COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good morning all and happy Thursday! Another wet one here today. Looks like my tortoise pen will be on hold for a few days. I need a full day to work and I have things to do everyday.. maybe Monday I can get it finished ?

hope you all have a great one!
Wishing the same for you too Heather.
Pickles is a lucky boy!
We have rain here today too but it's just drizzle at the moment - heavy rain on the way for Saturday so they say.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
G’day all. This Summer heat & humidity is killing me. It’s been so hot, and now we have had rain storm after rain storm. The humidity was hanging above 80 percent all day yesterday. Just nasty outside.

We finished up another mixed species bowl - this time, Zebra Wood & Walnut.

5BA1616C-E6AF-44A5-9182-D0B35F0383CE.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning all and happy Thursday! Another wet one here today. Looks like my tortoise pen will be on hold for a few days. I need a full day to work and I have things to do everyday.. maybe Monday I can get it finished ?

hope you all have a great one!
Don't forget to take lots of pictures for us.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Definitely best to stay in.. I’m lucky that I have plenty to do right here..

it would be nice if I could take the tortoise yard at my own pace but once I start taking apart the old pen, I’ve got to get the new one finished the same day… I’m going to need a full day for that. I worked all day today in the rain… i figured the rain was way better than the heat. I got the expansion part finished.. I’m DOG tired!!! I hope my back still works tomorrow!

lol!!! Funny you say that because I dreamed about that Last night!!! I had taken the kid off and cleaned all the poop.. disconnected necessary cords and all was good.. but then when I went to put the box part on the dolly, out came the big mean one!!!

you can bet I’ll be watching!
I've found that sometimes when life pops up while working on a project like that, the extra time gives your mind time to sort it out better. And it's for the good job well done in the end.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
G’day all. This Summer heat & humidity is killing me. It’s been so hot, and now we have had rain storm after rain storm. The humidity was hanging above 80 percent all day yesterday. Just nasty outside.

View attachment 331203
Was that one of your special wood blocks? I can't remember the types of wood that they were. That's really beautiful.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

View attachment 331203
That's beautiful!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's a grey day here again.
I've been busy cleaning windows, now I'm just wondering if I can recoat a stone window ledge with masonry paint before the rain comes in. ?
It's Friday again!
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's a grey day here again.
I've been busy cleaning windows, now I'm just wondering if I can recoat a stone window ledge with masonry paint before the rain comes in. ?
It's Friday again!
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Rainy, humid & overcast here. A few larger storms passing through the area & up the coast.

Going to be sloppy wet all weekend.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Apologies all for my absence. I have been exceedingly busy.

However, the brief news is that I am on holiday at last. We left home at silly o’clock this morning… drove to the Eurotunnel terminal and onto a train… and then drove another 570 miles arriving in a tiny place called Mirmande in France.

Traffic was abnormally quiet and we arrived at 4.30pm local time. We would have been delighted with a 5.30pm arrival so this was very cool.

The sun is out. It’s 30C but there’s a cooling breeze and it’s all very pleasant for relaxing with a beer. ?

So here are a few postcards.
7684702D-5CE9-4D79-8E04-54E14129AB43.jpeg
DA98BD07-840E-496C-9757-E99BDDC6ECE0.jpeg
93998CF1-3C05-46DF-AC35-57D9BCCC63F1.jpeg
1C3D08B1-F8FF-4851-B344-DC3FF544FDEE.jpeg
The wifi is terrible so there may not be anything else until we get somewhere more modern tomorrow!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

However, the brief news is that I am on holiday at last. We left home at silly o’clock this morning… drove to the Eurotunnel terminal and onto a train… and then drove another 570 miles arriving in a tiny place called Mirmande in France.

Traffic was abnormally quiet and we arrived at 4.30pm local time. We would have been delighted with a 5.30pm arrival so this was very cool.

The sun is out. It’s 30C but there’s a cooling breeze and it’s all very pleasant for relaxing with a beer. ?

View attachment 331277
View attachment 331278
View attachment 331279
View attachment 331280
The wifi is terrible so there may not be anything else until we get somewhere more modern tomorrow!
I wondered if it was France time again.
Hope you have a lovely time - looks like a beautiful place.
Are your son and daughter joining you this year?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 331203
Besutiful!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 331277
View attachment 331278
View attachment 331279
View attachment 331280
I love your holidays!!! I hope you are getting a good recharge for your self.. Be safe!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just about every day I wake up at about 2:30 am and try my best to go back to sleep ? but this morning was harder than usual. I usually turn on the news for it to bore me to sleep buttt... that didn't happen this morning. About the time I was finally going to sleep the local news ran a story on Bald Face hornets are in Ohio ? and please send pictures if you spot any.? so of course I had to tell my son. He actually has a video of one eating a horse fly ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's very wet here today, but good to give the gardens and hills a good soaking.
There is the possibility of thunder storms for the next 24 hours but it doesn't feel as if they are near yet.
Lola has had a look at the garden and gone back to bed, but he did have a late night.
I couldn't get him to stay in his hide last night, even with his lights off and a towel over his doorway. When I popped in to check on him he was peeping out into the darkness with the towel draped over his head looking like an Arabian Sheikh :D Of course seeing me was his cue to wander out again.
He eventually tucked himself in though. ?
I hope everyone has a good Saturday and I'll see you later.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning! I am so sore that I can hardly move this morning but I finished Pickle’s move yesterday. He seemed to like his new yard and it’s a big weight off of me because I’m not worried about it being to small. I did have a couple pieces of lumber that the bugs had destroyed. I went ahead and used them as top rails for now just so I could have His Highness back in his house last night… but I’ll have to replace those in the next few days.. I put him a big watering spot in there and that will have to be fixed into the ground also.. overall, the hard stuff is done.

you know I was worried about their being snakes under the box when I moved it so I was terrified at the initial lift of it.. No snakes, but there was one big bullfrog.. he hopped away as I was working and this morning I found him back in the bare spot where the house used to be.I picked him up and took him down to the new area and that dang frog immediately went under “his house” again ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pickles has a lot to explore, it looks great.
This is a pic of 4 of my frogs all lined up at the edge of their watering hole
P8190001 (2).JPG
I haven't seen the 5th frog for a while I hope he's OK and just moved on.
A group of frogs is called 'an army' - maybe that's where to frog march someone comes from.
I think 'a croak of frogs' sounds better.:)

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Pickles has a lot to explore, it looks great.
This is a pic of 4 of my frogs all lined up at the edge of their watering hole
View attachment 331362
I haven't seen the 5th frog for a while I hope he's OK and just moved on.
A group of frogs is called 'an army' - maybe that's where to frog march someone comes from.
I think 'a croak of frogs' sounds better.:)
Lined up like that, the frogs remind me of Joe'sMum's baby birds getting fed at the rescue.