COLD DARK ROOM

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Rose went to see the northern lights last night. She said it was nice. The only problem was there was a full moon. It took some of the color away. So if anyone goes to see the northern lights. Make sure there is not going to be a full moon.
I bet it was still beautiful! My stepdaughter Rachel sent some wonderful photos.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The company who turned off the gas to your house in order to replace the gas powered hot water tank SHOULD have asked if you had any other gas appliances. Our gas company recently replaced the outside gas meter on our house. Once done, the tech came in the house and checked/relit pilot on our fireplace & furnace & water tank.

Good you got things warmed up.
Yes I'm trying to blame them for all of it but.... then there's our water that sucks. When we cleaned out the hot water side on the kitchen faucet there was a LOT of sediment and our water does that. It would have been nice to know on Monday though that the furnace decided to take a ?. I really need to service it before winter though anyway. So it might just be the good Lord reminding me to get things in order ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
O-o-oh. . . now I see. I couldn't understand how you were heating your house with a water heater.
I've actually lived in a house that did have steam heat but not here. It's not a bad heat source as long as you can keep the boiler running. I think that's really an old time heat source. We even had it in my elementary school. But yes it was just a water heater and all heck broke loose since. I got the kitchen faucet fixed but now today the phone, WiFi and internet is down along with the furnace. It's raining and pouring ? But I've seen worse.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
WooHoo, we got .22" of Rain ?? overnight! Other areas got a lot more.
Almost forgot how nice it is to have "moisture" around. AND the air smells fresh, too.
I know for some folks this is NBD, but we have been parched here. so for us it IS a BD.
That smell is called petrichor, I love it too.

PETRICHOR | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary​

https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › petrichor

8 days ago — petrichor definition: 1. the smell produced when rain falls on dry ground, usually experienced as being pleasant 2. the…. Learn more.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Rose went to see the northern lights last night. She said it was nice. The only problem was there was a full moon. It took some of the color away. So if anyone goes to see the northern lights. Make sure there is not going to be a full moon.
Not something you'd think of when booking that trip, I bet it was still amazing though.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My step-daughter just got back from Iceland and Amsterdam. He job sent her there for 2 months!
Once I actually got to see the Northern lights where I live here in Ohio. It wasn't like seeing them in Iceland of course but it was so beautiful I knew I was seeing something exceptional. I didn't understand what I was seeing until several days later when I saw the explanations in the newspaper. It wasn't bright lights here it was just the dark sky and clouds changing all kinds of beautiful colors. It was as amazing as seeing them almost.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Once I actually got to see the Northern lights where I live here in Ohio. It wasn't like seeing them in Iceland of course but it was so beautiful I knew I was seeing something exceptional. I didn't understand what I was seeing until several days later when I saw the explanations in the newspaper. It wasn't bright lights here it was just the dark sky and clouds changing all kinds of beautiful colors. It was as amazing as seeing them almost.
I worked 2nd shift and one time when I got home in Michigan. The sky was beautiful with all the stars on the clear sky's. I noticed a glowing in the sky more intense at times. It was only white but amazing. Told a friend of mine about the next day. That's when I found out it was the northern lights.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Good advice. I would have never thought to check. Better travel choices by living vicariously thru others. Oh geez, Ray. Tell Rose I'm sorry. That is absolutely something that happens to me on planned vacations.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some parts of the UK had a chance to see them recently because of a flare from the sun affecting the particles I think (if I remember rightly). I didn't - it was too cloudy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all.
What a difference a day makes!
It's very bright and sunny today but obviously not very warm.
I walked to the local park earlier to get some fresh air and it was really lovely with all the autumn colours around me.
Lola hasn't surfaced yet today but has eaten thanks to room surface. He's just happy watching his world go by from his doorstep!
I hope you're all having a good Thursday.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow. What a fantastic morning/day it’s turning out to be. Full sunshine, and sunny - no wind. I got out early for some kayaking exploring. Went to one of my old spots that i havent frequented in some time.

My Launching Area
View attachment 334910

Awfully nice Autumnal feel to the morning.

923AD21E-036D-4E3C-8B61-B8DFA54820FB.jpeg