Computer People: Malware

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Alright so somehow some way I ended up with what appears to be a pretty annoying and common piece of malware/unwanted extension. Its called CoupExtension and all my googloe searches failed to help me since it says remove the extension from my browser and uninstall suspicious program from my computer... well it shows up in neither but all the annoying ads and hyperlinks "brought to you by coupextension" are popping up and I know I don't want this on my laptop!

My windows Security essentials anti-virus scanned up nothing, which doesn't surprise me since its not technically a virus, but my spybot also picked up nothing. Google told me to use Spyhunter, great the scan showed it and told me I could remove it... if I got the paid version... ummm no!
So do any of you know good malware scan/removal programs that are free?
If not I plan to do a factory reset and say goodbye to it since I keep most things on a 3 tb external or on the cloud anyways, I was just wondering if there were any last ditch things I could try before the last last ditch.

thanks!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Have you tried spybot search and destroy? Or go into programs and uninstall all the spyware crap that auto downloaded. My bf is the techie so I leave most of it up to him!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would start by disabling all extension and see if that stops it. If it does, re-enable them one at a time to find out which one is causing it. If it's a separate program, use your Task Manager to see which processes are running. Google them if the names isn't obvious.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Have you tried spybot search and destroy? Or go into programs and uninstall all the spyware crap that auto downloaded. My bf is the techie so I leave most of it up to him!
My first instinct was spybot since I already had it on my system when I got paranoid over nothing. Unfortunately it came up with nothing, but I know there is and I know what, it's just hiding pretty darn well!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I would start by disabling all extension and see if that stops it. If it does, re-enable them one at a time to find out which one is causing it. If it's a separate program, use your Task Manager to see which processes are running. Google them if the names isn't obvious.
Problem is it doesn't show as an extension, that was where I first looked when stupid stuff started popping up, nothing was there, and it is not in programs and features, didn't think to check task manager though, I'll get back to you on those results.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
my bf is a IT manger very smart with computers, he says to use hitmanpro. it is a one time free use and will solve your problem. hope this helps

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
my bf is a IT manger very smart with computers, he says to use hitmanpro. it is a one time free use and will solve your problem. hope this helps
Well I give credit since it did pull 5 bad things off the computer and I was all excited... until it restarted I opened my browser to check and stinking things still there! It doesn't show its an extension on any of the 3 browsers and its not on my programs so I'm at a loss to where it is! Ill probably be backing up my music and shows not already backed up and wiping it to factory again since this one's puzzling me! Tell your bf thanks for the program pulling out stuff I didn't even know was there :) ... I really think this infection is a screwy thing since its not like other people's experiences with it I've read on Google since they seemed to just remove an extension and program and tada, yet mine has neither apperently... poopy computer bugs! >:/