Concern about Irwin -

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Irwin can't digest his food unless he can get heated up to around 80 degrees, which is why he wasn't eating. During the winter, Charlie will eat when it is cold because he can come back to his heated house and warm up enough to digest.

Since I gave him a warm soak and put the CHE in his outdoor digs - he's been out and about the yard - happily munching in his food garden and weeds in my lawn! I should be able to take the CHE out in the next few weeks as it will start to get warmer during the nights where he won't need extra heat!

TSchadel

Kansas
Hello, we all could not get onto the website and the forum, so -no problem.
Your update on Irwin sounds good. The next days you should watch him closely if he stays healty.
With the night heat he will feel much more comfortable in his barn.

Yes - you were correct - he needed to be heated up! THANK YOU THANK YOU! My big Irwin is now roaming his domain - eating in his food garden and sunning himself in his rocks. His "barn" is literally a dog house - that I cut the opening bigger for him. I did tarp it on the inside and put dirt in there for him. The CHE is approximately 13" above him so I don't think I have to worry about hurting his shell. I did put a thermometer in there and when I went and checked on him at like 2:30am (yes - I'm a little CRAZY like that) it was 87 degrees!

TSchadel

Kansas
Irwin can't digest his food unless he can get heated up to around 80 degrees, which is why he wasn't eating. During the winter, Charlie will eat when it is cold because he can come back to his heated house and warm up enough to digest.
I did not know this - but it certainly make sense now..... once he got warm enough - he was STARVING!!!

Bee62

Germany
Happy End !:D Irwin is eating and roaming around. :tort:
I love threads with a happy end for the tortoise and the owner.;):)