COLD TRAVEL-WILL IT WORK???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am thinking about getting a heating pad with a car adapter for my Leopards travels. I live in Chicago:D, travel a lot to Northern Michigan:( Do you think a heating pad with a blanket over it in a plastic travel box with a lid and a hide house with some substrate would be a suitable way to keep him warm. He is small yet only 8-9 months. This idea is only for the car ride. I will have a small yet complete set up for when we arrive at our destination. I know they are a little expensive, but if it will work, i don't care about the price. Plus the one I found is on sale for $49.99 from $70.+.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It sounds like it would work. I would still keep a supply of hand warmers just incase the car or pad broke down. Plus spare blankets or something small to sneak him inside buildings in, also. ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use a small styrofoam cooler and a couple of hand warmers wrapped in towels when I have to move my tortoises in the winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought about the hand warmers or the rice bags you heat in a microwave, but for a four to four and a half hour ride, even with the heat from the car heater, I thought he would still get to cold.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The hand warmers stay warm up to 10 hours. When I picked up my Russians the other day, they were in the car for longer than 4 hours, and they stayed perfectly toasty. Using something like a cooler that is insulated it key.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kristina said:
The hand warmers stay warm up to 10 hours. When I picked up my Russians the other day, they were in the car for longer than 4 hours, and they stayed perfectly toasty. Using something like a cooler that is insulated it key.

WOW! I didn't know they lasted that long. Maybe I will try those instead, much cheaper:D.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes ma'am ;) I get them at the dollar store, 2 for a buck. I keep some on hand in case of power outages.

I also use regular 60 hour heat packs sometimes, but those are more expensive so I save them for when I know I need longer term heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kristina said:
Yes ma'am ;) I get them at the dollar store, 2 for a buck. I keep some on hand in case of power outages.

I also use regular 60 hour heat packs sometimes, but those are more expensive so I save them for when I know I need longer term heat.

What are the regular 60 hour heat packs?

M

Maggie Cummings

I have used the 12 hour hand warmers for trips to Calif and even after 12 hrs my tortoises were still very warm...

Status
Not open for further replies.