COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
That's a shame Ray, those walkers are such hard work - I had one when I broke my leg and it was exhausting.
I know there's not much room on board but will you able to take a wheelchair ?
I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip anyway.
I never thought about a wheelchair. My electric wheelchair is to heavy to get on the boat. A

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes - most houses in this area are covered with flat laying “shingles” made from asphalt/tar. New roof is costing $10,000 ?

➡️ Relatively lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to install, asphalt shingles are the best choice for most houses. They come in sheets that are layered on a roof to give the illusion of more expensive single shingles, such as cedar and slate, that are installed one shingle at a time.
Here in the UK, as you undoubtedly know but others may not, rooves are almost always covered in clay tiles, or slates. I don’t think I have ever seen in the UK a roof with shingles like those in the USA

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all.

Here in Kent we are struggling due to lack of rain. It’s been weeks since we had any significant rainfall. I have had to top up the pond with water from our rain butts twice already :( I hope it rains soon. I don’t want to be under water restrictions this summer.

On a happier note today, my rescue duties were to transport this little cutie to a conservation project. She’s a sub-adult female dormouse (not actually a mouse, but just looks like one). They’re critically endangered here in the UK. due to habitat loss. She had a narrow escape after hibernating in a bonfire pile. She will be part of a breeding programme and her offspring will be released back into the wild. She has to spend a few weeks in quarantine first though.

2A49A004-7DAD-4A5F-AA6D-7B8461FE4F46.jpegBA16DCFE-E9D7-4009-9CF2-406DAD40C7B9.jpeg052DF9C3-6261-49E4-9BFF-0127B0643B71.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here in the UK, as you undoubtedly know but others may not, rooves are almost always covered in clay tiles, or slates. I don’t think I have ever seen in the UK a roof with shingles like those in the USA

I don’t think so either. I know the old “keepers cottage” that I lived at for 5 years and all the buildings on the estate & village used those clay tiles. I once went up in the attic crawl space to check things out (strange noises) and was kind of surprized that i could see out in do many places!

Here, depending on the roof shingle quality, a new roof should last 20-30 years.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good evenooning all.

Here in Kent we are struggling due to lack of rain. It’s been weeks since we had any significant rainfall. I have had to top up the pond with water from our rain butts twice already :( I hope it rains soon. I don’t want to be under water restrictions this summer.

On a happier note today, my rescue duties were to transport this little cutie to a conservation project. She’s a sub-adult female dormouse (not actually a mouse, but just looks like one). They’re critically endangered here in the UK. due to habitat loss. She had a narrow escape after hibernating in a bonfire pile. She will be part of a breeding programme and her offspring will be released back into the wild. She has to spend a few weeks in quarantine first though.

View attachment 323603View attachment 323604View attachment 323605
Those guys are so darn cute!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good evenooning all. It’s been a lovely sunny day today.

Rescue baby bird feeding this morning was mostly about blackbirds today. They ranged from the feathered to a single pinky whose eyes hadn’t opened and needed feeds every 15 minutes.
View attachment 323544View attachment 323545
I also cleaned and fed a few pigeons including one from our garden that I took to Folly on Sunday. Not sure what’s wrong with our baby; it’s still out of sorts. Hopefully today’s faecal tests will show something.
View attachment 323548

And at home, four hedgehogs on camera
View attachment 323547
Do you expect that the pinkie will make it?

I love the hedgehog pics. Such big bodies on such tiny little legs ???

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi Cathie How did Sapphire behave at the vets?
It's not until May 5th. I'm glad because that gives me time to adjust and not be totally stressed out. The office is close to my house so it'll be a little less crazy for Sapphire maybe. I'm really glad that I don't have to do it. I know it's ridiculous and I'm not afraid of much but I just can't do that type of thing on an animal. I end up shaking from the inside out. I have to have Razberri's nails done at the vet too.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good evenooning all.

How sweet. She must be meant to live.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes I will be wobbling on my butt if it is to rough. ????
☺️ the one time I was glad to live in a small house was when I had a fractured knee cap. I kept a crutch at each doorway. And hopped along the furniture. There's also sliding around on your butt. I didn't have to use a walker or both crutches at the same time. They HURT. Where there's a will there's a way ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This week is flying by again and I don't seem to have achieved much at all.
Lola, on the other hand, has had a very busy day wandering in and out, even after dark - I may have to get him a TORTch ;)
He's had quite a few dandies and seems to have developed a liking for the flowers this year - he's always avoided them before. Not much sun today though but it's going to pretty sunny the next few days so hopefully he'll relax enough to bask and stock up with some uvb.
Like Linda, I'm hoping we get some rain soon.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evenooning all.

What a gorgeous little thing, he had a lucky escape.
I hope we get some rain soon too. I worry about the wildlife. I think there may be some next Weds.
I've been topping my frog pond from my water butt because that was getting really low and also filled some large plant saucers as extra bird baths, I have a few pairs of wood pigeons and collared doves visiting regularly so thought they may appreciate a bath.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow! That's quite a group of hedgehogs forming an orderly queue there
I think you're gonna need a bigger feeding station!

I hope all the chicks thrive. I can hear baby blackbirds near me. One of the houses is rented and the garden is a jungle. I worry that someone will come along and try to tidy it up. Hopefully not until after the chicks have fledged.
It's so cute to hear the baby birds ? They're always so much louder than the parents. I think the parents are feeding them nonstop just to try and shut them up.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yep.... i visited here once...

It's about 9 years since I was up that way with some of the family.
We did a tour of one of the old slate mines.
The area has one of the longest zipwires across the valley and one of the mines is now being used as an underground trampoline park. I hope to do the zipwire one day, but I don't think my knees will cope with trampolining anymore.