night, complete contrast to usual open top, where it was on most of the time at night.