Confirm sex- help

rhachic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi, i've got a 8 year old Hermann tortoise that was recently sold to me as female. However, she's pretty aggressive for a female and is attacking and harassing my males (haven't seen mounting yet, just biting and chasing). She was owned by her previous owner for only one year and I was told has not been bred before. I've provided photos in hopes someone could tell me if they agree she's indeed a she and have any thoughts on the behavior.

Attachments

• Saffron belly.jpg
    Saffron belly.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 21
  • saffron side.jpg
    saffron side.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 20
  • saffron.jpg
    saffron.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 21

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
That is indeed a she. Females can also be aggressive, sometimes more so than males. Is it possible she has eggs? That increases aggression.

rhachic

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
She shouldn't have had time to mate and it's only been in the last month. The first time i put her in with each of 2 different males she did the same thing...went directly for them, chased them down, started biting their legs, and flipped them over. My males are a 20 year old and a 10 year old so both are adults though neither have been bred...but i am positive they are both male.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
She shouldn't have had time to mate and it's only been in the last month. The first time i put her in with each of 2 different males she did the same thing...went directly for them, chased them down, started biting their legs, and flipped them over. My males are a 20 year old and a 10 year old so both are adults though neither have been bred...but i am positive they are both male.
I guess you're female is just extra aggressive, one of my females would always bite the male.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Does she still breed or no? How do you handle that?
She doesn't let him breed, she always escapes into a burrow, runs away, or he gives up. It was either him trying to mate, or her getting aggressive with him. It's a shame because he has only tried to mate with her this year, not my other one who is bigger and probably more ready. But it only happened during the first few weeks of March, when they came out of brumation. Now they all get along fine. How big is your pen? I would add many sight barriers and separate hides and stuff so they don't always come into contact.

rhachic

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
She doesn't let him breed, she always escapes into a burrow, runs away, or he gives up. It was either him trying to mate, or her getting aggressive with him. It's a shame because he has only tried to mate with her this year, not my other one who is bigger and probably more ready. But it only happened during the first few weeks of March, when they came out of brumation. Now they all get along fine. How big is your pen? I would add many sight barriers and separate hides and stuff so they don't always come into contact.
Oh they are normally separate, i just tried putting them together as I was hoping to be able to breed her. I tried her with each of them...though I am wondering if putting the males into the enclosure she'd already been in for a month might have made her react more aggressively. I know Greek tortoise females can be aggressive with others until they establish their pecking order and i've needed to put females into male enclosures if they were large aggressive females to try and get them to not be so aggressive toward the male i was hoping to breed with.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Oh they are normally separate, i just tried putting them together as I was hoping to be able to breed her. I tried her with each of them...though I am wondering if putting the males into the enclosure she'd already been in for a month might have made her react more aggressively. I know Greek tortoise females can be aggressive with others until they establish their pecking order and i've needed to put females into male enclosures if they were large aggressive females to try and get them to not be so aggressive toward the male i was hoping to breed with.
Yeah I'd just keeping attempting by putting her into the males enclosure, that might make her less aggressive.