COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Wow Ray....are you sure those are from your cactus forest? I might have to make a road trip and help you harvest some of those pads! Wow! Check those roots closely and give them a smell....
I did smell the root when I broke it in half. I was hoping to smell pine tree but I didn't.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Where the roots live (green) cause if not it may have been from your neighbors tree. Firstly what the H3LL do you feed them to get them to grow like that

Yes, what i was thinking as well. They look like roots from a Pine tree in search of surface water, not the very ganglion roots assoc/w cactus. But hey, it’s Florida fresh, what the heck do i know!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Maybe the sand lets them root easier. Where I lived you also didn't have to dig very deep to get to water either. Just wondering.
Definitely sand. When they build homes here now. They bring in 3 to 4 ft. of fill before building. It is sand mostly. Nothing wants to grow in it. But the cactus do just fine. All our fruit trees, we had to dig a 3' diameter hole about 2' deep. Then fill with good dirt from home depot.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great! Let me know when you're a few minutes away from the house!

I’ll give you a few days notice..... a nice 8x8 pressure treated retainer wall along the front like @ALDABRAMAN has in front of his cactus fence would look nice.

You have a few (cheap) hotels near by? Any local kayaking?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I’ll give you a few days notice..... a nice 8x8 pressure treated retainer wall along the front like @ALDABRAMAN has in front of his cactus fence would look nice.

~ You can see our current wooden wall in this video. It is 2x10x10 pressure treated supported by 4x4 pressure treated poles. The truth is it works decent, however it rots and does not last. My new location is all concrete, way stronger and will not decay or rot.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ You can see our current wooden wall in this video. It is 2x10x10 pressure treated supported by 4x4 pressure treated poles. The truth is it works decent, however it rots and does not last. My new location is all concrete, way stronger and will not decay or rot.
156825693_1354711288223654_2291774646630707103_o.jpg148885280_1337888229905960_5901876443705920779_o.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Well you have the Indian river, and I think Turkey creek. There is a reservoir called Garcia reservoir that you could get up close and personal with the alligators. Also some great bird watching there. There are a few cheap hotels but the best deal is the holiday Inn.
I am going to have to build something like Aldabraman. Opo finally figured out how to get to the new growth on one of the starter cactus today. ?
20210413_170518.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.
Bright and sunny with temps reaching double figures today at 11C.
It will quite a bit warmer in my garden so hopefully Lola will be tempted out later but I wont hold my breath.
He didn't eat anything until 10. 30 last night in spite of being active all day.
I went to turn his lights off and he was tucking in to his pile of food and when I went back he'd eaten it all.
His routine is really strange at the moment but I can't think why. Nothing else has changed.
Still as long as he's active and eating I'm not going to worry too much about it.
I'm on British Summer Time but he's just working on Lolatime!
Have a good Wednesday!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all.
It will quite a bit warmer in my garden so hopefully Lola will be tempted out later but I wont hold my breath.
He didn't eat anything until 10. 30 last night in spite of being active all day.
I went to turn his lights off and he was tucking in to his pile of food and when I went back he'd eaten it all.
His routine is really strange at the moment but I can't think why. Nothing else has changed.
Still as long as he's active and eating I'm not going to worry too much about it.
Have a good Wednesday!
Lola just does things to be contrary . ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all.

I have been out with a torch peering under our shed. We have at least one hedgehog, probably two, sleeping under there. It seems an uncomfortable place as there are paving slabs there not bare earth. However, they have brought in quite a lot of leaves (and a piece of bubblewrap ☹️).

I am pretty sure one of them is the female that is being romanced at length. I need to move my trail cameras so we get a better idea of what is going on!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning all.
Have a good Wednesday!
Goodmorning Lyn, hope Lola figures it out. Has there been a weather change going on for a week or so? The winter to spring change had Opo acting strange for awhile.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning everyone! Had a cortisone shot in my meniscus of my left knee yesterday.? Been putting up with pain in that area for about 3 months. Everytime I transferred from my electric wheelchair to another chair or toilet. I experienced pain. Wanted to get the shot before I go fishing. It's nice to have relief from at least one nagging pain.?
Wish they made a shot to rid of all my pains with one shot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning everyone! Had a cortisone shot in my meniscus of my left knee yesterday.? Been putting up with pain in that area for about 3 months. Everytime I transferred from my electric wheelchair to another chair or toilet. I experienced pain. Wanted to get the shot before I go fishing. It's nice to have relief from at least one nagging pain.?
It's heck to have to live with pain all the time, Ray. Is there any end to it in sight?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Fingers crossed the shot helps, Ray!! Pain = Bad No Pain = Good

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ow...

I hope the shot brings the relief you need