comatose behavior in new Russian Tortoise

Nedy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, KS
I bought an adult male Russian tortoise yesterday from a reliable pet shop that specializes in reptiles. The tortoise had just come in from one of the shop's customers that had it for two years in an indoor enclosure. I placed it in a 10'x10' outdoor enclosure with sunken water dish, dandelion weeds, plantain and grasses, two hides and adequate shade as well as sun. He did not eat any grasses yesterday. Briefly "worked" the parameter of the enclosure then went into one of the hides where he remained until I moved him into a sleeping box. I livc in south-central Kansas and the temps yesterday were 91 degrees with night time at 67 (but he was moved into a sleeping box in the garage at night - so probably in the 70's). This morning I brought him out to his enclosure and placed him into the hide he had used the previous day - because it was quite early and temps were only in the mid-70's. He was lethargic, but I expected that due to the temps. I was pleased that by the time the temps got into the 80's, he came out and ate a mixed green salad with shredded carrots. On his first day too!! I was prepared for him to 'work' the parameters of the enclosure for the first week and maybe not eat at all. He seemed quite content though (or maybe he wasn't really feeling well and I misread it as "contented".) But he probably wouldn't have eaten if he wasn't feeling well...right??
Two hours later when I checked on him he was behind a shrub in the shade. I picked him up -- and his head and limbs just dangled limply as though he was dead!! He wasn't hot; his shell felt cool; so he wasn't over-heated. However, I couldn't get him to respond at all! When I tipped him one way, his limbs and head would loll that way limply; so I started pumping his front legs in and out like artificial respiration. (I didn't notice breathing motions around the neck - but I'm not sure how often they take breathes) After about a minute I noticed a tiny resistance in one hind leg when I pushed it in and out. In another minute he barely lifted his head up and opened his mouth just a little. Then he opened his eyes -- so I put him back in the hide. At that point the temps were about 88 degree - humidity was relatively high (around 67).
What is going on? Do Russians do this??? Was he in a very deep sleep or what???!!! He seemed fine the rest of the day. It started raining later this afternoon so I put him back in his sleeping box. I have box turtles and I've never experienced anything like that with them -- even when they are preparing for hibernation, they will respond when disturbed or moved. I had a SA Redfoot years ago and he would get lethargic when he was too cool, but he always responded to touch.
I got a Russian because Russians are commonly kept outdoors here all year round and even hibernate outdoors (although this one supposedly came from 2 years of what I assume was a controlled indoor habitat).
I don't want to take him back to the pet shop and sound like an idiot if this is just typical lethargic behavior. He looks perfectly healthy -- no discharges, ok weight.
Any thoughts???
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you as much info as possible.
Please let me know if this is normal behavior or if I need to do something differently.
Thanks so much

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is not normal, that's for sure. As of now I suspect he could have gotten a hold of something bad/Poisonous to him. How is he doing now? Still lethargic? or is he back to normal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would offer a few days of long warm water soaks to begin with....do you have any weird poisonous critters in your area? (spiders, snakes and such that are poisonous?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except for no foaming at the mouth, it sounds like poisoning to me too.

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
Thank you so much everyone for responding. I've been worried sick about this guy. It's not yet 80 degrees here right now so he's lethargic as expected but basking in the sun. No foaming at the mouth ever- and yes we do probably have poisonous spiders -- no poisonous snakes within the city limits (I've been told). Thought you guys would get a kick out of that ... I mean really??? Is there a sign or something out there -- about ankle high that warns any poisonous snakes they aren't allowed to enter town?? grin ;-)
I brought him out of his dog crate and put him in his enclosure in the sun this morning and he basked for so long, I got worried about that too -- wondering if he was too weak to move into the shade under his own steam. But he has now done so and is in his "hide" looking out at the fresh plate of greens I prepared him. After that incident yesterday, I admit I'm paranoid.
My red foot was seriously "bullet proof". This was back in the 1960's when they were imported and sold wholesale for like a dollar an inch -- so I got a big one. Didn't know any better back then or think twice about the whole "wild caught" issues and what it would do to the wild population. Other than that long term relationship (he ended up at Brookfield zoo in Chicago after 15 years) I've only had box turtles. So just barely "dipping my toe" into the water again.
I've done a lot of research here on the forum (love the wealth of info available) and felt the "greeks" or a russian would be a good "first tortoise" for all practical purposes. So when this little guy became available, I bit the hook. I do think he's probably healthy -- I just need to trust that he is perfectly experienced regarding his temperature regulation. It's going to get mighty hot (and at times humid) here within the next few days -- we just had a torrential rain yesterday. I'm assuming short periods of high humidity will be fine???
He has a wonderful enclosure with both lawn and broadleaf weeds I've prepared all spring. No pesticides or fertilizers. We are blessed with sandy loam soil and more or less woodland environment -- so plenty of shade and nice patches of sunlight.

Again, thanks so very, very much for your comments. I'd love to hear the extreme parameters other Russians routinely encounter -- mine won't be left out in the elements -- but it would give me more confidence if I knew how hardy they are.
My apologies again for the rambling post. Look forward to readying your posts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't recently de-worm him, did you? Ivermectin is fatal to tortoises.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With the temperature in the high 80's I would think your Russian would dig down to reach a cooler ground temperature. Is the ground there too compacted to allow easy digging?

I would make sure that his hide has a reflective top to reduce heating and has loose soil inside that he can did into and partially bury himself to maintain a cooler temperature. A shallow water dish will also allow your tortoise to cool off as water will take away heat much faster than air.

If the temperatures get above 95 degrees I bring my Russians indoors; I just don't want to take the chance of over heating.

Can you check the ground temperature using a temperature gun?