Colombian yellow red foot tortoise

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I am really tempted to answer this,but I can't help at all.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
A large number of red-footed tortoises that were imported from Colombia in the 60s and 70s had nothing but yellow coloration on their heads and legs.
More recently 'farmed' tortoises from western Colombia (I think-- but I may be wrong) have been imported and most of these animals have beautiful yellow and, or, pumpkin orange colors.
A key feature is a yellow or pale orange nose...
This is a neonate hatched by Ted Tuchak from his Colombian pair that he obtained in 1969. It is typical of the neonates he and I produced in the late 70s to mid 80s.
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

Colombianhatchlingplastron.jpg

Some recent imports from Colombia have the nice yellow faces but then very pretty orangish legs. This one belongs to forum member Allegra.
DSC03938.jpg

I'm pretty sure that if you check the various reptile classified ads that you'll find some available.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a male with a really yellow head, but he has pretty orange legs.

I also have one female who has almost no color.
1485623922536.jpg1485624044278.jpg

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
A large number of red-footed tortoises that were imported from Colombia in the 60s and 70s had nothing but yellow coloration on their heads and legs.
More recently 'farmed' tortoises from western Colombia (I think-- but I may be wrong) have been imported and most of these animals have beautiful yellow and, or, pumpkin orange colors.
A key feature is a yellow or pale orange nose...
This is a neonate hatched by Ted Tuchak from his Colombian pair that he obtained in 1969. It is typical of the neonates he and I produced in the late 70s to mid 80s.
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

Colombianhatchlingplastron.jpg

Some recent imports from Colombia have the nice yellow faces but then very pretty orangish legs. This one belongs to forum member Allegra.
DSC03938.jpg

I'm pretty sure that if you check the various reptile classified ads that you'll find some available.

Just so I'm not confused these are still red foots Chelonoidis carbonaria? Not yellow foots Chelonoidis denticulata?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
I have been searching for years for two females to my very old yellow Redfoot without any luck so far...

This one is native to the fothills of the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta in Colombia.

Seems like mission impossible ?

I live in Sweden by the way

/MikeYellow_Redfoot.JPG Yellow_Redfoot_2.JPG Yellow_Redfoot_3.JPG

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks! All this yellow footed red foot talk is confusing lol might as well just say Colombian reds tho I'm kinda suprised these haven't gotten they're own name like a cherry head

For a while (thankfully!) dealers were calling the imported Colombians with orange and yellow mixed colors 'clown' red-foots. But fortunately it didn't stick.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
For a while (thankfully!) dealers were calling the imported Colombians with orange and yellow mixed colors 'clown' red-foots. But fortunately it didn't stick.

I still see some redfoots being labeled as "clown face or clown mask" red foots but it's generally from people trying to make a quick buck

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've always thought the "clown face" label sounded dumb and outdated when I hear it