COLD DARK ROOM

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
It's going up drastically here also because of the delta varient. I actually don't have anything against vaccines. I've had the childhood vaccines such as polio, small pox, etc. But I've also had some really bad reactions to medications and had to live with the consequences because my doctor would say that's too rare or just blame me. Then not do anything to help me. I've actually been looking into the Johnson and Johnson because it's an old style vaccine not RNA. But until I'm sure I have a doctor that won't do that to me again I watch everything they give me. With COVID-19 going on my normal medical care is catch as catch can too so we'll see.
You are smart. You've already had COVID. They don't vaccinate you for polio after you've had polio.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's interesting about the Rosemary bush. Is it like the herb used for cooking? What a lovely day ? with YOUR birds.?
Yes, it’s the herb rosemary. I planted it at the front where it gets a lot of heat and direct sun and it loves it. Like lavender, it gets leggy unless clipped regularly. It flowers very early too. We often have flowers on it late December and it will flower through to March/April. Bees love it. So do my neighbours; the bush is plenty large enough for them to help themselves when they want some. ?

The Bay is also the herb…I use the bay leaves when cooking. I planted it in my last house 30 years ago and then took chttings when we moved here on 1999. It’s now over 6ft high and about 4ft wide. Again it responds well to being clipped.

I have a small electric shears thanks goodness; it would be too big a job to do by hand.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are smart. You've already had COVID. They don't vaccinate you for polio after you've had polio.
The difference is that once you have had poliio you can’t catch it again. The mutations in covid are like flu. Catching it doesn’t provide immunity for life.

Even those vaccinated can catch covid, but it is less likely to put you in hospital if you have been vaccinated. Think of the covid shot as being like having a flu shot not like having a polio shot.

And the difference between flu and covid is severity. I know too many people badly affected by covid and it’s aftermath. A friend of my daughter’s, a nurse who we have known since she was 2, went down with it last Christmas and still isn’t fit to return to work full time. She had had the first (Pfizer) dose of vaccine, but not the second at the time.

Another friend has had both vaccines and went down with Covid a month ago. He still isn’t back at work, but at least he didn’t end up in hospital like his unvaccinated wife who is still there.

None of these 3 had pre-existing health conditions that might have made them susceptible to a bad reaction to Covid.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Please look into the Johnson and Johnson vaccine!!!!! I heard it may cause blood clots! ❤️
There was that issue with our jabs but the incidence was so low compared to the millions that had it successfully that while it was investigated it didn't affect the roll out. As with all meds there may be a small percentage of people who suffer side effects in different ways. I only had a day of mild flu like symptons after my first jab- nothing at all after the second, my nephew had a sore arm for a few days.
I could still get covid but hopefully because of the jabs. I won't end up hopsitalised being ventialted.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's already hot here but my electric fan is keeping the air circuated and cool in the house.
Lola is out and about soaking up some rays before it gets too hot.
I've no plans other than to go looking for some juicy weeds for him.
Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Looking back at earth history, with the ice ages, etc. it has always been my perception that "climate change" happened gradually, not all at once like it seems to be happening with today's earth.
Maybe the final stages were quicker ? Problem is the earth wasn't as full then, so maybe that has something to do with it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all, it's already hot here but my electric fan is keeping the air circuated and cool in the house.
Lola is out and about soaking up some rays before it gets too hot.
I've no plans other than to go looking for some juicy weeds for him.
Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
Hope you have a good Saturday as well. I am cleaning house and getting shopping done. And then veggietating as much as I can before the new week starts again. Can you guys tell how much I like my weekends? Knowing my luck and because I am looking forward to my retirement I will probably peg when I go on retirement. ???

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I went from 1 to 25 birds. Lucky for me the local mom and pop pet shop bought the fledglings from me. Now I only have 10 and no breeding going on...oh...parakeets or budgies to your side of the pond lol
View attachment 329160
These are the parents. Daddy is a harlequin, Mamma is solid yellow, most of the babies were yellow with black splotches on the wings. Some were yellow and green
View attachment 329161
Love those. My neighbor breeds them and has some stunning colors.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That's what I have too. Yours look a little different but only because mine have more white, stripes and my boys have an orange patch on their cheeks. Yours are going to get mad because their favorite thing to do is make babies ?. And take care of them. But really I don't think it's all that good for them to breed out of control either. It depends on the type of cage too. If they are in an outside cage it's a real plus. They do stop at some point but because they are always looking for love they inbreed. Mine do their housekeeping while I'm cleaning their cage. It's funny. I use newspaper on the floor and they tear strips and put it in their little nests that I wove for them. While I'm cleaning, little strips of used newspaper are floating to the floor. So it takes a while to clean up ? I only have 3 left. They are possibly 12 years old. I'm not going to add any younger ones until these little guys pass. They look like grandpas and don't need all that.
Oh sweet. No mine fly around me all the time. When they eventually came out of their nests they had black beaks and legs as they mature it slowly turns orange. They are in a 3m outside cage so lots of room. I throw dried grass in for them and they love making their own little nests. They weren't happy with mine. Picky little things. ? The females only have the striped tail but my males have either black and white dots on their wings and there is one which has brown mixed in with the black and white dots.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It’s been warm here too. I did a lot of gardening today. My very large rosemary bush and even larger bay bush have been tamed again; the former isn’t allowed above the level of the lounge windowsill and the latter is allowed just above the (6’) fence. We have had so much rain that both were well overgrown. I have completely filled the garden waste wheelie bin with todays’ pruning.

As the wetsher was so warm, I took the opportunity to clean and disinfect all the bird feeders, my hedgehog feed station and the waterers. It’s good to be ablle to egt them clean and dry so quickl.

We have lots of baby birds in the garden all of a sudden.Blackbirds, robins, t!ts, nuthatches and a juvenile woodpecker accompanied by Mum :)
It is nice to be busy in the garden. I love my garden.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Is that your daughter? Your son really does not look too happy holding that fish!
Yes mam, that’s Ally. She has been my daughter since she was 4 yrs old. She’s 14 now ?.. Jayden was really excited about that fish but it was a learning experience for him on holding it all by himself. It was a Gafttop just over the legal limit for keeping:)

my husband surprised us and came along for a couple days also.. he caught a pretty big gar last night.. it was quite an ordeal since he was fishing off the deck a good 20ft above the water ?. It was exciting for all of us though and we were actually able to bring it in.. took some pictures and released it.9FB3F495-993A-4E80-A515-A1A0EEB0B893.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes mam, that’s Ally. She has been my daughter since she was 4 yrs old. She’s 14 now ?.. Jayden was really excited about that fish but it was a learning experience for him on holding it all by himself. It was a Gafttop just over the legal limit for keeping:)

my husband surprised us and came along for a couple days also.. he caught a pretty big gar last night.. it was quite an ordeal since he was fishing off the deck a good 20ft above the water ?. It was exciting for all of us though and we were actually able to bring it in.. took some pictures and released it.View attachment 329219
The heck with fish...the area for Texas is really pretty. When I was truckin I hit 4 deer in my career, all of them in Texas. I will admit to driving mostly at night...as it takes soooo long to drive anywhere in Texass. I did enjoy going S on the 285 in the day tho and seeing all the ho houses and some had girls in bikini and thong bottoms, without tops laying on car hoods getting sun...my favorite delivery was to McAllen...truck stop in Edinburg...