COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray have you ever heard of a law that stops people keeping a sulcata in their yard in Florida?
I've just tagged you in a post from someone whose neighbours have reported them for having a 10 inch sully and they think they'll have to rehome.
I just read the post. Obviously they live in a gated HOA community. When my dad past everyone said move into your dad's house. I said no way! I am not going to let somebody dictate to me what color I can paint my door. ?
Plus I have to pay yearly fee to live by there rules.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Now I have to find out what adobo is ?
When Opo is being a brat. Rose jokingly threatens him that she is going to make Adobe with him. Use a good vinegar not the distilled vinegar I grew up with. The first time Rose smelled that vinegar. She thought it was bad. I never knew there was a difference in vinegars but there is.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
When Opo is being a brat. Rose jokingly threatens him that she is going to make Adobe with him. Use a good vinegar not the distilled vinegar I grew up with. The first time Rose smelled that vinegar. She thought it was bad. I never knew there was a difference in vinegars but there is.
Tortoise adobo? Hmmmm ? lol, but I could really go for some pancit right now!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well...of course I had to look it up and that's what they said too. I think I would love it made with chicken thighs. Easy and simple with rice. I use the distilled white vinegar for cleaning Razberri's litter boxes.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well...of course I had to look it up and that's what they said too. I think I would love it made with chicken thighs. Easy and simple with rice. I use the distilled white vinegar for cleaning Razberri's litter boxes.?
It's even better the next day when everything has soaked up the flavors.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's even better the next day when everything has soaked up the flavors.
The recipe said not to throw it away but to use it on a rice dish with the chopped up leftover chicken... and salad or greens. This is right up my alley. It even gave advice on how to use chicken breasts if you prefer even less calories. I won't cause I want a bunch of calories. Doctors orders.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm quite shocked at hearing about what HOAs can make people do with their own properties. I'm all in favour of people being considerate to their neighbours, but what paint and planters you can have and how you dry your washing etc is way over the top!?
There may be similar schemes in posh housing estates in the UK but none that I've heard of - I'm not posh enough!?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Tomorrow Sapphire has his first vet visit. It's been waking me up every night. It'll be curbside because of the pandemic. I know not to allow vitamin shots but not sure about other red flags. I also have to allow a tech to take my little one that hasn't been out of my oversight for 14 years. He does need a beak trim and a fecal check for gp. We'll see. I'm actually looking forward to it but still scared about the vet.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
The recipe said not to throw it away but to use it on a rice dish with the chopped up leftover chicken... and salad or greens. This is right up my alley. It even gave advice on how to use chicken breasts if you prefer even less calories. I won't cause I want a bunch of calories. Doctors orders.
You're on the right diet, Cathie G.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Tomorrow Sapphire has his first vet visit. It's been waking me up every night. It'll be curbside because of the pandemic. I know not to allow vitamin shots but not sure about other red flags. I also have to allow a tech to take my little one that hasn't been out of my oversight for 14 years. He does need a beak trim and a fecal check for gp. We'll see. I'm actually looking forward to it but still scared about the vet.

Why the vet visit?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I'm no fan of vets...my current vets have been good to two of my babies, but now I have to find a new vet since we're almost done moving. I do really, really, really hate the COVID rules for vets, dentists, etc. I'd put on 5 masks to go in with my cat for a vet visit. Sending good vibes your way.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Why the vet visit?
He needs a beak trim and has. He started growing a beak the first year I got him. I didn't like what I was seeing but didn't know what was happening to him until I found TFO. He eats good but this really needs done. I want a fecal check because my yard is full of slugs or snails (whatever you want to call them) just because. So this is really good if the vet is. I'm too frightened to try a beak trim myself. I don't see really good and don't know how to handle his jaw. So we'll see.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is stressful for you and the tort but as long as they know he's just there for a beak trim they shouldn't do anything you don't agree to and if he's not ill he won't need any shots.
If they are experienced with torts they'll know ways to get him to hold his head out for a beak trim without needing sedation. Securely holding the tort and tipping slightly forward is one way to make his head come out. I managed to take a sharp bit off Lola's beak with an electric nail filer (like a grindstone) holding him like that without any problem.
You'll be taking the poop sample with you so that bit is easy. If he has parasites I don't know how they treat that - hopefully one of the CDR gang can tell you about that.
Try not to worry - but I know you will.
All we can do is trust the vets to listen to us and do the right thing.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It is stressful for you and the tort but as long as they know he's just there for a beak trim they shouldn't do anything you don't agree to and if he's not ill he won't need any shots.
If they are experienced with torts they'll know ways to get him to hold his head out for a beak trim without needing sedation. Securely holding the tort and tipping slightly forward is one way to make his head come out. I managed to take a sharp bit off Lola's beak with an electric nail filer (like a grindstone) holding him like that without any problem.
You'll be taking the poop sample with you so that bit is easy. If he has parasites I don't know how they treat that - hopefully one of the CDR gang can tell you about that.

Agree. Just no Vitamin shots or others needed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've just been reading about all the places in the UK that have had snow today.?
North Wales, some areas of the Midlands, Northern England and Scotland had snow but it could reach further south this week. The good news is it doesn't last too long.
Night temps are down to about 32F in some areas.
The Man Utd football pitch had to be cleared of snow and hail before a big game today - not what you'd expect in May!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He needs a beak trim and has. He started growing a beak the first year I got him. I didn't like what I was seeing but didn't know what was happening to him until I found TFO. He eats good but this really needs done. I want a fecal check because my yard is full of slugs or snails (whatever you want to call them) just because. So this is really good if the vet is. I'm too frightened to try a beak trim myself. I don't see really good and don't know how to handle his jaw. So we'll see.
Maybe @Yvonne G can tell you about the treatment they might suggest for worms/parasites if it's needed.
Then at least you'll have the information and know what to expect if there's a problem.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well I'll take the poo ? if he gives me some but I will talk with them about that if he doesn't. I doubt it but it's worth checking for paracites. He wasn't the best when I got him 14 years ago. But he's doing pretty good and I don't want to go to drastic measures to get him "better". Especially since his shell looks pretty good compared to what it was.