Cold frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello!

I'm looking to get a cold frame for my outdoor enclosure for once it starts getting chilly out (I live in Florida...so it really doesn't get that chilly. But a few months from now we will start getting weather in the 50s and 60s, and I don't want my box turtles to be uncomfortable. And Beans gets really stressed out when I try to put her inside over night, so I'd like to avoid that. It takes her over a week to recover and not hate me after a night inside).

I'm having trouble finding a small one. It seems like any time I try to find something for outdoor enclosures, everything good is from the UK (has anyone else noticed that? They have great pre-made stuff for tortoises over there).

Anyway, I'm a terrible craftsman so if I could find something pre-made or 'some assembly required' that's ideal. I'm not good at going to the hardware store, buying my supplies, and just creating something. Unfortunately.

I really like this one:
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=191&pf_id=LS6553D
But they don't ship to the US.

Does anyone know of anything comparable that I can get here? Something smaaaalllll like this one...not 4 feet wide, etc. And something that won't break my bank. I just finished spending another $150 for an expansion project for my pen, as I'm getting a new rescue this weekend.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They have really nice ones on ebay. Not that cheap, but some in the 50 - 75 range.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They're actually very easy to build and will cost much less than purchasing one. The principle is simple, you're just using a piece of glass (preferably) or clear plastic to trap heat in a box. The base (box) can be anything sturdy. Wood is the best choice simply because it's inexpensive and durable.

Mine:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out amazon. Also if you google it, a lot comes up. I bought mine from Wayfair.com. Check them out too. Have you thought about the pop up portable green houses? I used one for my leopard in the warmer winter months and I live in Chicago. As long as I had sun, it stayed warm.

Here's a thread to the first cold frame/ hot house i bought. revamped it a little and i put it out my window for some winter sun/heat and new space to explore. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-40800.html

Status
Not open for further replies.