cold hearted.. Confused??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hey all. I want to start by apologizing up front. I'm pretty good about posting a story or poem or something kind of "fun" to read. Tonight (it's 6:07PM upon writing this for me) is different though. It is a personal situation, and I do not expect anyone to chime in, or give advice. I am not looking for attention I am just looking to get my story and voice out there to where it will be heard, and I hopefully will not be judged. Here it goes.

So. I am 23 years old (young?). When I was around 7, my parents had a divorce. There was a deal worked out so that I would be able to see my dad every other weekend or so. Now, back in the day, he was kind of a dead beat, to say the least. Half of the time during visits, I would be left with other family members, to be babysat so he could go out, and do whatever it was he did. It finally turned out so he stopped picking me up during his visit time. Now, every couple of years or so, he would just come swooping in to my life, and my sisters. It was fine by me, I always did enjoy seeing him, when he was "able" to. My sister, on the other hand, has really no clue to who he is, being she was very young during the split. Anyway, this happened for YEARS off and on, and I haven't heard from him in a long time, about 4 years. My sister has recently turned age enough where she is starting to explore her freedom, and has gotten tangled up in our "birth" family. Little side note: my mom met a guy some time after the split with my birth dad, and he became my "step" dad, who raised us and loved us as his own. I respect him a lot, and know he would take a bullet for either one of us. Anyway, back to the story. My sister tells me just this past weekend that my birth dad is dying. He is failing more and more each day. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (probably due to drinking in excess) and it has spread, along with tumors, wracking his entire body. She is kind of using the ailment to her advantage and gobbling up a ton of negative attention for it, and in the meantime harassing me to go and see him. Mind you, he is a good three hour drive away. Which doesn't matter in the least, and it is a horrible selfish thing to say. But that brings me to the bad part. Or so I think. I don't really FEEL anything. I don't FEEL sad, or lost, or hopeless. I don't feel like I have lost anything. I am so confused. Am I going to hell? Should I feel like my world is tearing apart because the man who made me and ran away is now dying? The entire "birth" family is breathing down my neck telling me he doesn't have much time left, and he is just hanging on to see me, and my idiot sister is on that wagon. Again, another selfish thing: I have SO much going on in my life right now. My wife and I have a baby of our own due this December, so we are getting prepped for that, we bought a house just this year,and are trying to complete as many renovations we can before the baby comes. I work 11-13 hour days, so not a lot can be accomplished during the week. And he is like 3 HOURS away!! I know I know, I am going to hell for saying that. But it's true. The only thing I FEEL is confused. I can't shake it/ I can write until my fingers bleed, but I can't get it out of my head. I DONT want to get tangled in that butthole family, they are horrible people. I just don't know.
Thanks for listening. Or reading. Whatever, lol. Everyone here is so awesome. PLEASE don't feel obligated to comment. It is a very awkward soap opera thing to have to read (if you read it all), and I didn't expect anything but to just write and be heard.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Your prime responsibility is to your baby and your wife. Anything that takes away from your primary family, Your wife and unborn baby, is not worth your time.

You feel guilty because you are a good person, those who try to make you feel guilty are actually being selfish.

Take care of your wife and yourself and raise your child. Try to forget the selfish people.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
He made his choice and now he has to live (or die) with the consequences, so I completely agree with the way you feel. But once he's gone, you won't get a second chance. Be the better man. Be there for him even though he wasn't for you.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, you are NOT cold hearted. I Took care of my neice when no one ELSE would. Her parents still put her thru the ringer and she is almost 30. DO WHAT YOU FEEL! WHATS BEST FOR YOU. good luck, lindy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its really hard to have actual forgiveness in your heart, but if you're Christian, that's what you should do. Don't hold grudges...forgive. If there's any way you can see yourself clear to make one last visit to let him know you are not harboring any grudge, you will feel better for it and it will ease his mind too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know much about the after life and what happens when we die (warning personal opinion coming through) But on someone's death bed it can't hurt to be magnanimous and offer them a little comfort in their final days. On a personal note, I hate my brother through and through but to maintain family harmony I pretend to be nice to him and when my mom passes on (no worries not any time soon) will pretend to be nice to him not to cause her any discomfort in her final hours. I can't say what you should or should not do, but if it was me I would offer the dying man some comfort in his final days, the sad part is in the future you may regret not doing so and then not have the option to do it when he passes on.
Just my 2 cents

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I think it would be normal the feel nothing right now. That's numbness, and for so many reasons. I say go visit him once. In the future you will feel something, maybe loss or maybe relief, but you will feel something. It will help in the future to know that you visited him. We do not stand alone in this world, and sometimes you have to do things that don't seem necessary or advantageous or pleasant or even reasonable at the time just because you're a piece of a larger family.

Now when/if my disappeared dad turns up again after 30 years, you can give me the same talk:)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I have been through a similar situation;
It would be a 3 hour one way trip. He has a pregnant wife, a house to prepare for a baby and he works his butt off at his job.

I fear that even if he makes a day to visit this horrible individual, it will not be enough and they will want more.

I go back to my original advice, take care of your wife and child.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well I also think they will want more, but I think for his sake he should give the one visit and then his conscience can be clear, no matter how much the other family members try and guilt him. Sorry blafirivart not trying to influence you one way or the other.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I agree that your current family is your priority but if my opinion matters I say you should at least make the one visit. It doesnt make you a bad person for having all those feelings (or not having any feelings) because he is the one that took you through the ringer all those years, but as said above - if you go once you can at least be the bigger person and show that you are the better man that never left.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
No worries at all, Captain. Thanks for the kind words everyone else too. Do not feel like there is any influence, I hear you all, definitively. FBsmith, you hit it right on the head. The family as a whole are all very deadbeat. They are the type of people that will strip you of your soul if you are not careful. It is insanely selfish to feel the way I do, I know. And there is NO excuse to evade a visit with a person dying that is or once close to you. Yvonne, I do agree with you as well. I am Christian (as of this summer, actually), and I feel it is the right thing to do (forgive). I HAVE forgiven though. They all know that. I put love before hate, even if it destroys me. I always have. And Captain, I agree with you too. I believe that seeing him is the right thing to do. BUT the disgusting thing is that that family is just using this sickness as a trap to lure my sister and I back in to feed off of us like they have before. Very twisted people, lol. I'm just scared I guess. I want to see him. There is absolutely no way to see just him though. They would all be in on it, no matter what. I love my wife, and even the baby hasn't been born yet, she is my world. Im just so caught up in everything lately. Ugh, there it goes, selfish. I dunno. It wouldn't KILL me to see him. So much time taken up

SulcataSquirt said:
I agree that your current family is your priority but if my opinion matters I say you should at least make the one visit. It doesnt make you a bad person for having all those feelings (or not having any feelings) because he is the one that took you through the ringer all those years, but as said above - if you go once you can at least be the bigger person and show that you are the better man that never left.

Understood. I think that you folks have made me realize what I need to do, and helped me see why. I will try to make a visit this coming weekend and see how things go.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
With the 3 hour trip at least you have a buffer zone. Doing the right thing is great, you are a good person and with a god heart.

Please, never let it impact your pregnant wife.

Like I said I have been through a similar situation, when my wife was pregnant with my son.

Good luck and God Bless.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
fbsmith3 said:
With the 3 hour trip at least you have a buffer zone. Doing the right thing is great, but never let it impact your pregnant wife.
Like I said I have been through a similar situation, when my wife was pregnant with my son.

Good luck and God Bless.

Nothing will ever touch her or the baby in a negative manner, I'll take that to my grave. She agrees with some of the folks that posted on here, in that I should do at least one visit. Thanks for relating and helping to steer the right way. I really appreciate the time you took out of your lives for me tonight. It means a lot, and it will not go unforgotten. I feel a little better about the situation. And I thank you all so so much.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
i found it but im going to tell you again, you are not going to Hell for not seeing your dad and the only way you go is rejecting Christ as your savior and if you are a Christian forgive and go on you know and see him if you want or call him. But ill be praying for you and pray to man the LORD will help :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tough decision. Love and loyalty are earned not owed because of a bloodline. Best of luck.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Turtle Guru said:
i found it but im going to tell you again, you are not going to Hell for not seeing your dad and the only way you go is rejecting Christ as your savior and if you are a Christian forgive and go on you know and see him if you want or call him. But ill be praying for you and pray to man the LORD will help :D

Thanks a lot man, means a ton to me!

Thank you as well, Erin. I have felt the same way. What a stupid dookie obstacle. :/

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
no problem and LORD's Willing everything will be fine :D

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
The question I have is: If you feel this guilty about the thoughts/feelings you are having now, how will you feel after he dies if you choose to not go see him? Obviously neither him or the rest of his family DESERVES to have you come. I think that doing something for someone who doesn't deserve it is one of the hardest things to do. It is also a way to show both them and yourself that you are not the same as them.

What's the worst thing that could happen if you go? They can act like jerks, and you end up thinking they are deadbeats? You already know that. If you don't go, it is possible that you will carry guilt for that decision for the rest of your life. You would not have a reason to feel guilty, but I wouldn't take that chance. This is a decision that you only have the chance to make once. Before you decide to not go, be sure that you will be able to live with the decision for the rest of your life.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
I think that the one visit is beneficial for you and your dad both, if only to assuage any possible guilt you would later feel in life for not making that final visit.
Your feelings are no where near selfish! You are NOT a bad person for feeling the way you do, and if there is a Hell, you certainly will NOT end up there!
Your family, unfortunately, sounds very similar to a portion of my family. I won't get into that, but I will say to not let them guilt you into further visits. I am sure even one visit would be enough for your dad- he must know how much he hurt you growing up. One visit, especially since the distance is so great and you do have a family to think of, is more than enough.

Not trying to sway you either way, though it seems you and your wife have already come to same conclusion. :p
Good luck, Brandon. Best wishes your way! And to your lovely wife, unborn child, and Ava, too! :D

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I think it'd be very nice to make time to give your birth dad a visit. Maybe things will end up for the better. Of course, your wife and baby should be first priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.