Constipation in star tortoise

Monica22

Location (City and/or State)
Noida
My star tortoise female is not pooping since ten days. I have done remedy like soaking lukewarm water. Please help

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can you suggest any laxative
Well, frankly, I could. BUT...you or I wouldn't know the dosage, and it 'could' harm your tortoise if a wrong dose. So we have suggested several alternatives. But I did neglect to tell you a mineral oil enema would grease up the cloaca and could get things moving again. Not in his mouth but, up his butt. How big is the tortoise? I used 2 mls for a 4 lb tort. If yours is a baby, no enema at all. Rub the cloaca with a greasy finger and sometimes you might stimulate the animal to poop. Could be pooping where you didn't see.

Monica22

Noida
Well, frankly, I could. BUT...you or I wouldn't know the dosage, and it 'could' harm your tortoise if a wrong dose. So we have suggested several alternatives. But I did neglect to tell you a mineral oil enema would grease up the cloaca and could get things moving again. Not in his mouth but, up his butt. How big is the tortoise? I used 2 mls for a 4 lb tort. If yours is a baby, no enema at all. Rub the cloaca with a greasy finger and sometimes you might stimulate the animal to poop. Could be pooping where you didn't see.
Thanks, I will try

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Try aloe and cucumber, 10 days is a long time to have not gone. Is it possible your tort is eating it while you are not around? Do not give your tort any over the counter laxatives. If this does not resolve itself in the next few days it would be a good idea to get a vet appointment to make sure there is no blockage.

California
Tortoises are known to eat their poop. The recommend foods are great natural laxatives (opuntia cactus and aloe) as well as high in water content. With these and soaking daily you should see some feces pass. If you don’t see any poop in a couple days I would highly recommend taking it to a vet for a quick radiograph to see what the GI tract looks like. How is your tortoises behavior and environmental temps?

Monica22

Noida
Try aloe and cucumber, 10 days is a long time to have not gone. Is it possible your tort is eating it while you are not around? Do not give your tort any over the counter laxatives. If this does not resolve itself in the next few days it would be a good idea to get a vet appointment to make sure there is no blockage.
Already consulted two vets, they just charged fees given injection and x-ray is also done, now the second vet said she is in hibernation. What a joke?

Monica22

Noida
Tortoises are known to eat their poop. The recommend foods are great natural laxatives (opuntia cactus and aloe) as well as high in water content. With these and soaking daily you should see some feces pass. If you don’t see any poop in a couple days I would highly recommend taking it to a vet for a quick radiograph to see what the GI tract looks like. How is your tortoises behavior and environmental temps?
natural environment is around 30 degree Celsius, less active and not eating normal diet. Already consulted two vets and X-ray is also done.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just recently (within 2 months) my 20 yr old tortoise was acting very sick, not eating and lethargic. I was sure he was going to die. I thought he had a bladder stone like my big Sulcata. So off to the Vet we went. $250. later, she tells me the xray showed that he was full of poop. So for several days I tried all the home rem