CONFUSED??? WITH UV AND BASKING LIGHT PLACEMENT, HELP!!!!!!

Tort1419

Ok I'm really confused where to set up the uv lights in my Russian tortoise enclosure. I'm thinking of having two strip lights that give off uv. And one MVB that gives off uv and he can use for basking. Here is a picture of my enclosure and where I plan to conduct the placement. Is this over sufficient. I just want to make sure that my tortoise is getting all the uv that it can get???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 36

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Keep in mind that it's important to have an area so they can get away from the uv. I would couple the uvb with the heat/basking zone.

Tort1419

Ok so I'll get rid of the strip light on the right what exactly do you mean by coupling the uv in the basking heat area @jaizei

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
A mercury vapor bulb will provide heat and UVB. I think that's what he means by coupling the basking and UV. I think if I were you, in order to keep from wasting a lot of money, I would get one mercury vapor bulb and one strip light UV. Then after you have the enclosure all set up and do some measurements with a temperature gun to make sure you have a good temperature gradient. Then you can add regular lightbulbs for heat or light if needed. You don't need UVB over the entire enclosure. Keep receipts for everything you get in case you have to take something back.

Tort1419

Ok I think I know what I'm going to do now, thank you guys so much

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ok I think I know what I'm going to do now, thank you guys so much
Good. I know it can get so confusing. It took me a long time to get the lights the way I wanted. Now I'm updating the enclosure and going to change it again :) it takes a while to get it right. Just keep us updated on your progress.