Combining Rubbermaid containers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortimus

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I have a 6 month old Russian tort, and he has been living in a 40 gallon aquarium thus far. But I know glass isn't good for them, and I can see him getting all stressed out by the glass and whatnot.

So I got two large rubbermaids, and cut the sides out, as I have seen many people do this. My concern is that I do not know what exactly I can be holding them together with. I don't want any kind of adhesive exposed to him to have a little chew on, so is there any preferable adhesive or sealing substance that will work?

Thanks for any advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many has used tape. I made a tunnel out of a plastic cup. Not sure if silicone will work or not.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Glue of your choice to hold them together then use silicone to cover the edge.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
If u use any sort of adhesive, make sure he can't get to any of it to eat on. Use in on the outside so u can make sure he can't eat it.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Stars said:
Use stainless steel nuts & bolts. ;)

Wow that's an intense enclosure! Is that a 2-story enclosure? You must have humidity-loving torts!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great job.
You don't want to glue them together. I will make it too hard to clean it out periodically, and dissemble when you move your tort somewhere else like outside in the summer.
just use mini 'C' clamps on each corner and midway on the long side, about #6 total.
Secure, but then you can remove them when you need to.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Thanks,
it is bolted together with stainless steel bolts and nuts. It is not 2 separate levels but one open area for air movement and so that the lights can be safe distances. Here is a better pic.
1 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.