Constipated

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Squirt can’t squirt. He is constipated I believe from Rep- Cal. I was giving him a tiny bit sprinkled on his veggies. Usually he has huge nice poops. I noticed yesterday he had tw tiny ones and today nothing. I soak him daily for 30 minutes in warm filtered water. His tank (covered with foil to hold in heat and moisture)has a fogger that keeps the humidity between 75-85%
I had a Tortoise Block that got areas of black mold from the moisture in the tank. He never had any interest in it so I threw it out because it had black mold.
As of today I stopped giving him the rep cal and gave him cucumber,yellow squash,red pepper all mixed with lettuce. Hopefully this will loosen his bowels. How many times a week should he have rep cal? Instructions only give for adults he’s 2 months old. When I got him he weighed .65 now he is 1.10
The photo is his normal poop size before he became constipated

Attachments

• C1210F40-3235-4F7B-8191-4050883DB4D4.jpeg
    C1210F40-3235-4F7B-8191-4050883DB4D4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a good look at the cloaca. Sometimes babies get poop stuck on the cloaca and it hardens, making it difficult or impossible to poop.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
I soaked him again this afternoon and he made two small poops then one BIG ? YIPPEE!!!!!
I was so worried about an impaction

Attachments

• A4E92C89-0892-473D-B58F-6783B0AE11C2.jpeg
    A4E92C89-0892-473D-B58F-6783B0AE11C2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

zovick

10 Year Member!
Squirt can’t squirt. He is constipated I believe from Rep- Cal. I was giving him a tiny bit sprinkled on his veggies. Usually he has huge nice poops. I noticed yesterday he had tw tiny ones and today nothing. I soak him daily for 30 minutes in warm filtered water. His tank (covered with foil to hold in heat and moisture)has a fogger that keeps the humidity between 75-85%
I had a Tortoise Block that got areas of black mold from the moisture in the tank. He never had any interest in it so I threw it out because it had black mold.
As of today I stopped giving him the rep cal and gave him cucumber,yellow squash,red pepper all mixed with lettuce. Hopefully this will loosen his bowels. How many times a week should he have rep cal? Instructions only give for adults he’s 2 months old. When I got him he weighed .65 now he is 1.10
The photo is his normal poop size before he became constipated
Good that the tortoise was able to pass his fecal matter.

I would not blame the Rep-Cal for this episode if I were you. I personally have bred and raised numerous tortoises of many different species and ALWAYS fed them both Rep-Cal (with D3) and Herptivite on all their food DAILY. Never had any problems from doing so for at least 25 years.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
Good that the tortoise was able to pass his fecal matter.

I would not blame the Rep-Cal for this episode if I were you. I personally have bred and raised numerous tortoises of many different species and ALWAYS fed them both Rep-Cal (with D3) and Herptivite on all their food DAILY. Never had any problems from doing so for at least 25 years.
I just thought the calcium in rep cal might cause this

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just thought the calcium in rep cal might cause this
I doubt it would do so in an otherwise healthy tortoise. As I said, I fed all of my tortoises a hefty amount of calcium daily for 25 years or more and never had any constipation issues.