Considering a Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
I'm considering getting a redfoot for my first tortoise. Why do you like them? What are their best qualities? I hear they are very good tortoises to keep. I welcome any comments on redfoots! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't keep Redfoots, but go to the Tortoise Forum home page, scroll down until you see 'Species Specific' and click on Redfoots and Yellowfoots.
You will see several good articles at the beginning about raising and keeping them, as far as humidity, lighting, etc.
We have several knowledgeable Redfoot owners on this forum with wonderful indoor and outdoor enclosures.
You already have Boxies, so sort of similar diet, etc.

mking

5 Year Member
Redfoots are friendly, hardy, and they look cool too. They need humidity but do fine without the UVB if provided with the right diet. They stay relatively small too.

Mary in Texas

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I love them. Tons of personality,not shy at all once they get used to you. Diet is easily met,as they can eat a huge variety of foods. They stay a managable size and are beautiful to boot!

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Love my Redfoots, they are sweet, mellow, and stay at a reasonable size. One thing to remember when making your decision, is that they cannot house outdoors in winter if your temps get real cold. So you will need to have room to set them up indoors for the cold months, even at adult size. Other than that they are awesome!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mking said:
Redfoots are friendly, hardy, and they look cool too. They need humidity but do fine without the UVB if provided with the right diet. They stay relatively small too.

Mary in Texas

Agreed with all the above, and all other statements. They're beautiful and interactive tortoises. Humidity demands are a bit high, so if you're in a dry climate, seal up your (indoor) enclosure. Outdoor enclosures are, by far, the best.

You'll find there is quite a debate concerning UVB and diet for D3 synthesis. It seems owners have obtained smooth growth with and without UVB exposure. I'm on the UVB exposure side...these animals are not nocturnal and the benefits of UVB aren't fully understood, but I'm sure they are happier and healthier with it. Tortoises likely see a greater amount of the light spectrum than we do, they certainly see it differently than us, and this wavelength is probably important for their psychological and physical well being. I would encourage everyone to expose their tortoises to UVB, but as I said previously, many don't and have healthy looking tortoises.

Good luck on your species decision, do as much research as you can before you buy anything![/i]

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
The only thing I would say is make sure you have a good humidity set up before you get your redfoot, i had a lot of trouble with humidity starting out. But other than that it was the best decision Ive ever made, wonderful personalities, beautiful, extremely friendly and curious :)

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Thank you all. I saw some Redfoots at Petco today and I felt sorry for them. They looked terrible. I would like to buy some nice colored ones from this site or from a reputable source. Please PM me with suggestions, if you have any. If this is against the rules, moderator please remove the post. But, thanks everyone for your comments. I'm ready to get some soon! :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
There are several members on this forum that breed and sells redfoots, like Jackrat that posted above. I would suggest purchasing one from one of the breeders on here that at petco. The breeders on here do a wonderful job raising there tortoises and you know you will get a fantastic tortoise with a great start in life and with petco its a dice roll if you will even get a healthy one... Good luck...

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Thanks. I will not purchase from Petco. Those poor tortoises though! I want to start with nice, healthy specimens. Thanks for the post!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Research, research!! I bought mine from Jackrat 1 week ago after learning so much about them for a few months! I guess your location can be a factor too. Humidity is the hardest part. Have your enclosure ready to go before your arrival! Good luck in finding the right RF for you!! There will always be plenty for sale so don't rush it!

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Momof4 said:
Research, research!! I bought mine from Jackrat 1 week ago after learning so much about them for a few months! I guess your location can be a factor too. Humidity is the hardest part. Have your enclosure ready to go before your arrival! Good luck in finding the right RF for you!! There will always be plenty for sale so don't rush it!

Good advice. I need to just slow down and keep doing research. I want to order "The Redfoot Manual" before I order too. I must have the indoor set up ready before buying one since they arrive the next day. :D

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Well, I'm joining the Redfoot club. I just ordered a Redfoot from The Turtle Source since they were on sale. I am going to get a few more later (in the spring) from Jackrat. I also have done my research and know their requirements. Wish me luck to prevent pyramiding! I'll do my best for sure.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How exciting!! I bought my Rio Grande from them 4yrs ago! He is doing great. I can't wait to see your pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.