Concerned about my new Russian tortoise

Pixieandb

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi, I got my first tortoise a few days ago. I’m new to this and I’m concerned for him so I’m looking for any help. Is his shell unhealthy? Also he is missing two nails on one of his front legs. But one of the places it is missing has grown scales over it so I don’t think it will grow back 78EB4C47-98F3-4782-9F71-F260063EEBE3.jpeg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi, I got my first tortoise a few days ago. I’m new to this and I’m concerned for him so I’m looking for any help. Is his shell unhealthy? Also he is missing two nails on one of his front legs. But one of the places it is missing has grown scales over it so I don’t think it will grow back View attachment 326344
Welcome to the forum & congrats on your tort. Where did you get your tort? Did you get any advice from his former owner? Is he limping on the leg missing claws? He looks dry. A good soak would be good for him (in warm water just up to where the bottom shell meets the top shell for 20-30 minutes). What are you feeding him? If you post photos of his enclosure, our members can advise about any concerns. Any additional info you can provide will help the experts help you.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hey! Congrats on the new tortoise. His shell is great, he just needs a soak. He is wild caught, so he probably lost his claws sometime in the wild. I took care of a wild caught russian once that was missing a claw and it still was completely healthy.

Las Vegas, NV
Tom's Russian tortoise care sheet
Tom's Temperate species tortoise care sheet
These care sheets are very lengthy and full of good information from Tom!

Generally if you have any specific concerns (such as the nails) it's super helpful if you're able to upload clear photos of exactly what you're talking about so experienced tortoise owners are able to better assist you. You can upload multiple photos per forum post, and can upload photos to comments as well.

Just to expand on other comments, make sure the water you're soaking in isn't particularly warm to you as it may be too hot. I have read many times that 85-95 F is a good temperature, but as their preferred basking temperature is 90-100 F, I have also been told those are good soaking temperatures as well. I usually try to keep soaking water for my Russian at 95 F the whole time, it's been helping a ton to let him soak under the basking light so the water doesn't cool off so fast.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome I suggest a few soaks and you can get a small tooth brush to gently remove any debris. Soaking will help excreat, hydrate and clean them so really good to do. Check out the care sheet and review enclosure, heat, light , diet and substrate all very important for health and shell growth. Cakcium is important for strong shell so add a light dusting to food snd add a cuttefish into the enclosure. Enjoy your new tortoise.