COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I spoke too soon. Sun popped out about noon - soooo hot, muggy & humid. 4 October and muggy. ??‍♂️
It's pouring down here at the moment with weather warnings issued. It should calm down in an hour or so though. Lola hasn't been to the garden for about 5 days now, he lies by the door but hasn't attempted to venture out. Temps about 50F at the moment.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yes, and it was a good place with a huge window. It was off Peckham Rye - best fireworks I ever saw there, on November 5th.! It was a pleasant neighbourhood, in those days - there are gangs and stabbings, and a lot of trouble
there now, I think. There was a huge warehouse place , full of strange bits of furniture, carved screens and other really old church stuff, which would probably be worth a fortune now - some of it was really beautiful, but covered in dust, and possibly woodworm too. Still, I wish I had been able to get something - but no room! However, I do have a carved bookcase made by my great-uncle from church pews , which holds my treasured collection of different editions of Swiss Family Robinson !!
Angie
I absolutely love Swiss family Robinson.. I would Also imagine the book case is pretty special:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yes it is. I have some visitors so I am blessed. Sometimes it's nice when your young people have to check social media and leave you alone for a few minutes ????
Bet you didn’t get left alone too much with the FB and Instagram crashes ?

regardless kids are usually hood for brightening the day. Conversation is always so unique!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I've been great! I started high school (almost through my first midterm already), rode my horse a lot (until he got in a trailer accident and screwed up his leg), currently playing nurse to my horse, and taking care of my 4 roosters, 1 duck, 2 dogs, 1 peacock, 20 something tame farm cats, my betta, leopard gecko, and Tonka my RT. (I don't think I forgot any pets this time) :)
How are you liking your first year in high school so far? My middle daughter started her first year too…. She’s not complaining a lot… yet:)

so sorry about your horse? How bad is the injury? He may need some special attention with trailering now… Would love to see pictures of your pets sometime! Good luck and keep them grades up!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
We've had a couple of pretty smokey years here in the Central Valley of California, what with all the forest fires up north. Haven't had nice, clear sunny days for quite a while. Other than being sort of depressing, the overcast days haven't really affected me. But today I sure could have used an oxygen mask. I cleaned out the SA leopard shed and got it all set up for winter then got out the chain saw to cut up a eucalyptus branch that fell in my yard off my neighbor's tree. I worked on it for about ten minutes when it suddenly dawned on me I was having a hard time catching my breath. Felt like I had been running. So I came in the house and sat down for a few minutes. That few minutes turned into almost a half hour. I've learned my lesson. No more working outside until we get some wind to blow the smoke away! I know, I know. . . any old excuse!!
Well you already know… so I’ll save the lecture!
I am a bit jealous over the eucalyptus tree… I’d love to have one..

I have been busy here preparing animals for the colder weather. love this time of year though

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all! Weather is still holding towards the hot side but we are atleast getting the cooler mornings for a taste of fall.. been super busy with work and all the animals. I’m getting lots of fresh eggs and we sell them here in our neighborhood to recoup some feed money. Son and I kayak to the island and collect duck eggs every other day. We are incubating and will sell those babies also. No geese eggs yet.. they may wait until next spring. My horse has been having trouble with his allergies so i have been medicating him.. dogs, bunny, ferrets, and tortoises, and cats are all good. Life on the farm!!! Have missed chatting lately, my days are just too short now..

have a great day yall!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well you already know… so I’ll save the lecture!
I am a bit jealous over the eucalyptus tree… I’d love to have one..

I have been busy here preparing animals for the colder weather. love this time of year though
I ordered seeds a couple different times of the rainbow eucalyptus. The first batch never sprouted and I never received the second batch. If you don't know it, do a Google image search for rainbow eucalyptus. It's a beauty!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We've had a couple of pretty smokey years here in the Central Valley of California, what with all the forest fires up north. Haven't had nice, clear sunny days for quite a while. Other than being sort of depressing, the overcast days haven't really affected me. But today I sure could have used an oxygen mask. I cleaned out the SA leopard shed and got it all set up for winter then got out the chain saw to cut up a eucalyptus branch that fell in my yard off my neighbor's tree. I worked on it for about ten minutes when it suddenly dawned on me I was having a hard time catching my breath. Felt like I had been running. So I came in the house and sat down for a few minutes. That few minutes turned into almost a half hour. I've learned my lesson. No more working outside until we get some wind to blow the smoke away! I know, I know. . . any old excuse!!

View attachment 334102
Yvonne, how did the road construction and your pond turn out?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I absolutely love Swiss family Robinson.. I would Also imagine the book case is pretty special:)
It was my favourite book for years - I had 2 copies - different editions, which I would read simultaneously open on my lap - I started reading quite young, and was fascinated by the fact that the stories were not the same - they were translated from German by different people, who "improved" them by adding bits of their own, etc. Over the years ,I gathered more copies all different - some with lovely illustrations, some with whole new chapters, and I used to go to secondhand book fairs in London - I have over 100 copies now - including my original ones, of course - nothing very valuable, but I love them anyway. There are even too many to go in my lovely book case !!
Angie

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I ordered seeds a couple different times of the rainbow eucalyptus. The first batch never sprouted and I never received the second batch. If you don't know it, do a Google image search for rainbow eucalyptus. It's a beauty!

I just lost my second of the rainbow trees. Growing inside with LED didn't work so well i guess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, how did the road construction and your pond turn out?
They haven't started yet. First the power poles have to be moved out of the way, and before that happens the power company will bring the new poles and lay them at the side of the road. Eventually they will come and set the new poles, transfer the lines and remove the old poles.

The City engineer told me they would build my new driveway first because the power pole is going to be in the middle of my old driveway.

Then they've got fence removal all up and down the street for about 4 miles, and fence rebuilding, etc. They've got to build a retaining wall across the front of my property to contain the hill.

So I don't really expect to see anything going on for a month or so. And in the meantime I'm stuck with this:

Tubs that aren't big enough for the size of the turtles. . .

Road Widening 10-5-21 a.jpg

8 goldfish and many, many mosquito fish:

Road widening 10-5-21 b.jpg

(I have a new canister filter for this tub but I haven't set it up yet)

Two very large Florida softshells that are WAY too big to live like this:
road widening 10-5-21 c.jpg

A VERY large Phrynops hillari, likewise too big for the tub:

road widening 10-5-21 d.jpg

4 VERY large female RES and 1 EXTRA large western painted:

road widening 10-5-21 e.jpg

and 3 male pond turtles:

road widening 10-5-21 f.jpg

I'm seriously considering finding new homes for some of them. I hate to get rid of them because my pond is one of my enjoyments about my life here, but it's really hard to take care of turtles that are too big for their containers. I have to change the water every couple days and I just hate seeing them so cramped.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Aw SH--! Don't you have a patio or balconey where you can try it outside? I'm going to keep buying them until I have success.

Wow…just looked at Rainbow E. It’s still considered a young tree at 40 years old. Good looking bark. I’m impressed you guys are trying from seed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Picked up a few items from Lowes & picked up two 1/2 inch bolts with associated washers & nuts. Close to $14.00 for two bolts! Yikes….back in the day, i think a buck or two would have covered it.

On the plus side, I checked out their discarded junk wood section & picked up some nice scrap wood for FREE. Most Home Depot & Lowes have an area where the junk gets placed before being tossed. You never know what you might find.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Picked up a few items from Lowes & picked up two 1/2 inch bolts with associated washers & nuts. Close to $14.00 for two bolts! Yikes….back in the day, i think a buck or two would have covered it.

On the plus side, I checked out their discarded junk wood section & picked up some nice scrap wood for FREE. Most Home Depot & Lowes have an area where the junk gets placed before being tossed. You never know what you might find.
I'm gonna check that out. They did that once for me but I can't remember what I used it was for. It was the very thin sheets for shipping tiles on.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Bet you didn’t get left alone too much with the FB and Instagram crashes ?

regardless kids are usually hood for brightening the day. Conversation is always so unique!!
Yesterday they at first they thought their phones were dying and then they resorted to conspiracy theories. It's a wonder my brother wasn't sobbing ?.He must have slept through it. I of course thought it was funny buttt... Even though I really don't like Facebook, for a lot of people it's an essential way for them to be with other people. So it really is an important public service. I was able to talk with youal though. I understood their frustration though from when site updates ? take place ?