Colloidal Silver For URI?

PrincessPeach9697

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello! I have owned tortoises for years now and have a Sulcata with the beginning of a URI. My vet can’t get me in for almost another week as I asked for him to prescribe him Ceftazadime injections like I would normally for a tortoise with a URI. I have read some stuff on Colloidal silver on their food tho and was wondering if anyone had any luck with this? Or even putting it in their water as he’s become picky with eating since yesterday when his symptoms started.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
From my personal experiences with colloidal silver, you should save your energy and your money. Warm up the tortoise to 90 degrees in the daytime and about 75 at night, soak it in lukewarm water daily for 20 minutes, and wait for your vet to prescribe the Ceftazidime for the tortoise. Is there any chance he/she will give you the drug without making you bring in the tortoise first?

PrincessPeach9697

Pennsylvania
Yeah im
From my personal experiences with colloidal silver, you should save your energy and your money. Warm up the tortoise to 90 degrees in the daytime and about 75 at night, soak it in lukewarm water daily for 20 minutes, and wait for your vet to prescribe the Ceftazidime for the tortoise. Is there any chance he/she will give you the drug without making you bring in the tortoise first?

He isn’t able to do it without seeing him first but he is trying to do the exam over the phone with all the info to help me before Monday so fingers crossed

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yeah im

He isn’t able to do it without seeing him first but he is trying to do the exam over the phone with all the info to help me before Monday so fingers crossed
How big is your sulcata? Hopefully all will be fine till Monday if it is necessary to wait that long. They are pretty tough customers.

Good luck with everything!

PrincessPeach9697

Pennsylvania
That is a really small size for the age of the tortoise. Have you any pix of it to post to show how it looks?
He was a rescue I’ve only had him since December. He never had any heat or uvb. But I also have another Sulcata is 7-8 and I’ve watched him grow up and he’s even smaller. He was taken care of absolutely perfectly.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
He was a rescue I’ve only had him since December. He never had any heat or uvb. But I also have another Sulcata is 7-8 and I’ve watched him grow up and he’s even smaller. He was taken care of absolutely perfectly.
Just for a little reference for you... That is a really small sulcata for 5 years old. I just read that so I went outside and took this picture of one of my 5 year old sulcatas... 64 lbs! That's more normal for a 5 year old "taken care of properly."

IMG_0436.jpg

PrincessPeach9697

Pennsylvania
Just for a little reference for you... That is a really small sulcata for 5 years old. I just read that so I went outside and took this picture of one of my 5 year old sulcatas... 64 lbs! That's more normal for a 5 year old "taken care of properly."

View attachment 297683
I understand that most are larger. Again.. my 5 year old was a rescue but my 8 year old is smaller and was taken care or perfectly. They can’t be outside year round as we get snow. I could list my entire husbandry but I’m not going to do that because I’m not here to argue or get defensive. Some grow at different speeds and hit their growth spirts at different times