COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Made my Dad teach me the basics of car maintenance. My first car was an old mini and that was just like a Meccano set, I even managed to changed the petrol pump in that and do all the brakes etc. saved myself a lot of money on garage fees. Modern cars are more computerised so topping up the fluids and recharging a battery are about all I can do now.
I grew up with mechanics so they used me for my small hands as a helper. I know what you mean about the computerized crap and even more. Today I've got Joe's car in the shop for fixing his brake lights, turn signal lights, and maybe the turn signal switch.? My brother that's a mechanic said take it to the garage ? They called me to find out how to get into the trunk and the only reason I know how is I read the book ? that's how I found out where the battery is when Joe needed a battery charge from AAA. It's pretty bad when even mechanics have to learn how to read.??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's still pretty warm and dry here and I'm glad Lola is still able to go out and bask, he'll miss it when the temps drop and the wet weather arrives.
I had the MRI on my right knee today, but won't get the results for a few weeks.
Apart from that nothing special happening.

The bin saga continues with me pushing it away from my door and them pushing it back. The wheels will drop off soon!:) 1632341268597.png

The only good thing about it is that all the other neighbours can see what they're like and the sort of low level bullying I have to put up with. A few have asked me what they are doing. One has suggested I get some blokes to go and have a 'quiet' word with them another thinks I should empty it over the pavement. It's a pity none of them will speak up for me, but I suppose they don't want to get involved in neighbourhood squabbles.
At least it's spurred on my efforts to find a new home.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I grew up with mechanics so they used me for my small hands as a helper. I know what you mean about the computerized crap and even more. Today I've got Joe's car in the shop for fixing his brake lights, turn signal lights, and maybe the turn signal switch.? My brother that's a mechanic said take it to the garage ? They called me to find out how to get into the trunk and the only reason I know how is I read the book ? that's how I found out where the battery is when Joe needed a battery charge from AAA. It's pretty bad when even mechanics have to learn how to read.??
I can still do the bulb changes but I have to remove the whole units now so a much longer job that it used to be.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can still do the bulb changes but I have to remove the whole units now so a much longer job that it used to be.
It's the turn signal switch that's crazy ?. I watched 2 videos and the first one was pretty much what my mechanic brother said. I don't want to do this. And every other word started with an f on the video.? Neither one looks easy. And it used to be a simple thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's still pretty warm and dry here and I'm glad Lola is still able to go out and bask, he'll miss it when the temps drop and the wet weather arrives.
I had the MRI on my right knee today, but won't get the results for a few weeks.
Apart from that nothing special happening.

The bin saga continues with me pushing it away from my door and them pushing it back. The wheels will drop off soon!:) View attachment 333301

The only good thing about it is that all the other neighbours can see what they're like and the sort of low level bullying I have to put up with. A few have asked me what they are doing. One has suggested I get some blokes to go and have a 'quiet' word with them another thinks I should empty it over the pavement. It's a pity none of them will speak up for me, but I suppose they don't want to get involved in neighbourhood squabbles.
At least it's spurred on my efforts to find a new home.
Maybe they're saying, "Here, you may use my bin to deposit your garbage in! Have a lovely day!!"

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s the turtle saga.

As I was paddling this morning, i noticed a slight disturbance along the shoreline. Watched & paddled closer, yep, had to be a fish or turtle or something.

Once on the scene I quickly see that we have two pretty large turtles “fighting” or doing something odd. I paddled right up to them with camera at the ready. I figured for sure that they would scurry away.
Nope, they stayed there as I snapped.

74A85296-F0F9-4BD8-80FA-9D4802991A3A.jpeg

After this first pix, I reached down into the water and grabbed the larger one from the very back end and lifted him out. As i lifted out I quickly noticed that this large turtle had the front claw & leg of the other half way down its mouth. I lifted both turtles out (still attached) & dropped them on my lap. Time for a few more pix. Flipped them over for another pix.

CE14E2E9-5111-4883-9B06-516D7621F3FF.jpeg

67571165-28C6-4C2F-9B68-98E8707906C8.jpeg

Then some up close head shots.

207B1159-C3E7-46E5-8812-ABE16E66ED66.jpeg
1DE90849-3D74-46A5-B957-4C6EEB84564C.jpeg

B10F4662-D0DF-4D66-915B-5677E1AB7834.jpeg

✅ Check out those claws!

One last shot on the bow of the boat before back into the water.

C7035172-A53C-46E8-BBCB-1D2F1921BDA3.jpeg

The large turtle was a little feisty, the smaller one very spooked.

✅ Check out the differences in their faces & eyes & beaks.

The End

Attachments

• 596FAE99-C0AF-4BE4-8C55-C0A24F27A142.jpeg
    596FAE99-C0AF-4BE4-8C55-C0A24F27A142.jpeg
    662.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here’s the turtle saga.

As I was paddling this morning, i noticed a slight disturbance along the shoreline. Watched & paddled closer, yep, had to be a fish or turtle or something.

Once on the scene I quickly see that we have two pretty large turtles “fighting” or doing something odd. I paddled right up to them with camera at the ready. I figured for sure that they would scurry away.

View attachment 333462

After this first pix, I reached down into the water and grabbed the larger one from the very back end and lifted him out. As i lifted out I quickly noticed that this large turtle had the front claw & leg of the other half way down its mouth. I lifted both turtles out (still attached) & dropped them on my lap. Time for a few more pix. Flipped them over for another pix.

View attachment 333455

View attachment 333454

View attachment 333456
View attachment 333457

View attachment 333459

✅ Check out those claws!

View attachment 333460

The End
That little turtle must have nine lives and was rescued again by you.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy Friday!!

speaking of Chili, look what I found…View attachment 333428
That kinda sounds good but I'd have to substitute the black beans and corn. Which would be easy. I don't like black beans and I can't have corn but I bet it would still be nice with some other dark bean and maybe a 3 pepper and onion frozen mix. Oh yeah no light cheese for me ? the full flavor or nothing for me. Mexicana chicken chili ?️

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here’s the turtle saga.

View attachment 333462

View attachment 333455

View attachment 333454

View attachment 333456
View attachment 333457

View attachment 333459

✅ Check out those claws!

View attachment 333460

The End
Wow! That's incredible, and you saved the little one from a nasty injury - or worse!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's cloudy here but still quite warm and dry.
My car failed it's MOT yesterday because the brake discs were rusted so it cost me about £180 to have them and new brake pads replaced. At least I have the MOT certificate now, so I can tax it, and I also have to renew the insurance next week too. It's an expensive time of year.
I managed to fill up with petrol too.
The garages are crazy at the moment with long queues because the shortage of tanker drivers means that deliveries aren't getting to them especially for diesel. Plus there's a lot of panic buying going on. I don't drive far since I retired so my tank should last me a long time.
I don't know where all the drivers have suddenly disappeared to - some are blaming Brexit and the fact that overseas workers have gone home, but I can't believe that so many of them were drivers!
Between that and the empty supermarket shelves the selfish Brits have started stockpiling in a big way.
I just hope Lola's salad supplies for the winter will be OK.
Hope everyone has a good Saturday.