Concerned about our baby Sulcata

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
we got our baby Nov 22 2017 and he hasn't been the biggest ball of energy sleeps a lot? Emailed the breeder and mentioned it here on the forum and chalked it up to just being a baby. The last couple of days he hasn't eaten much other than a bite or two at a feeding and keeps eyes closed or sleeping unless being soaked. During that time he is lively and walking around and will take a bite or two. Feeding spring mix, spinach, kale, clover, dandelion greens grass and mazuri. Have been doing the baby food soaks. He weights 1.8oz since last week hasn't lost any weight. The temps are 90-100 on the warm side and 80 on the cool side the humidity is 70-80 substrate is organic potting soil and cypress mulch we have a makeshift cover and will work on making a better one heat is with Che one on each end he has a humid hide but doesn't go in it. If I put him in it he will stay we do have a gun to shoot the temps and a didgital thermometer on the warm side. Any help would be appreciated. I also found out he wasn't kept in a humid envirioment or closed habitat before we got him, also he is still pooping and passing Urine image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi there!
To help pinpoint any possible issues, it's time for everyone to ask a ton of questions.
What kinds of lights are you using? Do any of them look swirly or curly? Are they on a timer system? What are you using for basking?
What is the dimensions of the enclosure?
What methods are you using to cover your enclosure?
I would change the substrate- even though it is labeled as "organic" there is no telling what is in the potting soil, unless you composted it yourself. There could be cedar, pine, or other toxic matter in it that can be harmful.
Coco coir is what I use, though it can be messy. A fine grade orchid bark is probably the highest recommended substrate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would triple check the temps. Slow, sluggish tort seems to indicate not warm enough. I don't think you have it fully covered, and your temp gauges could be way off. Since he's active during (warm) soaks, i think warmer overall ambient temps might be the issue? Is your CHE on a thermostat? Lighting? @Tom ... Temps? Lighting? Substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your temps are warm enough, your environment is reasonably humid, you are doing daily soaks, your lighting is all good, then its time to question what was done with the baby before you got it.

Give this sad thread a read through and see if it sounds familiar:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Hi there!
To help pinpoint any possible issues, it's time for everyone to ask a ton of questions.
What kinds of lights are you using? Do any of them look swirly or curly? Are they on a timer system? What are you using for basking?
I would change the substrate- even though it is labeled as "organic" there is no telling what is in the potting soil, unless you composted it yourself. There could be cedar, pine, or other toxic matter in it that can be harmful.
Coco coir is what I use, though it can be messy. A fine grade orchid bark is probably the highest recommended substrate.
Hi there!
The light is slimline 50 uvb t8 bulb, thanks to this forum we got rid of the brand new coil bulb without ever putting it in
I turn the light on at 5:50 am and off at 5:50 pm for 12 hrs of uvb. We do not have a thermostat for the Che
It is a 55 gallon tote with modification pvc pipe was added to hang the lights so the are straight down and not on clamps
It is covered with 2 large beach towels that actually do a good job of holding the heat in we found that we need to have an opening or it gets to hot

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Sadly, our little Kevin died shortly after my last post Pretty sure he just failed to thrive. We ended up getting another Baby Sulcata from a different source and the difference is amazing Sheldon from the get go is is active, eats and constantly patrols his house. I want to thank everyone for their advice and articles it has made it easier to learn everything it take to care for these amazing wonderful creatures ❤️

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Sadly, our little Kevin died shortly after my last post Pretty sure he just failed to thrive. We ended up getting another Baby Sulcata from a different source and the difference is amazing Sheldon from the get go is is active, eats and constantly patrols his house. I want to thank everyone for their advice and articles it has made it easier to learn everything it take to care for these amazing wonderful creatures [emoji173]️
Very sorry to hear Kevin has passed, sounds like you did everything that you could do, and the breeder set you up for heartache. That's great you got a new one, and that's awesome he's doing good. Good luck to you guys and Sheldon.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Very sorry to hear Kevin has passed, sounds like you did everything that you could do, and the breeder set you up for heartache. That's great you got a new one, and that's awesome he's doing good. Good luck to you guys and Sheldon.
Thank you for your kind words, it was such a sad time, but Sheldon is such a delight and we enjoy his antics and mannerism on a daily basis

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sadly, our little Kevin died shortly after my last post Pretty sure he just failed to thrive. We ended up getting another Baby Sulcata from a different source and the difference is amazing Sheldon from the get go is is active, eats and constantly patrols his house. I want to thank everyone for their advice and articles it has made it easier to learn everything it take to care for these amazing wonderful creatures ❤️

So sorry to hear about losing the little one. I hope Sheldon is healthy and happy and brings you many years of fun :)

N

no one

I am so sorry. I lost my Indian Star due to this. And now have a Elongata. Best wishes with Sheldon!!