COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
As a treat for selling our Rehab house, wifey ordered some fancy woodblanks so I can turn some special bowls to remember the big day.
These 6x6x3 inch blanks should look interesting when finished.

View attachment 329373
I'm wondering what kinda wood too. I was thinking walnut stripes down the red one maybe. It WILL be fun to see your finished projects.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, lots more of the same weather on the way; temps even higher in the garden.
I'm looking forward to the weekend!

2021-07-20 (1).png

Lola is outside already - I wonder what trouble he'll get himself into today ?
I'm not doing anything too energetic but will have plenty to keep me occupied.
Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As a treat for selling our Rehab house, wifey ordered some fancy woodblanks so I can turn some special bowls to remember the big day.
These 6x6x3 inch blanks should look interesting when finished.

View attachment 329373
For those asking, here are the wood types.

Block on Left - Purple Heart & Maple
Block on Right - Padauk, Maple & Walnut

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good morning all, lots more of the same weather on the way; temps even higher in the garden.

View attachment 329399

??? wow!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He is so loving everybody's compliments ? I think he has to be stubborn to cope with everything. So I try to just help him be Joe as much as possible.? Sometimes I have to put my foot down and I don't enjoy it but it's sometimes necessary.
Stubbornness is a feture of Joes… my Joe was no different ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

View attachment 329399

No better here. We have melted for the last 3 days. Moving round in this heat is most unpleasant.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all. My enforced self isolation is going fine.

JoesDad completed his isolation at midnight on Saturday, so he went shopping on Sunday after doing a covid test to make sure he really was safe. I get let out at midnight on Wednesday. We both did covid tests again today and they’re still clear so hopefully we will be OK.

I have created a lot of listings on eBay. Sat at a computer in our spare bedroom, one of the coolest rooms in the house, is about as energetic as I could handle in the heat and humidity.

A thunderstorm skirted round our town to the East yesterday… and today one passed across to the North. It was very disappointing as a proper storm might have made it feel less oppressive.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good evenooning all. My enforced self isolation is going fine.

JoesDad completed his isolation at midnight on Saturday, so he went shopping on Sunday after doing a covid test to make sure he really was safe. I get let out at midnight on Wednesday. We both did covid tests again today and they’re still clear so hopefully we will be OK.

I have created a lot of listings on eBay. Sat at a computer in our spare bedroom, one of the coolest rooms in the house, is about as energetic as I could handle in the heat and humidity.

A thunderstorm skirted round our town to the East yesterday… and today one passed across to the North. It was very disappointing as a proper storm might have made it feel less oppressive.
Our news said today that all travel to the UK is restricted except for essential stuff. Plus South Africa is going thru heck too. It specifically mentioned Johannesburg? A lot of looting and the hospitals are not doing well because of so many COVID-19 cases. Im sure the both of you are probably fine. You're vaccinated and you've both been in the same house with a victim of the virus. What you sellin ???

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, still staying cool although I have to go out to buy some bags of ready mix concrete which I think I'll do sooner rather than later before the temps rise even further.
Hope everyone has a good Weds and I'll see you later.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've just realised it's 7 years ago this week that Lola came home with me as a 'temporary' measure?.
I was only supposed to keep him a week or so until I could deliver him to my sister in Leics! Then about the same time they found out that her hubby had prostate cancer, so she decided it was bad timiing to take on a high maintenance tort . Panic stations!!! o_O

I suddenly had a large tort I had never wanted and knew nothing about looking after especially since he is missing a foot. I tried to find a good home for him at a zoo or animal park etc or via UK tort sites, but I wasn't happy just off loading him to someone I didn't know.

I made every possible mistake there is to make at first but thankfully 7 years tomorrow is when I joined TFO to find out what to feed him etc while he was in my care.Tom later put me in touch with a UK leopard keeper who over the next few weeks helped me make the decision to keep him.

Seven years and hundreds of pounds later on he's still here - I haven't killed him and he completely changed my life - not always in good ways because my life revolves around him, but he's here to stay and makes me smile everyday. I know much more about torts now than I ever imagined I would need to know and still learn something new most days.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I've just realised it's 7 years ago this week that Lola came home with me as a 'temporary' measure?.
I was only supposed to keep him a week or so until I could deliver him to my sister in Leics! Then about the same time they found out that her hubby had prostate cancer, so she decided it was bad timiing to take on a high maintenance tort . Panic stations!!! o_O

I suddenly had a large tort I had never wanted and knew nothing about looking after especially since he is missing a foot. I tried to find a good home for him at a zoo or animal park etc or via UK tort sites, but I wasn't happy just off loading him to someone I didn't know.

I made every possible mistake there is to make at first but thankfully 7 years tomorrow is when I joined TFO to find out what to feed him etc while he was in my care.Tom later put me in touch with a UK leopard keeper who over the next few weeks helped me make the decision to keep him.

Seven years and hundreds of pounds later on he's still here - I haven't killed him and he completely changed my life - not always in good ways because my life revolves around him, but he's here to stay and makes me smile everyday. I know much more about torts now than I ever imagined I would need to know and still learn something new most days.
Nice post. ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

That's a beautiful story. ? I don't think anyone can totally prepare for tortoise love anyway until it strikes you ?. It's amazing what it does to a person's life. Happy anniversary tomorrow ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Well now I need to see pictures of this gorgeous creature!! ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all. It's Friday again!
I know that because our bins are emptied, otherwise I tend to lose track of the days and have to check the day on my PC.

It's still hot but this is last day of our heatwave so temps should become far more comfortable from tomorrow and we'll have some much needed rain! ? Hopefully not too much all at once!

I'm off out on a quest to buy some high strength concrete which seems to be almost impossible to get in all the DIY and local builders yards at the moment. The place I went to the other day who emailed me to say they had it in stock, actually never stock it anytime, so that was a wild goose chase! Anyway I've found a place further afield but they assure me they do have it. So I'll see you later.
Have a good day!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all. It's Friday again!
I know that because our bins are emptied, otherwise I tend to lose track of the days and have to check the day on my PC.

It's still hot but this is last day of our heatwave so temps should become far more comfortable from tomorrow and we'll have some much needed rain! ? Hopefully not too much all at once!

I'm off out on a quest to buy some high strength concrete which seems to be almost impossible to get in all the DIY and local builders yards at the moment. The place I went to the other day who emailed me to say they had it in stock, actually never stock it anytime, so that was a wild goose chase! Anyway I've found a place further afield but they assure me they do have it. So I'll see you later.
Have a good day!
Joe keeps my days straightened out he's such a creature of habit. He has his agenda ? and don't try to stop him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's Friday ? and another week that went to fast. Joe brought me home something from his adult program that he attends. He does gardening there and he brought me home a squash. I don't know what kind it is so I don't know how to use it. It's also small 4" or so.IMG_20210723_142230519.jpg