condensation issues with wood (treated)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I had a new enclosure built for my tortoise this summer. There were no condensation issues until recently, when the weather turned a bit colder and the heat lamps went on inside.

The issue is the top of the doors of the enclosure, the wooden frame specifically, is collecting condensation and are usually soaked in certain areas when I open them. I can see on one side that the green from the amount of copper in the treated wood seems to be sifting from the water contact, and was a bit worried of drips in the substrate.

Any ideas on how to reduce condensation on the doors? Should I dry them and put some sort of cover over the wood, like tape, to reduce immediate contact? The big issue with this enclosure is that the doors are way too big and I only have a small area to place the heat lamps/UV strip lights. I do realize if I put some sort of heat emitter near the doors my problem will be alleviated, however there is literally nowhere to put them.

Attachments

• 20201007_5.jpg
    20201007_5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20201007_4.jpg
    20201007_4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20201007_3.jpg
    20201007_3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20201007_2.jpg
    20201007_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20201007_1.jpg
    20201007_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and size tortoise is in there?

You could try to mount a computer fan in there to blow air at that area.

This is why I no longer use wood for indoor enclosures.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What species and size tortoise is in there?

You could try to mount a computer fan in there to blow air at that area.

This is why I no longer use wood for indoor enclosures.

She is about 11 x 7 inches, female redfoot. Both ends of the enclosure where there is condensation is 83 degrees while the middle (where all the lights are) are higher up to 87. humidity is about 80% throughout.

would you place the fans inside the enclosure or allow air from outside to get inside by cutting a hole in the side?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is about 11 x 7 inches, female redfoot. Both ends of the enclosure where there is condensation is 83 degrees while the middle (where all the lights are) are higher up to 87. humidity is about 80% throughout.

would you place the fans inside the enclosure or allow air from outside to get inside by cutting a hole in the side?
I would circulate the air inside. Blowing cold dry air in would defeat the purpose. Blow it from the heat lamp area toward the areas that are condensing the water.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would circulate the air inside. Blowing cold dry air in would defeat the purpose. Blow it from the heat lamp area toward the areas that are condensing the water.

I will try this, thank you!

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
You could seal the wood on the doors with flex seal. I love that stuff, you paint it onto a surface and it dries into a rubbery water resistant coating. I sealed the bottom of my enclosure where water accumulates with flex seal to stop the wood from absorbing water and rotting. Just my 2-cents!
E3F2D2AF-F08E-4E34-A4A3-45F2773E4AD8.jpeg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You could seal the wood on the doors with flex seal. I love that stuff, you paint it onto a surface and it dries into a rubbery water resistant coating. I sealed the bottom of my enclosure where water accumulates with flex seal to stop the wood from absorbing water and rotting. Just my 2-cents!
View attachment 308413
hmm I will need to look into this as well, Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
So I had a new enclosure built for my tortoise this summer. There were no condensation issues until recently, when the weather turned a bit colder and the heat lamps went on inside.

The issue is the top of the doors of the enclosure, the wooden frame specifically, is collecting condensation and are usually soaked in certain areas when I open them. I can see on one side that the green from the amount of copper in the treated wood seems to be sifting from the water contact, and was a bit worried of drips in the substrate.

Any ideas on how to reduce condensation on the doors? Should I dry them and put some sort of cover over the wood, like tape, to reduce immediate contact? The big issue with this enclosure is that the doors are way too big and I only have a small area to place the heat lamps/UV strip lights. I do realize if I put some sort of heat emitter near the doors my problem will be alleviated, however there is literally nowhere to put them.
How did you build your enclosure?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How did you build your enclosure?
I actually had it commissioned from a local woodworking business. They used treated wood and its broken up into four pieces for easy disassembly if needed. Attaching pictures. Lined the inside with pond liner.

If the doors were smaller and I had room to fit heat lamps in that space, I don't think I would have this issue. For now, I had to take out the ramp part of the enclosure, which would be where the lights are now, to ensure her lighting was set up for proper heating.
enclosure w top.jpgenclosure 2.jpg