COLD DARK ROOM

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
My mother in law and one of her filipina friends just killed a chicken for dinner. For some reason it bothered me a little. I have cleaned fish, dressed out small game and deer. That doesn't bother me but for some reason that poor and innocent chicken did.
I must be getting soft as I age.??
No pics, didn't think you all wouldn't have appreciated that.?
My grandmother would pick one up & wring it's neck...I prefer my chicken pre-cut up & these days I can only stomach chix breast meat. I'm with you Ray...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My mother in law and one of her filipina friends just killed a chicken for dinner. For some reason it bothered me a little. I have cleaned fish, dressed out small game and deer. That doesn't bother me but for some reason that poor and innocent chicken did.
I must be getting soft as I age.??
No pics, didn't think you all wouldn't have appreciated that.?
Years ago when I was a kid I spent a few weeks each summer in Portland, Oregon, visiting my grandmother and grandfather. They had a basement and Grampa would take the chickens to the basement and chop their heads off with an axe. I can still see those chicken bodies running around the basement with no heads.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Quite showery here today but warmer than it has been.
Saw my sister and her hubby yesterday for the first time since our brother's funeral last June.
They are down from Leicester visiting their son and his wife in Cardiff, so we met up for walk.
Hopefully, if the Indian variant of covid doesn't mess things up for the UK, I should be seeing a lot more of them this summer.
Time for a trip to the shops now so I'll see you later.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning/afternoon all.
Quite showery here today but warmer than it has been.
Saw my sister and her hubby yesterday for the first time since our brother's funeral last June.
They are down from Leicester visiting their son and his wife in Cardiff, so we met up for walk.
Hopefully, if the Indian variant of covid doesn't mess things up for the UK, I should be seeing a lot more of them this summer.
Time for a trip to the shops now so I'll see you later.
TTFN

Happy Saturday.....darn “strains” are rebounding....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We are home. And I have been out to check my bees.

My Red Mason bee nest box has started being used.
0A7DCEF5-D034-4175-A8E5-0CEB53394D8F.jpeg

There were bees in a huddle in the viewing drawer for the night.
F0F5FB89-36D6-4DDE-9C7D-54ADDF006B9F.jpeg

And egg cells. ason bees line the cell with mud, then bring in pollen to feed the larva and lay an egg in it. Then they leave a gap for the larva to grow in and seal it off with more mud.
42D27C14-2F41-44F8-8E39-EA4FBB2BE036.jpeg

These are solitary bees, so the female will lay her eggs and then die. The larva will form a cocoon and hatch next year for the cycle to repeat.

Right at the back, just to the left of the screw, there’s a tiny Blue Mason bee in for the night. They’re solitary too.
155F4ED3-C502-4D55-B1BC-B4702B45A13D.jpeg

Solitary bees are actually more important for crop pollination than honey bees, but they’re frequently forgotten about.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

View attachment 325201

View attachment 325203

And egg cells. ason bees line the cell with mud, then bring in pollen to feed the larva and lay an egg in it. Then they leave a gap for the larva to grow in and seal it off with more mud.
View attachment 325202

These are solitary bees, so the female will lay her eggs and then die. The larva will form a cocoon and hatch next year for the cycle to repeat.

Right at the back, just to the left of the screw, there’s a tiny Blue Mason bee in for the night. They’re solitary too.
View attachment 325204

Solitary bees are actually more important for crop pollination than honey bees, but they’re frequently forgotten about.

No bees in my solitary bee house. I’ll have to improve on the amenities for next years housing unit.

great pix...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Whew.....another day of This Old House. Just finished installing a few newly painted cabinet doors, pruned the shrubbery. But....spent a fair amount of time interpreting Chinese language (English) instructions on the installation of the new dining room hanging light fixture. Got it installed - looks great. Wifey happy, I’m happy that wifey is happy.

Im home to put a second coat of “Butcher Block” finish on the counter that I sanded and stained yesterday. The stain “Gunstock” really provides a nice new look to the countertop.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No bees in my solitary bee house. I’ll have to improve on the amenities for next years housing unit.

great pix...
Don’t be put off. Apart from the viewing drawer there is no sign of life. What I found lst year was that a lot of nesting activity happens before you can see anything.

Do mke sure your housing is in a sunny spot. They want it south to south east facing ideally and in the sunshine. Not that we have had much sunshine recentl, but when the sun is out it shines on the box

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

View attachment 325201

View attachment 325203

View attachment 325202

View attachment 325204

Welcome home!
It's obviously good to bee back!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's 23.05 here and Lola is still in and out of his hide!
I've checked it to make sure there's nothing in there disturbing him but nothing unusual.
He's had some more food and it's about time he was in bed now .
Maybe he wants a story!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been waiting and waiting on a call from the vet for the results of the bomb Sapphire left them. So today I called and it was negative ? I'm really glad but was informed finally that they don't call unless it's positive.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been waiting and waiting on a call from the vet for the results of the bomb Sapphire left them. So today I called and it was negative ? I'm really glad but was informed finally that they don't call unless it's positive.
Here's what I think of that ???

Jan A

Boulder, CO
1 what I think of that ???
Hate being in that position that they don't call, email or text back that every thing is OK after YOU spent all that money!! For the 1st time, I got a text message that my mammogram was OK the same day I took it.

In this day where you're not allowed to even enter the facility during a vet exam, this is just BAD customer service.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hate being in that position that they don't call, email or text back that every thing is OK after YOU spent all that money!! For the 1st time, I got a text message that my mammogram was OK the same day I took it.

In this day where you're not allowed to even enter the facility during a vet exam, this is just BAD customer service.
My opinion too. Sapphire's vet is only there now and then, but a call from the receptionist would have been nice. I called last Saturday too and they could have told me that. But she is the only reptile vet around so I guess beggars can't be choosers. I just hope I don't need one for another 14 years ?? My other vet is for exotics but doesn't do a tortoise. They always call and tell me about Dilly so I guess I got spoiled ? I'm just really glad though that, even though my yard is full of snails, Sapphire doesn't have parasites. That really worried me along with his beak trim. Those worries are off my shoulders.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Eww and yea I forgot until now, next month I get flattened like a pancake for mine.?yuk!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good Sunday morning/afternoon fellow CDRers
It's cold and wet here with the sun trying to peep out from the clouds but losing the battle.
Hope you all have a good day,
I'm meeting up with my sister again before they head back to Leicester so I'd better get going.
TTFN

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all. We have had heavy rain all day and it doesn’t look like ending any time soon.

Last night I scooped up another hedgehog with a leg injury and a couple of ticks and that one is safely at the rescue. This is the third :( The first one was put to sleep last week after it became clear that he wasn’t going to recover sufficiently to be released. The second had a broken back and was also put to sleep.

I don’t know the prognosis for this one. Send healing vibes because that’s what it needs.

I wish I knew where they were getting injured. It isn’t in my garden :( I think I shall be putting notes through neighbours doors asking them to check for hedgehog hazards.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I know that I recounted to you all that I refinished the old butcher block countertop as part of our house rehab project. Sanded out all the stains, knife marks & one nasty pot burn. All sanded through a few sizes of sandpaper. Wiped clean of dust with Denatured Alcohol. Applied a nice Gunstock stain that left a nice rich color. BUT, the interesting thing is that I finished up with two coats of Watco Butcherblock finish - this is finish from a can that I first used 15 years ago when we lived there. The stain had been outside in our old shed for 15 years - in perfect condition to use. We found the old rusty can when cleaning up.

So, if you need some foodsafe finish for your cutting boards I can recommend the Watco brand. ✅

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all. Facebook reminded me of this event from 2016… actually it happened pretty regularly. Joe’s problem -solving skills were few ?

“IQ Test

Joe tackles his arch-enemy the lawn mower, but fails repeatedly to reach it. He is completely oblivious to the missing fence in the foreground”
B68F10C9-CB90-42C0-8058-808C9068BB0C.jpeg