COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thank you all! Hubby took me out to eat and then we went some friend to the boats..(gambling) ! Followed with a local pub owned by friends for a game pool… I’m cheap… so I returned home with some $$$ to spare.. chicken and Tater’s in the crock pot!
Belated birthday wishes Heather, sounds like a very chilled day.
Glad you had a good day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Finally. Year after year after year, the deer stroll through our gardens at the right time and nip all the flower buds & leaves. It’s been many years since we enjoyed our Lilies. The deer are about, but luckily other food sources.

ive installed a few motion detector LED lights that are VERY bright near the garden beds. Who knows, they might have worked.

The Lilly
View attachment 327432
They are beautiful.
I'm surprised the deer eat lillies - isn't the pollen poisonous?
I kniw the ones you buy for the house come with a warning about the pollen and pets.
Maybe it's just certain species.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evening/afternoon all.
We've had a couple of grey days with a few light showers but nothing much.
I think more rain is expected on Sunday, and it looks like Linda's area in the south east of the UK is in for quite a drenching which I'm sure they'll be pleased about.
My cat sprinkler has arrived and works so I've been fine tuning that and I'll be leaving a camera out tonight to see how the cats react to it. I'm hoping to see them make a quick exit from my garden. ?
Hope you're having a good Friday - the weeks seem to fly by since I retired.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think more rain is expected on Sunday, and it looks like Linda's area in the south east of the UK is in for quite a drenching which I'm sure they'll be pleased about.
My cat sprinkler has arrived and works so I've been fine tuning that and I'll be leaving a camera out tonight to see how the cats react to it. I'm hoping to see them make a quick exit from my garden. ?
Yes the weeks fly by when you retire. I hate that. I want time to slow down to an enjoyable pace. Instead I'm busier than ever.?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
That’s absolutely stunning!!! Lillies are my favorite… Calla’s, stargazers, etc.. I have an Asiatic that came back this year after the big freeze.. I had forgotten that it was out there and was going to plant something in the pot this year. When I emptied the old soil, I found the bulb.. I couldn’t remember what it was but I could tell it still had life so I replanted it in a pig planter ( of all things) in Torettos garden… it’s now a beautiful splash of flame..

Show me!!
Show meee!!!!
Show meeee!!!!!!
(Said like a little kid jumping up and down).
?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Omg OMG OMG... I just saw a hummingbird in my front yard! I think it might be the scent from the crabapple tree that's drawing it. It happened so quickly I couldn't get a picture. It was checking out one of my windchimes. I've got to do something quickly because I've never seen them in the front yard before.????? I'm ecstatic!

Go put your phone camera on the window sill and press record for awhile!!!
Quick!!!
Those little boogers are fast!
I have a little brown bird that has made a nest in my only red bird house.
When he comes by me and sits on the fence....
THIS LITTLE BIRD SAYS SOOOOO MANY THINGS TO ME!!!!???
It’s like a whole phrase!?
I wonder if he is yelling at me to go away for fear of his house?
I would LOVE to send you all a video
(If I can get one)
So you could tell me what kind of bird this is!!!
He is very small!
Light brown
And I think yells in Russian!?
(At least that’s what it sounds like..) ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Go put your phone camera on the window sill and press record for awhile!!!
Quick!!!
Those little boogers are fast!
I have a little brown bird that has made a nest in my only red bird house.
When he comes by me and sits on the fence....
THIS LITTLE BIRD SAYS SOOOOO MANY THINGS TO ME!!!!???
It’s like a whole phrase!?
I wonder if he is yelling at me to go away for fear of his house?
I would LOVE to send you all a video
(If I can get one)
So you could tell me what kind of bird this is!!!
He is very small!
Light brown
And I think yells in Russian!?
(At least that’s what it sounds like..) ?
I'm probably going to have to put a feeder out tomorrow. They won't care if I get pictures of them like other birds do. The scent is from all the little crabapples that have fallen and are half way getting soft and fermented. The tree is still loaded with apples. This summer is promising to be fun ? even people love them. They love them even after they find out the apples are crab apples.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So does the sprinkler turn on when it detects slinky movements? My cats start moving when they see a spray bottle come out, so I'll be interested in how a cat sprinkler works.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a small Brown Turkey fig tree out front and it was being taken over by some thistle plants. So yesterday I took the clippers over to cut the thistle back but had to stop after cutting some back.Picture 004.jpgI was about to disturb one of the wild young eastern box turtles that live here. Whether this is male or female it's going to be a very colorful turtle when it grows up.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
What’s a day Lilly?

Attachments

• C6C125D0-4BE2-474B-A862-2B0CD31CA004.png
    C6C125D0-4BE2-474B-A862-2B0CD31CA004.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 2615317E-2FC3-4706-8410-00D161A9215E.png
    2615317E-2FC3-4706-8410-00D161A9215E.png
    188 KB · Views: 2
  • 94235256-D6D0-475A-ABB4-17AA2AF4BA37.png
    94235256-D6D0-475A-ABB4-17AA2AF4BA37.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have a small Brown Turkey fig tree out front and it was being taken over by some thistle plants. So yesterday I took the clippers over to cut the thistle back but had to stop after cutting some back.View attachment 327472I was about to disturb one of the wild young eastern box turtles that live here. Whether this is male or female it's going to be a very colorful turtle when it grows up.

What a beautiful pattern on his shell!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So does the sprinkler turn on when it detects slinky movements? My cats start moving when they see a spray bottle come out, so I'll be interested in how a cat sprinkler works.
Any motion at all will set it off, people, animals, birds, plant movement when it's windy etc so you have to be careful where you position it but I'm very pleased to say it works a treat.
The cat strolled into my garden about 01.30 like he owns the place, and was about to position himself near the frog pond when 'whoosh' a jet of water sprang in his direction and he left much faster than he arrived.:)
The camera was only triggered once so I don't think he came back.
A few nights of that and he should soon get the message.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.
It's a grey, dull day today but that's fine by me.
My sister had an operation to remove a spur of bone on her ankle yetserday but she's home so I'll pop in to visit her later. I have a few little chores to do before I go so I'd better get on with them.
Have a good Saturday and TTFN

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Any motion at all will set it off, people, animals, birds, plant movement when it's windy etc so you have to be careful where you position it but I'm very pleased to say it works a treat.
The cat strolled into my garden about 01.30 like he owns the place, and was about to position himself near the frog pond when 'whoosh' a jet of water sprang in his direction and he left much faster than he arrived.:)
The camera was only triggered once so I don't think he came back.
A few nights of that and he should soon get the message.
I think I have to buy one & gift it to Maggie if you"re successful.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So the little Redfoot (Red) continues trying to escape. I can't take pictures without a camera...but this little tortoise is determined to leave, yesterday he was on his back 4 times in 15 minutes and I will guarantee I am freakin way tired of going out to check on him. He has solid 4 foot fence on 3 sides and my house on the 4th. He ain't getting out. He eats anything I give him, but he simply is not happy. Me neither...he's a pain in my a**. I wish you could see the less than a pound Red sinking to the bottom of the pond... evidently he can't swim. But Mary Knobbins at 30 pounds does not sink and she swims and seems to enjoy it. HA!
My wild flowers are blooming, the ROS are leafed out and are starting to form buds. Gonna bloom soon. The Morning Glories in their new spots are blooming but not happy. The grape vines are growing and Mary has eaten grape leaves for 2 days now, very happy. Things here are fine and all the animals are loving the sun.
Got a male T. ornata ornata, over grown beak and nails...the keeper is moving to Alaska and brought him to the pet store I deal with and I will pick 'him' up in a couple of hours. he's 15 yrs old. I have 5 female ornata, don't want a male...so things in Corvallis are happening...I'm going to a Memorial today for my friend who was run over and killed by a garbage truck. I hate those things and mostly don't go...but Gene was my friend.