COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Can't beat some lovely Welsh slate!
Here people used to sell the old ones as antiques. (Maybe still do) They'd paint on them and hang them on a wall as country decor. Personally, I like them on roofs and as country decor.? I think people here have stopped using slate on roofs because it would be so expensive to do.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hurried along misc chores, lawn cutting & other things so I would be all done before the impending rain & thunderstorms.

Soooooo, ?‍♂️ nothing so far...except blue skys

View attachment 323614
That's what I always loved about further south. The blue skies. So pretty.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What a gorgeous little thing, he had a lucky escape.
I hope we get some rain soon too. I worry about the wildlife. I think there may be some next Weds.
I've been topping my frog pond from my water butt because that was getting really low and also filled some large plant saucers as extra bird baths, I have a few pairs of wood pigeons and collared doves visiting regularly so thought they may appreciate a bath.
Pigeons and doves get desperate for water for bathing in dry weather. Unlike most birds they don’t have a preen gland, they produce a waxy substance that looks like dandruff which must be washed off instead.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Look who popped by again last night. We haven’t seen her since her first visit 10 nights ago. What we don’t know is how or when she left. She definitely isn’t still in the garden!
5A2903BF-63F2-488E-A007-40E9261C8C21.jpeg
Mrs Hedgehog slept under the shed yesterday. This is her getting up early to go to the feed station. She had a good feed before the males started bothering her again. The dark box top right is a hedgehog nest box, but she seems to prefer sleeping on paving slabs under the shed ??
575B193B-789A-4E0C-8251-B1FE30C24FEC.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Look who popped by again last night. We haven’t seen her since her first visit 10 nights ago. What we don’t know is how or when she left. She definitely isn’t still in the garden!
View attachment 323632
Mrs Hedgehog slept under the shed yesterday. This is her getting up early to go to the feed station. She had a good feed before the males started bothering her again. The dark box top right is a hedgehog nest box, but she seems to prefer sleeping on paving slabs under the shed ??
View attachment 323633
Very interesting reporting on your nighttime visitors.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
View attachment 323632
View attachment 323633
I checked my hedgehog house today and something had definitely been in there but there's been no sign of the hedgehog for months now. I took out the old grass as it had gone really dusty so I'll add some new just in case he comes back.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's very sunny here today and Lola has been out in the garden.
I visited the tip earlier today and had to queue for about an hour, but at least some of my rubbish has gone.
I've probably got another car load to take on another day when I'm ready to queue again.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
His office is just too far away. This new dentist is right up the street by the store.
OMG! wtf is happening to you? It is a sin not to go to Monte. He's not 3-4 miles from your house...you need to get out more otherwise you're gonna get spider-webs all over ya wrapping around you preventing you from ever getting out of that chair...just like granny. I wouldn't ever have a chair like that in my house. ugh
Last weekend I took a day trip over the Cascades and made a circle up to the Columbia around thru forest and then down I-5 and back home gone all day and ate a burger at some out of the way place. abt 400 miles...Oregon is beautiful this time of year...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes - most houses in this area are covered with flat laying “shingles” made from asphalt/tar. New roof is costing $10,000 ?

➡️ Relatively lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to install, asphalt shingles are the best choice for most houses. They come in sheets that are layered on a roof to give the illusion of more expensive single shingles, such as cedar and slate, that are installed one shingle at a time.
4 or so years ago Habitat for Humanity replaced my roof, (1400 sq ft house) for $3000...but ya gotta be poor first...lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Pigeons and doves get desperate for water for bathing in dry weather. Unlike most birds they don’t have a preen gland, they produce a waxy substance that looks like dandruff which must be washed off instead.
I'm glad to know that. I've been thinking of getting some kind of bird bath. I would love to help out the dove that hangs out in my yard.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
View attachment 323632
View attachment 323633
I was wondering about the badger.. she needs luv too!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I'm glad to know that. I've been thinking of getting some kind of bird bath. I would love to help out the dove that hangs out in my yard.

I have a few bird baths & two fountains around the garden. The back garden bath automatically refills every morning at 0800. All on a timer ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Lots of progress on The Rehab House Project today. Roofers arrived early & right on time. By the time we visited at 10:00 they had already removed all layers of shingles and tar paper. The painters had worked their way around all the rooms, patching & sanding all holes and divots. Old ‘60s style “wooden” paneling removed. Most of the wall paper gone.

The “office” that had been paneled had previously been painted some awful greenish tint.

New Roof Installation
2FC669ED-260D-4F41-A33A-3E5627B3E2D2.jpeg

The Green Office
EDD1197F-513B-464A-89B9-44FEE6D795D1.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lots of progress on The Rehab House Project today. Roofers arrived early & right on time. By the time we visited at 10:00 they had already removed all layers of shingles and tar paper. The painters had worked their way around all the rooms, patching & sanding all holes and divots. Old ‘60s style “wooden” paneling removed. Most of the wall paper gone.

The “office” that had been paneled had previously been painted some awful greenish tint.

New Roof Installation
View attachment 323670

The Green Office
View attachment 323671
Good that you have reliable workers. My sister recently did a complete refurb on her son's house and she had nothing but trouble with everyone she employed including plasterers, painters, kitchen fitters, electricians etc . They either didn't turn up or rushed jobs which affected the quality of workmanship. Most recently a carpet fitter that she held in high regard fitted a carpet for them that he knew it was the wrong colour but tried to get away with it. She's not alone - it's hard to find people here who take a pride in their work.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, very it's very sunny and getting warmer here.
I know I should be pleased but it's been too dry for too long here. :(
We've already had a hill side fire.

I'm going to carry on sorting out my old stuff today while I'm in the mood to do it otherwise I'll put it off and it will just get forgotten about again.
Have a good Friday.
See you later.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning! We are expecting a good bit of rain here today with some scattered thunderstorms throughout the night. Hopefully this does not turn into tornadoes... I’ll be working mostly from home today adding in a few errands. A trip is needed to the pharmacy to restock on allergy and sinus meds as all of my family has stuffy heads:-( Other than that, all is good here on the farm:)
wishing everyone a good day!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Our below normal temps continue to hang around with freeze warnings over the past few days. No wind today, sunny & bright.

Rehab House - The Roof has Been Replaced
DABBDE92-3F8B-454D-8DD0-2C62100B08AC.jpeg

Today we have glass guys coming to replace all of the glass/windows - 50 separate panes (25 windows). The seal is broken in all of the windows and all need to be replaced.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Our below normal temps continue to hang around with freeze warnings over the past few days. No wind today, sunny & bright.

View attachment 323689

Today we have glass guys coming to replace all of the glass/windows - 50 separate panes (25 windows). The seal is broken in all of the windows and all need to be replaced.
No dust gathering on this project!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

View attachment 323689

It sounds like you’re almost rebuilding it!