COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hey! Picked a whole ton of bright yellow dandelions & other misc garden weeds today before the rains came. Beautiful big dandelions, yooooo hoooooo

ps @Ray--Opo my cactus pads have commenced growing again. I’ll have to take some new pix of all the new growth. I pretty much stopped watering all Winter, started a wee bit ofvwatering a few weeks ago, and viola, lots of new growth. I need to move them back outside now for Summer.

Banana tree shoots & leaves are growing. Mr Frost nipped a few tips last week, but no issues...
That's great. I am happy with the new pad growth I am getting also. My banana tree is back to normal. I hope its the kind that bare fruit.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If I'm understanding what you just said the roots didn't come from the joint ? they were growing from the flat side of the pad? If so those plants are invincible. I need to eat some too.?
Correct, the pad was lying flat on the ground. When I picked it up there must have been 50 or more inch roots.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Of course itʻs nice, the weather is great, we can go to the beach all year long, but we donʻt get nice perennials, and wildflowers like you do. Things are called by very different names here, that itʻs hard to identify plants even using the tortoise table. Who knew what we called milkweeds here are also called nipplowort? Okay, not the best of examples, but you get the picture. Everything has to be shipped in so prices are even higher due to shipping costs. The smaller islands? Hah! Milk is $10 a gallon. Iʻm not kidding. Great weather certainly doesnʻt pay the bills. The average price for a house - a modest 3 bedroom 2 bath with neighbors within spitting distance is about $850,000. So many families live in multi-generation houses, it's not uncommon for grandparents, parents, and kids to live together just to be able to have a house. The 3 bedrooms 1 bath house I live in - about 900 square feet is $2200 a month, not including utilities. I would much rather be living back in Texas, but my husband wonʻt budge.
When I was 5 years old my dad was stationed in Hawaii. I remember having to drink powder milk because regular milk was to expensive.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Sorry all, I just re read what I wrote about Hawaii and it sounded like a mad rant, I didn’t mean to sound like an ***. ? It’s pretty, expensive as all get out, but there are nice natives here, along with a vicious Russian tort and a farting sully ???

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
When I was 5 years old my dad was stationed in Hawaii. I remember having to drink powder milk because regular milk was to expensive.
Wow, yes things are crazy expensive here. Thank goodness I don’t smoke anymore , cigarettes are almost $10 a pack. Utter lunacy to keep smoking!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If I'm understanding what you just said the roots didn't come from the joint ? they were growing from the flat side of the pad? If so those plants are invincible. I need to eat some too.?
If you think about it, when a pad falls from a plant in the wild it will lay on its side. There’s nobody to stand it upright. It makes sense the pad will root like that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Finally checking out this thread, 8781 pages!!! Wow!

Spring has hit Philadelphia, my bulbs are working their way up and the forsythia has bloomed!
Hello and welcome to the CDR. I’m Linda and I live in Kent in South East England.

We’re an international bunch of idiots /friends here who sometimes talk tortoise and fairly regularly talk puns and nonsense.

Pull up an armadillo and the one-legged pirate will be along shortly to bring you your beverage of choice. The big armadillo is called Montgomery and is a very obliging coffee table, especially if you dust him or tickle him under the chin.

It’s rather gloomy in here, but the flying jellyfish glow a little brighter when you polish them. The blueberry ones seem to be glowing brightest at the moment.

Watch your step; it’s easy to stub your toe on the hedgehogs in the gloom. The wool spider, if she exists, seems to be in a better mood since we locked the leprechaun in a jellyfish tank. The snow leopard is very friendly and eats carrots :)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Mine was bad. I hate to even get into that but I got extremely hungry. Weird. It had to be specific things though. One night I ate iced sugar cookies (store bought) for dinner. Or fresh strawberries with ice cream was another craving. My 2 brothers got it and were only sick 2 or 3 days and yet they tested positive for it. The only reason why they were tested is because they'd been around me. I'm glad you did get to do your volunteer work. It's so rewarding to work with animals. The little ways they say thanks is wonderful even though experience teaches you sometimes what not to do.?
That’s very weird, maybe it was to do with not being able to taste anything apart from strong tasting sweet things. Glad you and your brothers are all ok now!
I've been working with some particular animals that have been in terrible conditions before they were brought in to the rescue, this made them extremely defensive. Over time with occasional interaction and handling they have got so much better!:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning All!
Good morning/afternoon Heather and all the rest of you lovely people out there.
It's still bright and sunny here but the wind picked up in the night and the temps have dropped.
They'll be sinking even further over the weekend and by Monday we'll have cold winds from the Arctic keeping our temps around 8C again with the possibility of wintery showers.
It's the wildlife I feel sorry for, with these fluctuating temps but I'm sure they have their ways of coping.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That's great. I am happy with the new pad growth I am getting also. My banana tree is back to normal. I hope its the kind that bare fruit.

Lots of water, every day. Luckily, yours is in ground so you can probably water less. During Summer, I provide about 5 or 10 gallons per day. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
???????? our temps have dramatically dropped here and we received a ton of rain. Trees are starting to bud, I see green buds on the Persimmon, Dogwood buds, and fig trees are leafing out. Grass growing n green. Dandelions - blooming. Picked a good bucket of weeds for our Sully. Devoured & looking for more.

Next week, back to normal temps in the 70’s. Time to kick Spring gardening into gear.

Im thinking of building two of these Adirondack chairs for the newly planked deck....

FC58FB05-3EEE-4920-904D-D875867BDE3E.jpeg

Or a proper bench, but not sure I want to tackle this one yet.

A36096A6-2C47-4278-9425-0B94BC234216.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Lots of water, every day. Luckily, yours is in ground so you can probably water less. During Summer, I provide about 5 or 10 gallons per day. ?
We had a great amount of rain last night. Hopefully the afternoon summer rains are beginning. I took a 5 gallon pail and timed how long it took to fill with the hose. So that is how many minutes I water the trees. Figured it has to be a close measurement.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The prosthesist came today with my new leg socket for a fitting. It fit perfect. Should have my new leg in a few weeks.
My son with covid is struggling, went to the hospital yesterday but oxygen saturation was good and lungs were clear. So they sent him home.
My God child in the Philippines is recovering well from dengue. Had a scare for a few days because he was admitted back in the hospital. White blood cells kept rising. Awhile back another family member lost a infant to leukemia. So that was a worry on everyone's mind. But the antibiotics finally started working. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The prosthesist came today with my new leg socket for a fitting. It fit perfect. Should have my new leg in a few weeks.
My son with covid is struggling, went to the hospital yesterday but oxygen saturation was good and lungs were clear. So they sent him home.
My God child in the Philippines is recovering well from dengue. Had a scare for a few days because he was admitted back in the hospital. White blood cells kept rising. Awhile back another family member lost a infant to leukemia. So that was a worry on everyone's mind. But the antibiotics finally started working. ?

wow Ray, hang in there.