Concerned about possible shell rot on new red foot

Father Zimbabwe

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Hi, about a month ago I got a young cherryhead red foot tortoise from tortoise town after they said they'd send it for 3 weeks. Poor guy was incredibly dehydrated when he came in and did nothing but hide and drink for the first week and a half. It wasn't until a few days ago that he started consistently eating, but he only wants to eat a little fruit and Mazuri now. :rolleyes:
Anyways, after a soak I was looking at its belly and I saw little white patches and almost chips in his shell near his butt. I remember his belly looking weird when i got him, but this is the first time i had really inspected it. It what honestly quite alarming, especially since I thought it was on the up and up.
What do you think, folks? Does it look like he has shell rot? Also, does he look like a cherryhead to you? I've read that tortoise town sometimes sends out normal red foots on accident.

P.S. If a red foot ate essentially nothing but Mazuri, is it normal for its poop to look like Mazuri? Thanks!

IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5510.JPG tort red.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, if you look closely, it's all over the plastron. Keep him on fairly dry substrate while you're treating it. You can buy cheap anti fungal cream at the dollar store, or at any pharmacy. The cheap stuff has the same ingredients as the pharmacy stuff. Then after it's all gone, change out your substrate to something that will stay fairly dry on top. I like fir bark for this because you can pour water down in a corner and it wets the underneath bark while the top layer stays fairly dry.

I'm not a RF person, but it looks like a cherry head to me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't believe it is a true Cherryhead.
But its beautifully colored at any rate.
I agree about using the anti fungal/ athletes foot cream.
You have the beginnings of shell fungus. Shell rot is a much more severe and serious condition. This should be easy to cure.
Welcome to the forum.
And Happy Birthday