COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
you ever have black pudding? now theres a weird one for you. Tastes a bit like italian salami to me.
Really? Where on earth did you try black pudding?

Nothing like salami. The texture and flavour are very different. You eat it hot and it’s rich and peppery. Delicious as part of a cooked breakfast accompanying Eggs and Bacon :)

There are some pretty terrible black puddings sold that are basically peppery breadcrumbs with lumps of fat in. You need a good one from a butcher :)

As for Haggis, the old joke is that they roam wild in the Highlands of Scotland and have 2 legs shorter than the other 2 so they can go up mountains more easily. :D

Haggis is also delicious. Again quite peppery. We bought one and had it for dinner on Sunday accompanied by mashed potatoes and mashed swede (aka yellow turnip... in Scotland “tatties and neeps”)

A lot of people don’t like or won’t eat offal, but we do :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Nothing like salami. The texture and flavour are very different. You eat it hot and it’s rich and peppery. Delicious as part of a cooked breakfast accompanying Eggs and Bacon :)

There are some pretty terrible black puddings sold that are basically peppery breadcrumbs with lumps of fat in. You need a good one from a butcher :)

As for Haggis, the old joke is that they roam wild in the Highlands of Scotland and have 2 legs shorter than the other 2 so they can go up mountains more easily. :D

Haggis is also delicious. Again quite peppery. We bought one and had it for dinner on Sunday accompanied by mashed potatoes and mashed swede (aka yellow turnip... in Scotland “tatties and neeps”)

I've never seen swede here but I absolutely love regular mashed turnips if cooked right. My mother and grandmother cooked them to death and almost made me hate them. Then a Canadian friend cooked them correctly. I now cook them every once in awhile. Mashed with butter.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

I live in wales, I said it reminds me a bit of salami, obviously texture is different, Americans dont have anything that tastes close to it. I dont mind it, but it doesnt taste like breakfast to me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I live in wales, I said it reminds me a bit of salami, obviously texture is different, Americans dont have anything that tastes close to it. I dont mind it, but it doesnt taste like breakfast to me.
Find yourself a really good butcher one day and avoid the supermarket black plastic tubes. It’s really good with baked beans too :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you take the skin off the haggis and slice it up, then bake it until it crisps up, it is actually very nice, served with mashed potato and sweet potato together (it should be swede, not sweet potato, but we don't like that much.) We even have it occasionally during the year, as well as Burns night.
My brother in law and nephews love it with 'neeps and tatties'

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've never seen swede here but I absolutely love regular mashed turnips if cooked right. My mother and grandmother cooked them to death and almost made me hate them. Then a Canadian friend cooked them correctly. I now cook them every once in awhile. Mashed with butter.
I think swedes are called rutabaga in some parts of the US, Cathie.
Maybe you've seen that?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

I won't eat it.
Just the thought of it puts me off.?
I rarely eat meat these days.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you take the skin off the haggis and slice it up, then bake it until it crisps up, it is actually very nice, served with mashed potato and sweet potato together (it should be swede, not sweet potato, but we don't like that much.) We even have it occasionally during the year, as well as Burns night.

Yep. That’s how I have had most of the haggis prepared that I've had on my plate. Quite tasty really. Many many trips throughout Scotland over my years spent in North Yorkshire. Definitely on Robbie Burns night,

➡️➡️ Neeps and tatties are a classic Scottish dish – the 'neeps' means swede or turnip and the 'tatties' refer to potatoes. Traditionally they're served mashed separately alongside haggis, although some recipes suggest mashing them together.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Maybe you've seen that?

Yep.....”we” have it...

Rutabaga or swede is a root vegetable, a form of Brassica napus. Other names include Swedish turnip, neep and turnip – however, elsewhere the name "turnip" usually refers to the related white turnip. The species Brassica napus originated as a hybrid between the cabbage and the turnip.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe you've seen that?
Yes I have. I got turned against turnips young (as I said). But it turned out cooked right, they are a veggie I really like. Now I guess I'll try rutabaga too. I'm assuming they should be cooked about the same.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep.....”we” have it...

Rutabaga or swede is a root vegetable, a form of Brassica napus. Other names include Swedish turnip, neep and turnip – however, elsewhere the name "turnip" usually refers to the related white turnip. The species Brassica napus originated as a hybrid between the cabbage and the turnip.
I love both. I especially love fried cabbage.