Consistently Cool Outdoor Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm currently just using a basking bulb in Al'tuin's terrarium, because I've been able to get her out in her garden box a few times a week.

The past week or so the temperatures have been only hitting the low 70's though, and the ground temps have only been like 75-76*F. I haven't put her out because of that.

It doesn't really look like it will be warming up for at least another week, so I was wondering if I should either;
A) Put her out for a few hours even though it's in the low seventies.
B) Put her MVB back in until things get warmer.

She is only 8 or 9 months old, and I just don't want to deprive her of UVB. Or am I being too nervous, and it's okay to go a week or longer without UVB?
Because I know her month age doesn't mean quite as much as her size, her SCL is just about 2.5" and she was 113.4 grams when I weighed her 3 weeks ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't do Greeks, but I think the information I'm about to share is pretty universal.

They can go several weeks with no UV and it won't hurt a thing as long as they are getting it most of the rest of the time.

If temps are in the 70s and its sunny, they can go outside with no problem. For a Mediterranean tortoise, I'd be comfortable with even low 60s as long as its not windy, cloudy or wet. The sun will keep them significantly warmer than their surroundings, and Mediterranean tortoises are hard wired to take advantage of this due to where they come from.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it were me....I would let her be out in the sun at those temps for 30 minutes to an hour...then bring her back in...while it is best to get them out in the sun everyday...if you are able to get her out at least once a week while the cooler weather is in play, that should be fine and then get her back out for longer periods of time when the weather warms back up....Also, I would do this if the sun is shining and not raining and consistently over cast...:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She is very small and will chill quickly. Putting her out warmed up and bringing her in when she's cooled down and decided to snooze won't do any harm. It may only be half an hour though.

If the sun is out, it is surprising how hot it can get in the direct light at ground level in a sheltered spot.

The other thing you could do is rig up an outdoor basing lamp in a dog kennel or similar so she can go and warm up.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys! I will do that, put her out for just an hour or so, and then bring her back in.
Even if she can go longer without UVB, or handle cooler temps...this is better for my peace of mind! :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Those temps are fine for a Greek, much more cold resistant than other species. With that being said I'd put a heat lamp out there to be safe just in case since she is still young.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
NudistApple said:
I'm currently just using a basking bulb in Al'tuin's terrarium, because I've been able to get her out in her garden box a few times a week.

The past week or so the temperatures have been only hitting the low 70's though, and the ground temps have only been like 75-76*F. I haven't put her out because of that.

It doesn't really look like it will be warming up for at least another week, so I was wondering if I should either;
A) Put her out for a few hours even though it's in the low seventies.
B) Put her MVB back in until things get warmer.

She is only 8 or 9 months old, and I just don't want to deprive her of UVB. Or am I being too nervous, and it's okay to go a week or longer without UVB?
Because I know her month age doesn't mean quite as much as her size, her SCL is just about 2.5" and she was 113.4 grams when I weighed her 3 weeks ago.

There is no reason whatsoever why your Greek tortoise can't be outdoors in your area 24/7 from May through September. Size of the tortoise has nothing to do with their ability to be outdoors.

Daytime temperatures in the mid 70's is a normal activity range for all species of Greeks, regardless of their natural location.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
I've know Greeks and she will be fine outside :) my 3 Greeks are out know, they've been out since April and they will be now till late September early October!! Granted, I live out in Cyprus lol and the temp doesn't drop below 22degrees at all, 70ish F for you but unless it drops below, 12degrees I'd say then shel be fine!! Make sure she has lots of places to hide and keep warm if need be thou :) Greeks are robust and, I'll say "designed" to survive if it suddenly drops in temp!! These guys are the marines of the tort world haha ;) their tough little guys :) anything you need to ask, just message me!! :)

yoda3106 said:
I've know Greeks and she will be fine outside :) my 3 Greeks are out know, they've been out since April and they will be now till late September early October!! Granted, I live out in Cyprus lol and the temp doesn't drop below 22degrees at all, 70ish F for you but unless it drops below, 12degrees I'd say then shel be fine!! Make sure she has lots of places to hide and keep warm if need be thou :) Greeks are robust and, I'll say "designed" to survive if it suddenly drops in temp!! These guys are the marines of the tort world haha ;) their tough little guys :) anything you need to ask, just message me!! :)

I've got to start battling against the heat now haha typical, always battle the weather me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.