Come Over to My Side

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
So about three weeks ago, I went and bought a bearded dragon for my niece. I got it off of Facebook. I had alerted my sister to the “for sale ad” but she communicated with the seller. It was a very interesting purchase with horrible smells, no trespassing signs, toilets in the yard, and a dog bit me, but I survived and had a lizard in hand. I treated him for retained shedding bobos, an infection on his foot, and parasites. My vet thanked us for “rescuing” him. My sister was freaking out the whole time. We live five hours away so I was the one trying to help Tabasco. He went to our reptile vet. My sister was upset because he was way bigger than she expected. She was worried they made a mistake. She blamed me. Totally not my fault. I just picked him up. Tabasco did great for us. We got him the correct UVB light. Provided a 65watt flood bulb and 100 watt CHE (he had no heat bulbs when he was with previous owner). He did great. We soaked him everyday. Brought him outside each day. He even ate some grass. It finally came time for my niece to come get him. We said goodbye and I crossed my fingers. He’s doing fine but gave them a SUPER black beard during his bath. I told her he may be stressed from yet another change in a short period of time and to give him a few days to adjust. I asked how much my niece was handling him and said it might be too often. She said, “It might be my fault. I got him out of his cage last night after bedtime because I wanted to watch a movie with him. He fell asleep on me. Emersyn said I shouldn’t take him out because it was time for him to sleep but I wanted to hold him. I really like him.”

I am soooo excited. I finally have a family member that gets it. She told her friend today that he is the family pet and she loves him just like you would love a dog.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So about three weeks ago, I went and bought a bearded dragon for my niece. I got it off of Facebook. I had alerted my sister to the “for sale ad” but she communicated with the seller. It was a very interesting purchase with horrible smells, no trespassing signs, toilets in the yard, and a dog bit me, but I survived and had a lizard in hand. I treated him for retained shedding bobos, an infection on his foot, and parasites. My vet thanked us for “rescuing” him. My sister was freaking out the whole time. We live five hours away so I was the one trying to help Tabasco. He went to our reptile vet. My sister was upset because he was way bigger than she expected. She was worried they made a mistake. She blamed me. Totally not my fault. I just picked him up. Tabasco did great for us. We got him the correct UVB light. Provided a 65watt flood bulb and 100 watt CHE (he had no heat bulbs when he was with previous owner). He did great. We soaked him everyday. Brought him outside each day. He even ate some grass. It finally came time for my niece to come get him. We said goodbye and I crossed my fingers. He’s doing fine but gave them a SUPER black beard during his bath. I told her he may be stressed from yet another change in a short period of time and to give him a few days to adjust. I asked how much my niece was handling him and said it might be too often. She said, “It might be my fault. I got him out of his cage last night after bedtime because I wanted to watch a movie with him. He fell asleep on me. Emersyn said I shouldn’t take him out because it was time for him to sleep but I wanted to hold him. I really like him.”

I am soooo excited. I finally have a family member that gets it. She told her friend today that he is the family pet and she loves him just like you would love a dog.

Good job, and just because I am weird like this...I have to ask, where did the no good dog bite you and what kind of dog....oh, may we see a pic of your Black Beard :) I am partial to that specific lizard...

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Good job, and just because I am weird like this...I have to ask, where did the no good dog bite you and what kind of dog....oh, may we see a pic of your Black Beard :) I am partial to that specific lizard...
Oh, it’s a bearded dragon. The dog was a very elderly goldenvretriever. Thankfully it didn’t break the skin. He bit my ankle as I was walking backwards helping carry the tank.
Here is Tabasco.

Attachments

• 86ADA639-E380-47E1-A840-035D2E1DAD53.png
    86ADA639-E380-47E1-A840-035D2E1DAD53.png
    2 MB · Views: 33

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I like his coloring. Pretty lizard.

Golden retrievers are not always the loving family dogs people think they are. Some of my worst aggression cases have been Goldens.
Funny story about golden retrievers. My sister had a lab and golden mix. Her home alarm was tripped and the company contacted my dad. He went to her house and waited for thirty minutes for the police to arrive. Finally he left and stopped at the police station to let them know that everything looked fine. They said, “Oh we stopped by before you arrived. After the reaction her dog gave us just by looking through the door, we decided if she had an intruder, they were now dead inside and we didn’t want the same fate so we left. He was very ferocious.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh, it’s a bearded dragon. The dog was a very elderly goldenvretriever. Thankfully it didn’t break the skin. He bit my ankle as I was walking backwards helping carry the tank.
Here is Tabasco.

Oh, if I were ever going to have to choose what species of canine to bite me, yes, a retriever would be it.... :) and what a good looking lizard...nice.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
So about three weeks ago, I went and bought a bearded dragon for my niece.

That is so GREAT to hear ! They are and should be treated like any other pet . My guy's love the attention !

Runt 24.jpg

oo2 adjust.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I like his coloring. Pretty lizard.

Golden retrievers are not always the loving family dogs people think they are. Some of my worst aggression cases have been Goldens.
I'm surprised. We had a golden lab mix who was the gentlest, sweetest dog. The only way he would hurt an intruder would be by jumping up on them and licking them to death.