COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning everyone,
Will start to send some pics of the fishing trip. To start off, when we got to the dock. While talking to Rose on the phone. She kept asking for pics of the boat. Giving me the impression that she was excited to see the boat. In reality I know she wanted to see the boat for my safety.
I sent her this pic first and told her the boat had a leak and that's why it was listing. Also they were patching the hole right now.
imagejpeg_0(13).jpg
After a little freak out from her. I sent the pics of the boat we were supposed to go on.

20210426_122354.jpg
When the captain got there. He said the boat needed work on it. So we would use there other boat.
20210426_133843.jpg
Though it was older, it actually was a better boat for me with my condition.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Very strong gusty winds here today with squally showers, but temps are up to about 57F- highest they've been for a while. Rest of week averaging 55F with more showers.
Lola wandered outside for some clover grazing and made me smile.
He spotted the hedgehog house under a bush and was pretty confused because it looks like a smaller version of his hide (same colour wood and door on right) He lay and looked at it for a while as if trying to figure out what had happened and then tried to get in through the considerably smaller door.:D
Daft tortoise!!!
Hope you all have a good Monday!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning everyone,
Will start to send some pics of the fishing trip. To start off, when we got to the dock. While talking to Rose on the phone. She kept asking for pics of the boat. Giving me the impression that she was excited to see the boat. In reality I know she wanted to see the boat for my safety.
I sent her this pic first and told her the boat had a leak and that's why it was listing. Also they were patching the hole right now.
View attachment 324834
After a little freak out from her. I sent the pics of the boat we were supposed to go on.

View attachment 324837
When the captain got there. He said the boat needed work on it. So we would use there other boat.
View attachment 324839
Poor Rose I bet she was frantic thinking you were off out to sea on a leaky boat!:D
Less steps for you to worry about the one you eventually went on so probably more comfortable.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our banana tree is fighting the wind & recent bout of cold weather, but putting up leaves (and the one flower stalk). Yesterday, I trimmed a good handful, maybe 5, of one foot or more straggly leaves & gave them all to Sully. This morning when I checked, not one shred of anything left in sight.

Anyone with a Sully....get them eating banana leaves!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all. We had a glorious sunny morning here and after yesterday’s exertion went for a shorter walk, just over 3 miles, today.

A local beauty spot is Aysgarth Falls - a series of waterfalls on the river Ure. The heavy rains have washed peat into the water staining it yellow. We did a circular route so we could see all of them and it took us through some lovely ancient woodland that had loads of bluebells and wild garlic in flower.
EB202642-4293-421F-B39C-A447B987C865.jpeg9CCB9629-0AFE-4A05-AFBD-1BBFB660E62F.jpeg159C0EE9-A35F-4EB1-8338-6960E9B83832.jpegE95B428E-8E30-48EE-9446-827A01F13667.jpeg

Bolton Castle
4F7C95F4-AC3C-47FB-BE94-EF8FD10CCF60.jpeg15D146F3-E886-4EDD-BB96-A1FBA8E5B6C5.jpeg

On our way back to base we stopped in Bainbridge to visit the butcher. The shop is next to a bridge with yet more waterfalls one side and a lovely view the other.
40C92EC9-1AB3-471C-A880-6A7AE7BA39F0.jpeg356FD12D-48FF-4772-826C-446C21876651.jpeg
We bought some really tasty homemade pork pies for lunch, but hit a snag because the butcher only takes cash and between us we had only £5. This was perfectly OK with the butcher; he wrote us a ticket and told us to pay when we next went past… we can’t actually go anywhere without passing that shop so we accepted the ticket! We will need more cash though to buy more of those pies!

We ate lunch outside on the patio in the sun. Then it got dark and we have had alternate thunderstorms and bright spells ever since.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very strong gusty winds here today with squally showers, but temps are up to about 57F- highest they've been for a while. Rest of week averaging 55F with more showers.
He spotted the hedgehog house under a bush and was pretty confused because it looks like a smaller version of his hide (same colour wood and door on right) He lay and looked at it for a while as if trying to figure out what had happened and then tried to get in through the considerably smaller door.:D
Daft tortoise!!!
At least you don’t have a sulcata. That would have decided it was going to fit through the door whatever! ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning everyone,
View attachment 324834

View attachment 324837
View attachment 324839

Still a good looking boat. In total, you guys were out for how many days? You have to send me the info on the charter operation. Id love to catch a few. Construction guy gave me a nice rod & some hot hitting lures yesterday. I’m gonna try catching some Rock Bass.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Daft tortoise!!!
That's so funny ?. Sapphire's hide is wood too and when I tried to make it more decorated he wouldn't go in. I did cover the sides of his reptile carrier for his vet visit with card stock that looked like wood though. I think between that and the hard pillow I made him (so he wouldn't slide around) he wasn't quite as stressed.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Poor Rose I bet she was frantic thinking you were off out to sea on a leaky boat!:D
Less steps for you to worry about the one you eventually went on so probably more comfortable.
Yes about the steps. Plus there was a big table with u-shaped wide bench seating around 3 sides. So instead of trying to get down 8 stairs to the bunks. I slept on one side of the bench seat. Which was plenty long for me to stretch out. The captain slept on the other side of the U. He slept there so he was close to the ship to shore radio. Incase of a other bosts May Day or if we got into sudden trouble. The only requirement from the captain. Was that I wore my CPAP.? No snoring allowed!?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Still a good looking boat. In total, you guys were out for how many days? You have to send me the info on the charter operation. Id love to catch a few. Construction guy gave me a nice rod & some hot hitting lures yesterday. I’m gonna try catching some Rock Bass.
We left the dock at 2 pm Monday. Got to our first fishing grounds around 7:30 pm. Fished till I think 2 or 3 am. Tues fished all day. We would get a few breaks when we would move to a different spot. Then around midnight or so. We made a 3 hr run so we would be in international waters. So we could keep the groupers. So up early weds morning and fished till about noon. Then headed back to the docks. I will get the info for you.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Happy Mother’s Day to all you Mums out there. An appropriate image from today ?
View attachment 324794

Luckily we wore wellies for our 5.5 mile walk today. The heavy rain yesterday meant we had to ford this stream.
View attachment 324795

Luckily there was a footbridge to the left of this ford… it was too deep for wellies!
View attachment 324796

Lots of lambs today - another Mother’s Day photo ?
View attachment 324797

We along the far side of this lake then climbed the hill and returned home across the top of the moor.
View attachment 324798View attachment 324799

A rather handsome Common Toad that we moved off the footpath
View attachment 324800
Wellington boots. Had to look that one up ;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The CDR language lessons continue :D We end up learning words from other countries and realising what words we use without thinking aren’t recognised by those outside our own country :D
I'll just throw the Welsh for Wellington boots - esgidiau welington -into the language mix:)
or if you prefer esgidiau glaw (glaw = rain)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The CDR language lessons continue :D We end up learning words from other countries and realising what words we use without thinking aren’t recognised by those outside our own country :D
Remember the beef suet for baking well... I found it in a specialty jar on clearance ?at krogers. I wouldn't have known what I was looking at. ?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I didnʻt know about that one, my husband does the cooking so he might know. Whenever I volunteer to cook, I get a resounding "NO!" in chorus. Those darned ingrates survived my cooking for 10 years before they decided dad is a better cook than I am. Hmph ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes about the steps. Plus there was a big table with u-shaped wide bench seating around 3 sides. So instead of trying to get down 8 stairs to the bunks. I slept on one side of the bench seat. Which was plenty long for me to stretch out. The captain slept on the other side of the U. He slept there so he was close to the ship to shore radio. Incase of a other bosts May Day or if we got into sudden trouble. The only requirement from the captain. Was that I wore my CPAP.? No snoring allowed!?
Cool. So you slid by ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didnʻt know about that one, my husband does the cooking so he might know. Whenever I volunteer to cook, I get a resounding "NO!" in chorus. Those darned ingrates survived my cooking for 10 years before they decided dad is a better cook than I am. Hmph ?
Coooul.?