Confused about size of vivarium

Epicjake15

Location (City and/or State)
England
I will be getting a Greek tortoise but at what age/size will I need to build him/she a 46by 24 by 24 (inches for all measurements)vivarium ( bye the time we get him/she it will be winter and I live in England so it would be too cold to keep it outside)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is hatchling size. Once it gets closer to adult size it will need a much bigger enclosure. At minimum a 4 foot x 8 foot.
Only two feet high sides is not really very tall. You have to leave room for substrate and for hanging lights/heat.
I don't know what age they get to a teen/adult size. A lot depends on care among other things, for how fast they will grow.
You will have likely around three years of age before the bigger size enclosure is needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's much cheaper to find a large plastic bin than a glass viv.

Epicjake15

England
That is hatchling size. Once it gets closer to adult size it will need a much bigger enclosure. At minimum a 4 foot x 8 foot.
Only two feet high sides is not really very tall. You have to leave room for substrate and for hanging lights/heat.
I don't know what age they get to a teen/adult size. A lot depends on care among other things, for how fast they will grow.
You will have likely around three years of age before the bigger size enclosure is needed.
Thankyou

Epicjake15

England
How tall do you recommend it being

this is for a indoor enclosure just so you know

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never mind. The 24 inches tall sides is fine. I for some reason had 12 inches in my head. Not sure how that happened. Lol