COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have a dentist appointment tomorrow. It's a new dentist, one that's closer to my house, and I'm obsessing a little - will I be able to find it? What time should I leave? Will I like him? Will it hurt?, etc. etc. And that got me to thinking about when I was a kid.

I grew up in San Francisco, and I was a 'kid' about 70 years ago. We lived at the far southern end of San Francisco, across the street from the Cow Palace. I had to take a bus to school (elementary school) - not a school bus, but the regular SF Municipal bus. It took about a half hour to get to school from my house.

So, back to the dentist. I don't remember anyone ever going with me to the dentist, who was in downtown San Francisco. I would get on the bus down at the corner, ride that bus up to Mission Street (about 15 minutes), transfer to another bus that went down Mission Street to Third and Market (almost to Fisherman's Wharf), then walk several blocks in down town San Francisco to the dentist.

Times have sure changed. I don't think there are any places in the U.S. anymore where an elementary school age kid could go by himself on the city bus, transferring to another bus safely.

By the time I was in high school I had to transfer busses twice before I got to school. . . over an hour.

I've never been on a bus here in Clovis/Fresno. But the busses here have a whole route they follow, taking one all over the city. The busses in San Francisco just go straight up one street, for miles and miles.

Going to a new dentist has dredged up all sorts of memories from my past. Do you all think I'm going to live through this new experience? We'll see. . .
Can you take your Dodge? With a friend? They'll probably only do X rays and stuff at the first appointment though.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well went to Bass pro shop for a few new fishing rods. Stopped at Sam's club for a new large cooler.
Recieved a disappointment yesterday. My prosthetic leg is not going to be ready for the fishing trip. ?
I will still be able to fish just fine. But now I will have to depend on my walker. It is hard on my ankle because I have to hop on my good leg. Then move the walker forward and then hop again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well went to Bass pro shop for a few new fishing rods. Stopped at Sam's club for a new large cooler.
Recieved a disappointment yesterday. My prosthetic leg is not going to be ready for the fishing trip. ?
I will still be able to fish just fine. But now I will have to depend on my walker. It is hard on my ankle because I have to hop on my good leg. Then move the walker forward and then hop again.
?? Hoping and praying it'll still be fun. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Good luck hope he's a good one and not too much treatment needed.
I have a long overdue appointment that you've reminded me I must book.
I had to cancel my last in Feb 2020 because I had a cold and cough, then my brother was ill followed by lockdown. They did ring me at the end of Sept to let me know they were taking appointments again but I was due to have my knee op and the melanoma removal, so couldn't book. By the time I was ready to go we were back in lockdown.
Last year some dentists were adding an additional charge of £30 for their own PPE and another £30 to sell patients a mask!!!! Daylight robbery!:mad:
If I remember I'll ring
Mine was a herniated dis
Oh that's to bad. Sciatica nerve pain is no fun. I have been putting off my lower back pain. There have been other parts of my body I needed to tend to first. I am gonna wait till I can't stand it anymore. Had L4,L5,S1 in my lower back operated on about 10 years ago.
Hope you feel better.
Mine was herniated disk at L4-L5 which was fixed. I also have extensive stenosis at L5-S1, arthritis throughout lower back & bone spurs. I'm just getting old, the sciatica pain is better but still debilitating. As you know much much better than me, the pain just wears you down because you can't fix nerve damage.

I bet your fishing trip can't come soon enough. My best to you & yours.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have a dentist appointment tomorrow. It's a new dentist, one that's closer to my house, and I'm obsessing a little - will I be able to find it? What time should I leave? Will I like him? Will it hurt?, etc. etc. And that got me to thinking about when I was a kid.

I grew up in San Francisco, and I was a 'kid' about 70 years ago. We lived at the far southern end of San Francisco, across the street from the Cow Palace. I had to take a bus to school (elementary school) - not a school bus, but the regular SF Municipal bus. It took about a half hour to get to school from my house.

So, back to the dentist. I don't remember anyone ever going with me to the dentist, who was in downtown San Francisco. I would get on the bus down at the corner, ride that bus up to Mission Street (about 15 minutes), transfer to another bus that went down Mission Street to Third and Market (almost to Fisherman's Wharf), then walk several blocks in down town San Francisco to the dentist.

Times have sure changed. I don't think there are any places in the U.S. anymore where an elementary school age kid could go by himself on the city bus, transferring to another bus safely.

By the time I was in high school I had to transfer busses twice before I got to school. . . over an hour.

I've never been on a bus here in Clovis/Fresno. But the busses here have a whole route they follow, taking one all over the city. The busses in San Francisco just go straight up one street, for miles and miles.

Going to a new dentist has dredged up all sorts of memories from my past. Do you all think I'm going to live through this new experience? We'll see. . .
I hope it’s going to be a much better experience for you ! Good luck.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon/morning all.
It definitely feels like spring today with the sun and warmer temps - set to continue into next week at least. We really need some rain now for the wildlife.

Lola has taken the plunge into tortoisehood and been right out in the garden, demolishing clumps of dandies and clover and basking in the sun. He hasn't wanted to stay out there for long and still needs the security of being able to come back in. Some noisy sparrows landed near him and he made a quick dash for the house like a big wuss, but it's lovely to see him out there and it's a massive step forward for him. I'm sure he'll eventually get used to the birds.
Well done Lola!! We are all proud of you.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
No, I'm 6 months post-surgery & it's looking like permanent sciatica nerve damage due to not being able to get medical care when I needed it.
I hate that. I remember hearing my grandmother say repeatedly that her sciatic nerve was acting up! Hopefully they can help you manage with some nerve meds..

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I am hoping there will be plenty of awesome experiences to make up for the let down! Darn!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good luck hope he's a good one and not too much treatment needed.
I have a long overdue appointment that you've reminded me I must book.
I had to cancel my last in Feb 2020 because I had a cold and cough, then my brother was ill followed by lockdown. They did ring me at the end of Sept to let me know they were taking appointments again but I was due to have my knee op and the melanoma removal, so couldn't book. By the time I was ready to go we were back in lockdown.
Last year some dentists were adding an additional charge of £30 for their own PPE and another £30 to sell patients a mask!!!! Daylight robbery!:mad:
If I remember I'll ring tomorrow.
I have been to my dentist this year and there were no unexpected surcharges thank goodness

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am hoping there will be plenty of awesome experiences to make up for the let down! Darn!!!
Me too! If the water happens to be a little rough out there. My leg would be pretty much useless. So it's not really much of a setback.
I have a prosthesist that does my arm. And had a different company and prosthesist for my leg. The last time they were here for my arm. I was having problems with my leg also. I switched to that person doing my arm and leg. I really haven't had good luck with the leg. So I am going back to the original company for my leg. They are located much closer, so there is no delay in getting things corrected sooner.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh that's to bad. Sciatica nerve pain is no fun. I have been putting off my lower back pain. There have been other parts of my body I needed to tend to first. I am gonna wait till I can't stand it anymore. Had L4,L5,S1 in my lower back operated on about 10 years ago.
Hope you feel better.
I had surgery on the L3/4 disk, twice in a fortnight, in 2004. I could only walk with the aid of crutches prior to surgery and the recovery was frustratingly slow. I was signed off work for 6 months. I also had no feeling in my left knee post surgery which made walking and kneeling “interesting”.

18 years later I still have to be careful with my back and end up in serious pain pretty regularly. Nothing like I was in the run up to surgery though. The knee mostly is OK now. If it starts to go numb I know there’s trouble with my back

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am sure you will enjoy the fishing anyway ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all. It’s been a lovely sunny day today.

Rescue baby bird feeding this morning was mostly about blackbirds today. They ranged from the feathered to a single pinky whose eyes hadn’t opened and needed feeds every 15 minutes.
CEB95DEE-80D3-4F94-BA95-004BF22A466C.jpegC0AE4F7C-D07E-4F4E-86B5-BCAC15A8F8F1.jpeg
I also cleaned and fed a few pigeons including one from our garden that I took to Folly on Sunday. Not sure what’s wrong with our baby; it’s still out of sorts. Hopefully today’s faecal tests will show something.
3A7BB70D-D0E8-4CCB-85DC-972020C751E0.jpeg

And at home, four hedgehogs on camera
DF6D872C-007C-4CF3-A6DF-CDFA87B7D7F2.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good evenooning all. It’s been a lovely sunny day today.

Rescue baby bird feeding this morning was mostly about blackbirds today. They ranged from the feathered to a single pinky whose eyes hadn’t opened and needed feeds every 15 minutes.
View attachment 323544View attachment 323545
I also cleaned and fed a few pigeons including one from our garden that I took to Folly on Sunday. Not sure what’s wrong with our baby; it’s still out of sorts. Hopefully today’s faecal tests will show something.
View attachment 323548

And at home, four hedgehogs on camera
View attachment 323547
At least our little one is still surviving ? That's a good sign. Since he's in a rescue he has time and help to recoup.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I hate that. I remember hearing my grandmother say repeatedly that her sciatic nerve was acting up! Hopefully they can help you manage with some nerve meds..
There are few drugs for nerve damage. None of them are pain relievers. Two of them that I've tried are primarily for depression, but their side effects sometimes reduce nerve inflammation.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have been to my dentist this year and there were no unexpected surcharges thank goodness
Hopefully they've stopped doing it now.
One of my sisters was quite shocked when her dentist told her about the charges. She told them she had her own masks but they said it had to be NHS standard. She works for the NHS so insisted she could bring her own. Unfortunately when she arrived and put it on one of the straps snapped - so she had to pay the £30 for one of theirs.