Considering rehoming gigantic sulcata

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi there. My guy is 165lbs and very well socialized. He even comes running when you call his name. We have had some unfortunate circumstances and have to leave the home we are at. We have looked so far for 18 MONTHS for a new place that is sufficient for my big boy. But Los Angeles real estate is horrific and we also have some other parameters to meet so it has been tough. My guy has a big wooden house and heated walls. He is a big eater and so far at age 18 he is not aggressive towards us. But f you wear bright red shorts you better run as he thinks you are a giant melon.

Message me if you think you might want to take on a sherman tank for a pet. This is not something we are doing lightly and you will be quizzed on things like space, temperature, and overall knowledge. He has a pretty perfect shell, no pyramiding.

Thanks. KJ

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi there. My guy is 165lbs and very well socialized. He even comes running when you call his name. We have had some unfortunate circumstances and have to leave the home we are at. We have looked so far for 18 MONTHS for a new place that is sufficient for my big boy. But Los Angeles real estate is horrific and we also have some other parameters to meet so it has been tough. My guy has a big wooden house and heated walls. He is a big eater and so far at age 18 he is not aggressive towards us. But f you wear bright red shorts you better run as he thinks you are a giant melon.

Message me if you think you might want to take on a sherman tank for a pet. This is not something we are doing lightly and you will be quizzed on things like space, temperature, and overall knowledge. He has a pretty perfect shell, no pyramiding.

Thanks. KJ

Hello, I recognize Tyler from twitter :) I'm so sorry to hear you're having to consider this. I really hope you can find a way for him to stay with you.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Just be careful noone takes it and resells. There are plenty of long term members on here with land so hope you have success but very sad to have to say goodbye to Sherman. As mentioned please share pics and location.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hello, I recognize Tyler from twitter :) I'm so sorry to hear you're having to consider this. I really hope you can find a way for him to stay with you.
Hey Vlad!! I know. It is soul crushing. My son is severely autistic and my mom is elderly and I am caregiver for both so it limits what types of places we can live. I have Tyler in my WILL. We are still trying but maybe there will be an amazing place where he would even be happier- who knows!!!

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Just be careful noone takes it and resells. There are plenty of long term members on here with land so hope you have success but very sad to have to say goodbye to Sherman. As mentioned please share pics and location.
Thanks Sarah- located in Los Angeles. Im looking for one of the land owner type folks. I have a very large yard that has cement walls on all sides - so hoping to find similar so he can do his daily laps!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Sarah- located in Los Angeles. Im looking for one of the land owner type folks. I have a very large yard that has cement walls on all sides - so hoping to find similar so he can do his daily laps!
So very sorry. I'm sure it wasn't easy to have too consider this.
Be very careful of newbies only posting on free tortoise threads. They usually just want to sell them.
Good luck. I hope you either find a great new home or things change you can keep him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is that right? It's unfair to paint people in a negative light simply because they are new. How do you expect to grow the user base if newcomers are treated like suspects and bad actors from the start? A moderators job is to make sure the posts stay within the terms of service, not speculate on the intentions of members and poisoning peoples perception of newcomers. Doesn't make me feel very welcome at all.
I heard your kind of complaint before. I have been here way longer then you. Those that only want a free tortoise never posts again. Recognizing this, I will warn people and I will continue too!
If you are not that kind then we should be seeing a bunch of posts from in the future. If you are one of them, we don't care if you stay or not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
"I heard your kind of complaint before. I have been here way longer than you".

So people have mentioned how you judge unfairly and your response is "my account is older than yours"? Laughable.

I think that says it all. You haven't addressed any of my points and if I don't stick around, it's because, you have made me feel very unwelcome from the start. But hey man, dont let me put a damper on your little power trip. Obviously it's your world, I'm just passing through.
If you are not trying to scam someone for a free tortoise just to sell it then get over it!
99% of newbies that post on the free threads never post again.
Yes, been here much longer then you and seen it.
Now let it go already. You do you and I will continue to do me!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
"I heard your kind of complaint before. I have been here way longer than you".

So people have mentioned how you judge unfairly and your response is "my account is older than yours"? Laughable.

I think that says it all. You haven't addressed any of my points and if I don't stick around, it's because, you have made me feel very unwelcome from the start. But hey man, dont let me put a damper on your little power trip. Obviously it's your world, I'm just passing through.
Whaaaaaaa! An admonition to a too-trusting owner is just that--a heads-up to be more inquiring of buyers coming forward.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Who said the owner is too trusting? How do you know they arent already inquiring? This is exactly my problem. A lot of assumptions and absolutely no respect for fellow members. I guess we need to wait 10 years before any decency is given. How being a newbie can be treated as such a crime on a FORUM is beyond me.
Posting and asking questions is what we get from newbies. In fact the same questions is often asked, and even demanded to be answered on a daily basis- yet each are kindly answered by members with a wealth of knowledge that do not hesitate to share. The one glaring point is when someone says free and now everyone wants a "free tortoise". We are trying to curb flipping and impulse buys. Impulse have long term bad effects since owning a tort is very much like owning a boat-large initial investment, maintenance fees, cleaning, and shorts periods of use. :D

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Who said the owner is too trusting? How do you know they arent already inquiring? This is exactly my problem. A lot of assumptions and absolutely no respect for fellow members. I guess we need to wait 10 years before any decency is given. How being a newbie can be treated as such a crime on a FORUM is beyond me.
I'm a relative newbie. I've been admonished on the forum. I've never taken it personally. There are people I agree with & there are people I don't agree with. The real beauty of the forum is people with tort & turtle experience sharing it with others, the debates which are sometimes doozies, & comraderie which comes with getting to know one another or having interests in common.

It's been a real tough day & I've had enough.