Concern over change in poop

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all,

It's our favorite subject! I have 2 adult Russians (male and female not kept together!) both are kept in large open tort tables, indoors, and under the same exact conditions. They eat the same meals, soak the same amount of times, under the same temps, etc. This has been their life for the last 3 years, they have grown tremendously and if I had to guess they are 10-15 years old. (impulse pet store purchase, wild caught, initially both had heavy worm loads which prohibited their growth) Since I have had them they have nearly doubled in size and weight. My female is about 900 grams and just hit another growth spurt. My male is actually a bit larger and just came off of a growth spurt this past winter, at that time he was 1020 grams. I slowed down with my weight monitoring as they seem to be thriving and after about a month I felt like my male felt a little lighter, I weighed him and in a month he went from 1020 grams to 812 grams. I started weighing regularly again and he is slowly creeping back up within 2 weeks he has gained 76 grams. I chalked it up to perhaps the change in season, they are back to getting some outside time and I have noticed his appetite has increased and he is drinking daily if not every other day which is new for him. His pee is clear and the urates are the right consistency. My concern is the size of his poop is really small now and is dark brown and mushy. It use to be large and very well formed, like it would amaze me something so large could come out of him. About 3 months ago started feeding them on pieces of slate to help with filing down their beaks and I am concerned that maybe he ate some of his substrate and is suffering from a partial blockage or something. (cypress mulch) I use to feed on paper plates because it was easiest to clean up, now with the change to the slate they tend to drag pieces of substrate into their food. I feed both of them a mix of spring mix, dandelion greens and flowers, safe weeds from the yard, Zoo Med pellets daily. I occasionally mix in cucumber, rose petals and hosta flowers depending on the season. They also get Miner All 2-3 times a week and have access to cuttlebones all the time. My female is still pooping the same which makes me think its not worms or a dietary issue. He is passing small amounts of poop daily and I gave him some aloe this morning in hopes he leaves me a big surprise today.

I am a compulsive worrier, is there anything else I can do to maybe give his system a "cleanse", I'd feel better if he just gave me one big turd. ( when else would some ever say this?! )

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy post just wanted to spew out all the details as fast as I could.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So they basically have the same everything food, light, enclosure etc. So no diet changes?
Do they go outside? A blockage is possible but not likely. I hate to say it he could just be pooping less right now.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I may of misinterpreted it wrong but that is a lot of weight to lose.
200 grams? I.am bad with weights but the weight is going back up

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
So they basically have the same everything food, light, enclosure etc. So no diet changes?
Do they go outside? A blockage is possible but not likely. I hate to say it he could just be pooping less right now.

Correct, exact same everything. I would be less concerned if my female was pooping the same at least then I could chalk it up to a dietary thing. They are getting more weeds now that it's spring and they are plentiful. Oh and I forgot to mention I am not too keen on my current vet for them and the best option for my area is the University of Penn which is a big money kind of place. In an emergency situation I'd have no problem going there but I don't want to walk in to say "his poop looks weird". I am sure they'd rake me over the coals on that bill simply because I'd sound like an idiot. haha

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
200 grams? I.am bad with weights but the weight is going back up
Yeah I suppose I should do some research on what they should weight at this age. I've been a little lax with that as they both have gone through some substantial growth spurts and visually are larger now.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Have you posted pictures of your torts? 1000 grams seems a lot for a male. If not, we need to see there tails to tell is they are male or female. My males only weigh 500 to 600 grams. Now my females can weigh a lot more.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Have you posted pictures of your torts? 1000 grams seems a lot for a male. If not, we need to see there tails to tell is they are male or female. My males only weigh 500 to 600 grams. Now my females can weigh a lot more.
I'll see if I can get some pics tonight. That would be something if my male turns out to be a female!

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I couldn't wait and had my husband send pics.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Considering their "under carriages" look exactly the same I am assuming they are both female, I really feel like an idiot not getting this squared away years ago. If someone could confirm it would be greatly appreciated.

Funny thing is their current vet agreed with my sexing assumption too, just goes to show I need to find a new one. When I originally got them I thought they were both females and named them Tina and Myrtle. At this time too I was housing them together (before knowing any better) and Myrtle (now Ike) mounted Tina so I assumed he was male and renamed him Ike.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Those tails do look female to me. ( females mount)a little thick and long but female. How big are they(inches)?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Looks like they are both female. Males will have a really long tale and curl it to the side. I think you need a different vet. Goes to show how much some vets know about tortoises.

Marina_deebs

Kentucky
I just got a baby Hermanns 2 weeks ago. He was doing great at the beginning, but this week he as started burrowing during the day under his basking area. He eats fine and I feed him dandelion leaves, turnip greens and collard greens. I’ve tried feeding grasses and the Mazuri mix but he won’t touch them. He gets 45 min outside everyday, calcium 3 times a week and multivitamin 2 times a week. His enclosure is the zoo med tortoise table. I use a 160 mercury vapor bulb with basking temps of 90-94 degrees for 12 hours a day. I soak him in the morning for 15-30min everyday. His substrate is a mixture of organic top soil and coco coir. What am I doing wrong?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I just got a baby Hermanns 2 weeks ago. He was doing great at the beginning, but this week he as started burrowing during the day under his basking area. He eats fine and I feed him dandelion leaves, turnip greens and collard greens. I’ve tried feeding grasses and the Mazuri mix but he won’t touch them. He gets 45 min outside everyday, calcium 3 times a week and multivitamin 2 times a week. His enclosure is the zoo med tortoise table. I use a 160 mercury vapor bulb with basking temps of 90-94 degrees for 12 hours a day. I soak him in the morning for 15-30min everyday. His substrate is a mixture of organic top soil and coco coir. What am I doing wrong?

I would start a new post to get more eyes on this, I’m still very much a newbie but there are many knowledgeable folks that can help!

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I think I have my answer, this morning I caught her digging a nest with her back legs. She did this for 2 mins then went over to eat her breakfast. I read that before laying they typically don’t eat she’s had her appetite the entire time. Hoping she’s not gravid with infertile eggs, would this explain the weight loss and skimpy poops? Any advice or direction would be appreciated