COLD DARK ROOM

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Good morning/afternoon all.
Quite cool here today but dry.
Not much on the agenda for me, my shoulder is a bit painful today and stopping me doing anything too physical, but I'll make the most of being lazy.
Hope you all have a good Thursday.

I hope you feel better soon Lyn.
Put ice on your shoulder today.
And watch tv…
Don’t worry … all the chores and errands will be there again tomorrow and the next day waiting for YOU.
So take today to rest.!!

Grab a cup of tea , a nice “Walker” biscuit and get sittin’!
May as well get fat while yer resting’ ?? ?

No…no…. A couple of days rest WILL NOT make anyone fat!!! ??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not the most picturesque of landscapes but greatly important in Welsh industrial history.
Welsh slate has been used all over the world.
The area is now busy attracting tourists with the zip wires across the valleys and activities in the old slate mines.
Some of my ancestors lived and worked in Blaenau Ffestiniog.

It’s quite the interesting location. I visited Blaenau Ffestinio many moons ago! it was chucking down rain But enjoyed the visit. Had some Welsh cakes as a snack, i think thats all the cafe had left.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well done Cathie I hope that if you have any side effects they aren't too bad. Do you have to have a 2nd at some point?
You're right about the masks - very few people I know had colds last winter so they definitely work in reducing viral infections. I'll be wearing mine for the foreseeable future and in crowded places.
I got the Johnson and Johnson so it's only 1 shot. The only thing so far is my arm is sore. They are seeing by the data that it's good for at least 8 months+ because that's all the data available. The mask also helps with seasonal allergies. The paper medical masks make me sick but the cloth ones don't and they work. I'll wear one to match my clothes from now on ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not the most picturesque of landscapes but greatly important in Welsh industrial history.
Welsh slate has been used all over the world.
The area is now busy attracting tourists with the zip wires across the valleys and activities in the old slate mines.
Some of my ancestors lived and worked in Blaenau Ffestiniog.
A few of the homes here still have slate roofs. And during the 90's the country decor type people sold roofing slates for people to do a country painting on.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It’s quite the interesting location. I visited Blaenau Ffestinio many moons ago! it was chucking down rain But enjoyed the visit. Had some Welsh cakes as a snack, i think thats all the cafe had left.
Just think of all the slate tortoise plates and nice warm basking slabs just lying about on the mountains!
It was raining when I was there last too, and a Welsh cafe without Welsh cakes just isn't heard of!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all! I’ll be working from home today and spending lots of time with the critters:) it’s quiet and muggy here right now…going to be a Hot one today.
It warmed up here this afternoon so Lola did find his basking spot for a while. Still quite windy though.
Hope the heat isn't too uncomfortable for you.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It warmed up here this afternoon so Lola did find his basking spot for a while. Still quite windy though.
Hope the heat isn't too uncomfortable for you.
My Sullies are digging for coolness in the shade.. not full burrows but just enough to allow them to sink in level… yesterday I put a misting system in the horse stalls.. usually when I work from home, I set up my computer and work area outside… but it’s too hot for that now. I have to do all my chores really early or late .. 0BFCA8DD-3EFC-4FD9-BB57-E4F4B5AC034E.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all.
We've had more lovely rain through the night and there's quite a chilly wind today so I don't think Lola will be rushing to go out.
Hope everyone has a good Friday.
It's a beautiful day here. The air temperature is around 80f but the in the sun temperature is around 95f. It's a perfect day for Sapphire to be out early. He's sitting under some weeds in his outdoor enclosure. I had a heck of time finding him.?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My Sullies are digging for coolness in the shade.. not full burrows but just enough to allow them to sink in level… yesterday I put a misting system in the horse stalls.. usually when I work from home, I set up my computer and work area outside… but it’s too hot for that now. I have to do all my chores really early or late .. View attachment 330071

I’d be dead ?….

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello all

It’s been a few days so I had better account for my absence.

At the rescue we are still in the thick of the baby bird season. My absolute favourites are these baby wrens that we have reared pretty much from the egg. Do have the sound on. They peep away at us constantly and seem to eat their own bodyweight in food hourly.

The video was last Tuesday and today they’re starting to look more grown up. Their appetites haven’t diminished though!
BA6D7323-15E4-4780-8AC4-57ADEA9B8DEA.jpeg

We went away glamping for a few days over last weekend. We were staying in a bell tent on the Knepp Estate in the neighbouring county of Sussex. The Estate has stopped farming intensively and is a huge rewilding project where deer, English Longhorn cows, Exmoor ponies and Tamworth pigs are being used to manage the landscape and wildlife is flourishing.

This was our accommodation - no electricity, but a proper bed and a fire pit which we could cook on… or there was a communal outdoor kitchen we could use.
C72633F7-401F-43DB-A90E-4F3B5433E22D.jpeg
075A08C5-577D-49B2-B392-4C3459F39520.jpeg
Some of the land managers:
Fallow deer buck
B1DAF563-1C21-4447-9CAE-55C7A671F6FF.jpeg
English Longhorn cattle
66F56641-416B-4F1E-9E21-5E04DBAC2B11.jpeg
Tamworth sow
31BC56B6-E96F-4B1A-BD02-BF222A75B6A7.jpeg
Red deer stag
5BF9121B-DB11-4A7C-B8B1-BA832028FBEE.jpeg

And this is the landscape they’re managing
C70B8985-59CC-4C93-BBFB-781F640569AC.jpeg5A49F17A-DD98-43F4-8147-155BAEF4D75E.jpeg

Knepp is full of birds,butterflies and other animals and their real stars are the White Storks that have established a breeeding colony there. They’re the first to breed in Britain for hundreds of years
2E18D604-727B-4F5F-825E-48A150061275.jpeg
B8584033-EF6A-4293-A3AF-4C95368CB15E.jpeg

The weather for the weekend was perhaps not the best. We started out on Friday in hot sun, but the forecast for the actual weekend was dire… thunderstorms and heavy rain. Luckily, we dodged the storms on the Saturday. Sunday was a total washout. Monday was fair again and overall we had a lovely time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning/afternoon all.
Quite cool here today but dry.
Not much on the agenda for me, my shoulder is a bit painful today and stopping me doing anything too physical, but I'll make the most of being lazy.
Hope you all have a good Thursday.
Oh ni! Not you too. That was the downside of our weekend away. The bed was so soft that my back and neck hated it. I went to the physio/osteo on Wednesday and return next week. I am better than I was, but things are generally stiff and sore round my neck and shoulders

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello all

It’s been a few days so I had better account for my absence.

At the rescue we are still in the thick of the baby bird season. My absolute favourites are these baby wrens that we have reared pretty much from the egg. Do have the sound on. They peep away at us constantly and seem to eat their own bodyweight in food hourly.

The video was last Tuesday and today they’re starting to look more grown up. Their appetites haven’t diminished though!
View attachment 330073

We went away glamping for a few days over last weekend. We were staying in a bell tent on the Knepp Estate in the neighbouring county of Sussex. The Estate has stopped farming intensively and is a huge rewilding project where deer, English Longhorn cows, Exmoor ponies and Tamworth pigs are being used to manage the landscape and wildlife is flourishing.

This was our accommodation - no electricity, but a proper bed and a fire pit which we could cook on… or there was a communal outdoor kitchen we could use.
View attachment 330074
View attachment 330075
Some of the land managers:
Fallow deer buck
View attachment 330080
English Longhorn cattle
View attachment 330081
Tamworth sow
View attachment 330082
Red deer stag
View attachment 330083

And this is the landscape they’re managing
View attachment 330077View attachment 330076

Knepp is full of birds,butterflies and other animals and their real stars are the White Storks that have established a breeeding colony there. They’re the first to breed in Britain for hundreds of years
View attachment 330078
View attachment 330079

The weather for the weekend was perhaps not the best. We started out on Friday in hot sun, but the forecast for the actual weekend was dire… thunderstorms and heavy rain. Luckily, we dodged the storms on the Saturday. Sunday was a total washout. Monday was fair again and overall we had a lovely time.
That looks like a perfect weekend for me. And those baby wrens are so precious. I love the paintbrush method. It keeps their little beaks clean.?