COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Picked up a few items from Lowes & picked up two 1/2 inch bolts with associated washers & nuts. Close to $14.00 for two bolts! Yikes….back in the day, i think a buck or two would have covered it.

On the plus side, I checked out their discarded junk wood section & picked up some nice scrap wood for FREE. Most Home Depot & Lowes have an area where the junk gets placed before being tossed. You never know what you might find.
I did t even know that was a thing!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all! Weather is still holding towards the hot side but we are atleast getting the cooler mornings for a taste of fall.. been super busy with work and all the animals. I’m getting lots of fresh eggs and we sell them here in our neighborhood to recoup some feed money. Son and I kayak to the island and collect duck eggs every other day. We are incubating and will sell those babies also. No geese eggs yet.. they may wait until next spring. My horse has been having trouble with his allergies so i have been medicating him.. dogs, bunny, ferrets, and tortoises, and cats are all good. Life on the farm!!! Have missed chatting lately, my days are just too short now..

have a great day yall!
Good to not see you back Heather and pleased you are well. I wondered where you were but guessed it was the 2 and 4 legged family keeping you busy!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's been blustery but drier here and we should have a decent day tomorrow.
Good to see Heather back and lots of chat from everyone else today .:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It was my favourite book for years - I had 2 copies - different editions, which I would read simultaneously open on my lap - I started reading quite young, and was fascinated by the fact that the stories were not the same - they were translated from German by different people, who "improved" them by adding bits of their own, etc. Over the years ,I gathered more copies all different - some with lovely illustrations, some with whole new chapters, and I used to go to secondhand book fairs in London - I have over 100 copies now - including my original ones, of course - nothing very valuable, but I love them anyway. There are even too many to go in my lovely book case !!
Angie
I love old books. Especially the really old ones. I know of several I wish I still had. One was an old Audubon book that said white pelicans were native to Ohio back then. About 100 years ago. I've seen a few lately because of the efforts of people trying to help the wildlife. Another was a high school math book that makes the high school math book of today look like a book for elementary school ? and many more

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all

Seems they were down world wide, didn't bother me as I don't use them.
I was chatting here on TFO between trying to tell my kids, grandkids, and Joe that the whole world didn't come to an end. Oh I forgot Joe must have slept through it...phew ?? just because someone pushed the wrong or right button.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They haven't started yet. First the power poles have to be moved out of the way, and before that happens the power company will bring the new poles and lay them at the side of the road. Eventually they will come and set the new poles, transfer the lines and remove the old poles.

The City engineer told me they would build my new driveway first because the power pole is going to be in the middle of my old driveway.

Then they've got fence removal all up and down the street for about 4 miles, and fence rebuilding, etc. They've got to build a retaining wall across the front of my property to contain the hill.

So I don't really expect to see anything going on for a month or so. And in the meantime I'm stuck with this:

Tubs that aren't big enough for the size of the turtles. . .

View attachment 334107

8 goldfish and many, many mosquito fish:

View attachment 334108

(I have a new canister filter for this tub but I haven't set it up yet)

Two very large Florida softshells that are WAY too big to live like this:
View attachment 334109

A VERY large Phrynops hillari, likewise too big for the tub:

View attachment 334110

4 VERY large female RES and 1 EXTRA large western painted:

View attachment 334111

and 3 male pond turtles:

View attachment 334112

I'm seriously considering finding new homes for some of them. I hate to get rid of them because my pond is one of my enjoyments about my life here, but it's really hard to take care of turtles that are too big for their containers. I have to change the water every couple days and I just hate seeing them so cramped.
Wow, you have your hands full.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's been quite a nice day today and I was able to haul things out of my shed to rearrange the space - what little space there is left!!!
I have a new visitor to my garden - a grey squirrel - and unfortunately it looks like he's set up home in a narrow gap between the extensions of my house and the nasty neighbours. I can't see if he's managed to get into one of our rooftops, but he couldn't have picked a worse place as it means that the neighbours will go all out to blame me. Good job I know their builder changed the plans when he built it and is responsible for the gap, but it means more unpleasantness. :(
I've put a trap out in the hope I can get to him first. Unfortunately cute as they are they have to be euthanized when caught, and even vets and rescues aren't allowed to treat or care for sick and orphaned squirrels now. At least if I can get him I can have it done gently at a vets (unless he just happens to escape on route through a forest that is!;))

Hope you're all having a good Wednesday!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's been blustery but drier here and we should have a decent day tomorrow.
Good to see Heather back and lots of chat from everyone else today .:)
And good morning! Although I suspect it’s afternoon for you now… Cinder and I are working today With a gas processing facility… yesterday we played hooky for a hair appointment. She loves it when we go to the salon! 0571C5B2-0D63-4DF3-B68C-7DE2729B7611.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
And good morning! Although I suspect it’s afternoon for you now… Cinder and I are working today With a gas processing facility… yesterday we played hooky for a hair appointment. She loves it when we go to the salon! View attachment 334159
I bet she gets lots of attention from the staff and other customers, ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dang it! It's just so disheartening. . .

Ever since I was incapacitated for two or three months, resting so my bones could heal, I've been trying to get my get-up-and-go back. It's been a whole year, for cripe's sake!

So, I have limited energy to get chores done outside, and this a.m. I worked on setting up my new canister filter in the goldfish water trough. I read the directions as I went along, and got it working perfectly. It's outside, so I jury rigged a covered area for the filter to be out of the weather. I disconnected the electrical cord so I could feed it through a piece of PVC and when I plugged it back in it doesn't turn on. I double checked the GFI and it's ok. I plugged a light into the outlet and it's working. And my energy for the day has been all used up. SHEESH!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Ever since I was incapacitated for two or three months, resting so my bones could heal, I've been trying to get my get-up-and-go back. It's been a whole year, for cripe's sake!

So, I have limited energy to get chores done outside, and this a.m. I worked on setting up my new canister filter in the goldfish water trough. I read the directions as I went along, and got it working perfectly. It's outside, so I jury rigged a covered area for the filter to be out of the weather. I disconnected the electrical cord so I could feed it through a piece of PVC and when I plugged it back in it doesn't turn on. I double checked the GFI and it's ok. I plugged a light into the outlet and it's working. And my energy for the day has been all used up. SHEESH!!
Maybe you could use a calcium and D3 supplement. It's actually good for older people anyway. I would think that healing a couple of broken bones probably took a lot out of you.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last physical they did a bone density scan and the Dr. told me I needed to supplement calcium with d3. Naturally, I didn't pay attention. But since it's coming from you, i'll give it a try.??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Last physical they did a bone density scan and the Dr. told me I needed to supplement calcium with d3. Naturally, I didn't pay attention. But since it's coming from you, i'll give it a try.??
Do calcium citrate not carbonate and only 250 or so per tablet. Most of them have some D3 in them. But I also supplement with a D3 by itself. Calcium citrate is supposedly better absorbed for elderly people. I think it did help my energy level. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yes, very frustrating! Ive had a few projects like this. Garbage disposal in our sink stopped working. We checked everything….power, outlet, GFI, etc. Bought a new one, put it in - NOTHING! After even more digging around, turned out to be a loose wire on the on/off switch. AND, the old one was fine afterall. At that point - the new one stayed in.