COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Last discovery during yesterday morning’s kayak trip. Colonies of Bryozoans. Yep, lots of them.

Most ask what they are….

Typically, when people ask this question,what they have discovered is a colony of the freshwater bryozoan Pectinatella magnifica. Freshwater bryozoans are microscopic aquatic invertebrates that live in colonies that can form into jelly-like clumps, and are often found attached to docks or sticks. Bryozoan colonies can be as big as one foot (30 centimeters) in diameter. The base of each tiny bryozoan is attached to a surface. Its body has an outer sleeve-like structure called the cystid, and a mass of organs called polypide that moves inside of it.

Pix…one down in the water, the other on deck.

View attachment 333526

View attachment 333527
That's incredible - I've not seen them before. They look like rocks in the water.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok… so….

1)- what is it considered?
An animal?
A plant?
2)- how do they move?
Do they squirm like a slug?
3)- does it have a face?
If it has internal organs, at least God could have given it a face. No?

4)- it oooks like a hedgehog curled up in fear?!!!

Either way, it’s very cool and thank you for the description.
However, it’s Saturday and my brain ? is working far less today than that beautiful….
(Whatever it is) creature from the lagoon.
Could you please fill in the blanks?
Maybe even give it A FACE!??? ?
Welcome back Chef! Hope you've recovered from that last big storm to hit you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
We've got some heavy rain and strong wind on its way during the night so I've been battening down the hatches. I don't think it's going to last long though and should be calmer by daylight.
Apart from that I had a fairly restful Sunday - in fact so restful that I kept falling asleep. I've not been sleeping too well lately and I think it all caught up with me today.
Hope you're all having a good Sunday.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thats a good sign, it means your water is clean & fresh. From what I read, the populations (size of the globs) get much larger as Fall sets in. They prepare to over-winter.

Wonder how they would work out in a cold fresh water aquarium.
There is something like that in lake Michigan. When there is what we called a bloom of them. Your fishing line would be covered with them after trolling for awhile. Kind of a hassle trying to clear your lines.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thats a good sign, it means your water is clean & fresh. From what I read, the populations (size of the globs) get much larger as Fall sets in. They prepare to over-winter.

Wonder how they would work out in a cold fresh water aquarium.
I'm just glad that if I ever get to see one ? I'll have a general idea of what I'm looking at ☺️ and know that it's a good invertebrate ?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's my favorite part of it! I try to leave none for the other people.
Yep! It can be fried, steamed, however you want to cook it, I love it. My favorite grocery store has dried okra in snack containers. It's way better than potato chips with a nice chicken soup ? I make sure my little Sapphire gets some fresh now and then.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon/evening all.
We've got some heavy rain and strong wind on its way during the night so I've been battening down the hatches. I don't think it's going to last long though and should be calmer by daylight.
Apart from that I had a fairly restful Sunday - in fact so restful that I kept falling asleep. I've not been sleeping too well lately and I think it all caught up with me today.
Hope you're all having a good Sunday.
If you were falling asleep, you must have needed the rest… hope the storm is passed and your off for a beautiful uneventful day!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
oh...oh...I'm getting out my passport... gonna make a trip to the United Kingdom where they are running out of supplies and petrol due to a lack of truck drivers.
Radio announcers voice... " ladies and gentle we break into regular programming to inform you that service stations are running out of fuel and empty shelves where there should be plenty bog rolls; we will face a dire situation in the loo".
So get ready cuz here she comes that marvelous mysterious magnificent jewel of the PacificNorthWest...Maggie the...hmmm mechanical...hmmm Maggie the...what? Anyhow I'm gonna go save the Queen...and drive truck on the wrong side of the road...oh dear! lol